Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-MA78GPM-DS2H 07B STOP error loading xp

Default GA-MA78GPM-DS2H 07B STOP error loading xp

noob here - first time on TT. I bought this new GB mobo and can't get xp installed on it. Vista just hangs. On XP it blue screens with 0x000007B stop error. Most of my Googling has been leading me to this forum. Lots of great info. Most of my troubleshooting ideas have come off this site. I just can't seem to get this machine up after trying on and off for over a month. Maybe someone can shed some insight?
    I've got 2 SATA HDD's I tried. Both fairly new, no jumpers. Tried using the MSI SB700 RAID drivers as nanohead suggested in another TT forum. My HDD's are on SATA II Port 0. Tried Native IDE in Bios thinking that might do it. No love. Tried moving the memory sticks one at a time to the first position. No go. Afraid to reload the BIOS after reading nanohead's dreadful RMA saga with the GA-MA78GM boards. did the F6 to load drivers with BIOS set for AHCI on ports 0-3. Tried choosing "optimised settings" in Bios. I would love to get this board going.
    Details:
    500GB WD Caviar WD5000AAKS
    500GB Maxtor DiamondMax 21
    AMD Athlon X2 BE-2300
    Kingston DDR2 2GB PC6400 KHX6400D2LLK2/2GR
    Antec TruePower Trio 430W
    Sony IDE DVD Drive DRU-170C

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-MA78GPM-DS2H 07B STOP error loading xp

Those drives may need to be setup on a different System or DOS for first use, many do. Often disks must be setup for first use, formatted and set Active with a program. Here is the tools for your disks to do this with. You want Data Lifeguard tools 11.2 Not diagnostics. Choose For DOS or Windows on another PC, then run it and choose "Setup disk for first Use", and choose Operating system not storage. >>>
    WD Support > Downloads > SATA Hard Drives > WD Caviar Blue / SE / SE16 (SATA II)

Guide >>
    http://www.wdc.com/en/library/sata/2779-001006.pdf

Have you tested these disks in another system to be sure they are not DOA? Happens often, especially with that Caviar

And yes, you would need the proper settings in the BIOS. And I think this may be your initial issue, as that Stop code is a boot device error code, meaning improper BIOS settings or Dead/not active disk

Here is what you should set for a NON RAID/AHCI setup in your BIOS. You will need to laod drivers via F6 for XP and Load driver button for vista, with either method. Be sure you are using the proper Driver for each method. >>>

OnChip SATA Controller ___________ Enabled
    OnChip SATA Type _______________ Native IDE
    OnChip SATA Port 4/5 Mode _______ IDE or As Sata Type (May be locked when using IDE above)

For AHCI >>>>

OnChip SATA Type _______________ AHCI
    OnChip SATA Port 4/5 Mode _______ As Sata Type (Or IDE if you want to use CD/DVD drives on port 4/5)

Thanks LsdMeAsap! I've marked my answers below with ****** I'm new at this; sorry if that's not forum etiquette.
    Those drives may need to be setup on a different System or DOS for first use, many do. Often disks must be setup for first use, formatted and set Active with a program. Here is the tools for your disks ...
    *****Thanks Lsdmeasap. I went ahead and used the WD Data Lifeguard tools and tried loading XP again. Still Blue Screen Stop Error :(
    Have you tested these disks in another system to be sure they are not DOA? Happens often, especially with that Caviar

And yes, you would need the proper settings in the BIOS. And I think this may be your initial issue, as that Stop code is a boot device error code, meaning improper BIOS settings or Dead/not active disk

Here is what you should set for a NON RAID/AHCI setup in your BIOS. You will need to laod drivers via F6 for XP and Load driver button for vista, with either method. Be sure you are using the proper Driver for each method. >>>

OnChip SATA Type _______________ Native IDE
    OnChip SATA Port 4/5 Mode _______ IDE or As Sata Type (May be locked when using IDE above)
    ***** Tried it that way again.
    For AHCI >>>>

OnChip SATA Type _______________ AHCI
    OnChip SATA Port 4/5 Mode _______ As Sata Type (Or IDE if you want to use CD/DVD drives on port 4/5)[/quote]
    ***** Yeah tried that too, again.
    ***** I bet I'm missing something here. Let me try using nLite to slipstream the RAID drivers and see if maybe my floppy or drivers floppy disk is giving me trouble. Or maybe somehow I've managed to load the wrong drivers. That would be embarressing. Only other thing I can think to try is to install to an old IDE drive, then try installing a SATA boot drive from there. You think that would make sense to try?

i don't believe it. That fixed the stop error. (the nLite slipstreaming.) Never did I think that would work. Go figure. I think this diskette drive is from the 80s. Thanks for the help LSDmeASAP! I really needed to get this machine off the ground. The verification that I was at least a little on the right track was more helpful than you think! Man am I glad i didn't have to RMA this thing. I was worried I'd do just that and get the new board back and have the same problem.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Nice! Glad to see you got it going! Musta been that drive or floppy then, since you used the same driver via slipstream

Next time, keep in mind with vista you can load the drivers off a CD or USB stick, sorry if I did not mention that. I thought you just needed the right BIOS settings or the disk set active, which you could have + a working floppy would have helped.

Glad you got it man, and glad I could help to reassure you in your thoughts. And that you did not RMA for a new board and end up at square one again!

Post back anytime if you need help with anything else, and enjoy your new board!!

Hi People,

Just registered here to add my 2cents as i have had similar grief, this may be of some assistance to other system builders..

I had a fairly basic system build ( I thought!), an XP system with a GA-MA78GPM-DS2H in a P180 case with 2x2gig DDR modules (...for future Vista dual boot), and 2x1tb Samsung SATA HDDs in a RAID mirror.

Its a long story - but one of the HDDs was a RAID mirror from another of my systems so the initial boot of this new box went straight into VISTA64, picking up the old image no problems! so far so good.. and the recovery experiment passed with flying colours.

Next i format the regroomed HDD and RAID1 the disk with the new 1tb mirror, this system is initially only going to run XP and needs a stack of redundant storage .

I load the SB700 RAID controllers from the Gigabyte CD to floppy for later F6'ing and fire up the installer, as per the original OP i get a BSOD during 'starting Windows' section of install with the standard 'i can't see the HDD' type error codes. I have to say i tried various OS CDs, XP pro, XP home - with various versions of the SB700 controller drivers and each time i got the same BSOD. Each time i cleared out the MBR, deleted and readded the RAID and started again, even tried plugging in different BIOS settings as per the above, it was all to no avail. I'm starting to think the controllers RAID functionality is actually flawed.

In the end i do what any sane person would do - i ask Google.. and i hit on the same MSI driver offhand comments.

At the end of the day it is now fixed, the ONLY way my OS would load is with the MSI SB700 controller drivers. Once everything was loaded i installed the motherboard utilities AVOIDING the temptation of trying the Gigabyte RAID controller driver from the CD. I'm not even too sure what the purpose is of loading that AFTER the OS is loaded as you wouldnt actually get to that point without it!

Anyway, anyone else out there who is running in ever decreasing circles screaming 'dont make me send my motherboard back' should give the MSI drivers a try before sending their Giga board back as DOA.

Can anybody confirm whether they have used the supplied Gigabyte controller drivers on a RAID1 configuration? Having tried unsuccessfully with the supplied CD, and the most current drivers off the Gigabyte website i would be interested to know..

Cheers,
    MrC

Thread Information