Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EP35-DS3 broken? Problems prevent reinstalling Vista, system unstable.

Default Re: EP35-DS3 broken? Problems prevent reinstalling Vista, system unstable.

Good to see you got it going now... and from now on you know that, when it comes to 2x2GB, Auto is just not an option... hope everythin keeps working for you, and if you have any other problems, dont hesitate to ask

EDIT: No worries LSD, pleasure to help you out
    NZXT Lexa BlackLine Case with Red LEDs
    Corsair TX-750 Modular PSU
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3P (BIOS F7)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.73GHz (downclocked for the summer )
    OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Heatsink
    2x 2GB Kingston HyperX RAM PC2-6400 @ 996MHz (4-5-5-15)
    3x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB HDD in RAID5
    2x HIS Radeon HD 4850 @ 745/1090 in CrossFireX
    2x ThermalTake DuOrb GPU Heatsink
    D-Link Super G PCI WLAN Adapter
    Asus Lightscribe 20x SATA II DVD-DL Burner
    Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
    2x 22" LG W2252TQ-PF Widescreen LCD Monitor (YAY!! Finally got the second one!!)

Default Re: EP35-DS3 broken? Problems prevent reinstalling Vista, system unstable.

Quote Originally Posted by BongWizard View Post
    Good to see you got it going now... and from now on you know that, when it comes to 2x2GB, Auto is just not an option... hope everythin keeps working for you, and if you have any other problems, dont hesitate to ask

EDIT: No worries LSD, pleasure to help you out
    To be fair though, my board and memory (see sig) will run memtest all day (and all night) without error with everything set to Auto.

The main reason I change the settings to the ones I've listed (above in his thread), is that when i start to stress the setup ie overclock minimally, it doesn't take much of an overclock increase for memtest to fail.

So for me, my OCZ memory and with different bios versions I've tried for this board so far, work without error "straight from the box".
    The fact that tweaking the settings affords greater headroom before errors occur is something I prefer.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Nice to see you are up and running smoothly now man!

If you would like to know some performance adjustments, please post me your full settings you are using now and I will post back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Nice to see you are up and running smoothly now man!

If you would like to know some performance adjustments, please post me your full settings you are using now and I will post back.
    Just reinstalled vista, I had some application crashes with the settings I used in my previous post, so I changed them like this:

performance enhance = standard
    mem = 5-5-5-18
    DDR overvoltage=+0.3V (becomes 2.1V which is the specification of my mem)
    tRFC = 56

others are left as default, which is "normal" or "auto", depending on setting.

My goal is now stability and serenity. So far Vista uptime 40 minutes without application crashes.

So far, so good.

Now, to installing Steam...

Sounds good!

Ya, after a while if you want to try to tweak things a little bit just let us know and we will advise you.

I say that because again Auto is for sure not best for performance

Quote Originally Posted by eikka View Post
    Just reinstalled vista, I had some application crashes with the settings I used in my previous post, so I changed them like this:

performance enhance = standard
    mem = 5-5-5-18
    DDR overvoltage=+0.3V (becomes 2.1V which is the specification of my mem)
    tRFC = 56

others are left as default, which is "normal" or "auto", depending on setting.

My goal is now stability and serenity. So far Vista uptime 40 minutes without application crashes.

So far, so good.

Now, to installing Steam...
    I'm running the same OCZ Spec memory as you (although a different OCZ Product) and near enough the same settings.

Mine are at:-

5-5-5-18
    1.84 Volts (Manual - But No adjustment from Base)
    tRFC = 56
    Performance Enhance = Standard
    And a very small overclock Mem @ 408/816

I haven't needed to change any voltages from Auto, nor does the Minor Overclock "Hit" the first threshold for an Auto Voltage Level increase either.

I have run Memtest All night, ran 3dMark Vantage & 2005 Pro along with Prime95 and not had a problem.

I would have thought with 5-5-5-18 you could easily relax the DDR2 Voltage down to 2.0Volts without any problems at all (possibly lower)
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Bad news, guys... My new vista install is not stable. Applications fail at the boot and on launch; for example skype and sidebar seem to crash often in startup. Also, programs like Media Player Classic have difficulties launching... I didn't have these problems with these software before the last weekend's crash..

I have run Prime95 and superpi successfully in Windows for about 15-20 minutes with CPU temps rising to 70 without crashes, and memory tests give still clean results.

Event log is full of various errors, such as these:

*Faulting application sidebar.exe, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791952a, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a76d, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00029494, process id 0xcac, application start time 0x01c929805c437c73.

*The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{46DBB475-978D-4B3B-A7EF-5AC78C3E246D}. The backup browser is stopping.

*Unable to initialize the security package Kerberos for server side authentication. The data field contains the error number.

ÄVolume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:
    Gathering Writer Data

Context:
    Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
    Writer Name: System Writer
    Writer Instance ID: {a04b5a41-57d2-483d-a4d8-58b530e934fd}

etc...

I feel pretty helpless at this point...

I haven't touched any BIOS defaults for PCIe, yet.. I have checked the HDD with WD's drive checker tool and it was ok. Thanks for the HDD Life tip, does the free version also work after the trial time has ended?

Regarding the crashes of various programs in the start-up: It seemed to have been caused by Gigabyte's DES and Ati Tray Tools "crapware"... They are now erased from the sphere of my existence (and good riddance to them).

The other errors in the event log were mostly caused by problems in the Windows Networking Master Browser operation and some commonly known faults, such as failure to initialize Kerberos etc.

As a result, system has become a bit more stable now. After I get my DVB-C gear and video codecs up and running I'll ease up.

What a week it has been... *sigh*

Not sure about that trial? If not, just uninstall it and clean the reg of all mention and reinstall it.

If you are overclocking AT ALL, please DO set PCI Express freq to 100

DES, and ATI tools work ok here. But I do only have them installed for testing, and I do not use them or let them launch at startup or anything

Well good luck on getting the rest of your setup going. And glad to hear you are running a bit smoother now!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information