Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Initial & Optimal settings for Mushkin XP2-8500 2x4GB RAM?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Initial & Optimal settings for Mushkin XP2-8500 2x4GB RAM?

Anytime man, I try to be sure to not miss a post and keep on top of people who have not replied back. Just to be sure things are ok.

About this >>>
    Voltage:
    CPU Vcore = 1.35
    CPU Termination = 1.34
    CPU PLL = 1.57 (closest available setting to your recommended 1.56)
    CPU Reference = 1.873 (.755 * 64% = .8576 rounded to .875 nearest setting)
    (btw there is no CPU Reference2 setting in this bios that I can find)

ICH/MCH:
    MCH Core = 1.34 (closest avail to your recommended 1.35)
    MCH Reference = .760 (you say 'leave' but refer to stock setting of .800?)
    MCH I/O = 1.500 (again you say 'leave' but refer to a stock setting of 1.550)

When I say leave, I only meant leave at Auto. And the numbers in my templates are just that, random numbers. All CPU's and different speeds will provide different values. And the reference voltages will self adjust in Auto, or manual depending on what you set your CPU Termination to.

Skews, can be tested first or last and mainly help in stability more then anything else.

Just trying to comment as I read, bad habit I guess. I read a paragraph and reply, so I dont get lost in my thoughts

Intel Burn test IS going to be HOT, I know it is a cool new test. But it is HOT, something most are not ready to see. I dont use it myself as I am on water and still see temps I do not like.

I stick to orthos/memtest86+ myself

The 9500 is a good cooler, but not really up to todays Dual Core CPU's. I was just using a 9700 and my 4ghz temps would hit 70's as well, so I have no doubt yours do. It is normal for that cooler. It is/was a good cooler when it came out, pre-dual core. I used my 9700 with a PD 925, Xeon 3075 (E6750), and my Xeon E3100 (E8400) I am using now, temps were acceptable at high overclocks but I knew they was much better air cooling solutions out there. I just kept it coming from the Pentium D as I planned to move to water. There are some VERY nice, much cooler heatsinks made for todays CPU's. Aside from my suggestions I am sure others will chime in as well about this to add to my few suggestions below

I suppose if you do want to run 4Ghz or so you should invest in a better cooler. ThermalRight Ultra 120 if it will fit in your case, if not maybe one of the Xigmatek 120 models or a Tuniq tower. Just measure/read your case specs and Heatsink specs before you buy, if you do decide to get another cooler.

Yes, you are partially going about things correctly. Saving bootable profiles is good, but I assume you know you would later have to go into each and adjust/test/adjust them to get stability in each.. If that was your plans, then yes you are on the right track.

Well if you are into energy saving, you cannot be a overclocker at the same time!

But yeah, you will have much better frame-rates and game performance once you tighten things up

Thanks for the kind words, and I do suggest a better cooler if you plan to run a high overclock and or game 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Anytime man, I try to be sure to not miss a post and keep on top of people who have not replied back. Just to be sure things are ok.

About this >>>

When I say leave, I only meant leave at Auto. And the numbers in my templates are just that, random numbers. All CPU's and different speeds will provide different values. And the reference voltages will self adjust in Auto, or manual depending on what you set your CPU Termination to.
    That's what I figured, thanks for the clarification.

Skews, can be tested first or last and mainly help in stability more then anything else.
    Interesting... So they don't effect performance? How do you go about finding the ideal skew for a given setup? Can you point me to some guidelines somewhere?

Just trying to comment as I read, bad habit I guess. I read a paragraph and reply, so I dont get lost in my thoughts
    Same here. It's kind of a stream of consciousness thing

Intel Burn test IS going to be HOT, I know it is a cool new test. But it is HOT, something most are not ready to see. I dont use it myself as I am on water and still see temps I do not like.
    Yeah, I guess it's good at seeing what the worst/worst case looks like, but I doubt any typical application, even games subjects the CPU to full blast compute cycles for more than a few moments at a time. Even Crysis on a benchmark_cpu run didn't see these high temps, so I think you're right about Intel Burn Test.

Just curious, what temps do (did) you see in BurnTest on water?

I stick to orthos/memtest86+ myself
    Ok, I'll give those a try and see how things run.

The 9500 is a good cooler, but not really up to todays Dual Core CPU's. I was just using a 9700 and my 4ghz temps would hit 70's as well, so I have no doubt yours do. It is normal for that cooler. It is/was a good cooler when it came out, pre-dual core. I used my 9700 with a PD 925, Xeon 3075 (E6750), and my Xeon E3100 (E8400) I am using now, temps were acceptable at high overclocks but I knew they was much better air cooling solutions out there. I just kept it coming from the Pentium D as I planned to move to water. There are some VERY nice, much cooler heatsinks made for todays CPU's. Aside from my suggestions I am sure others will chime in as well about this to add to my few suggestions below
    Huh... I was under the apparently mistaken impression that die-shrinks & process improvements allowed the new stuff to run cooler, quieter, and suck less juice from the wall... I've observed this to be true, at least until I overclocked ans saw the kill-a-watt register a 50-80 watt jump in power consumption!

I suppose if you do want to run 4Ghz or so you should invest in a better cooler. ThermalRight Ultra 120 if it will fit in your case, if not maybe one of the Xigmatek 120 models or a Tuniq tower. Just measure/read your case specs and Heatsink specs before you buy, if you do decide to get another cooler.
    Well, it's not that overclocking is my primary goal, I'm just looking to get the best price/performance out of my rig while keeping it stable and not hurting it's long-term durability. (This being the computer industry, long-term = anything above 2-years! ;-))

Yes, you are partially going about things correctly. Saving bootable profiles is good, but I assume you know you would later have to go into each and adjust/test/adjust them to get stability in each.. If that was your plans, then yes you are on the right track.

Well if you are into energy saving, you cannot be a overclocker at the same time!
    Touche! Well, my ideal setup would run low-power/cool-n-quiet at idle, then ramp up to max stable overclock when under load. The Gigabyte dynamic energy saver stuff does work, I just wish it saved more power than it does.

But yeah, you will have much better frame-rates and game performance once you tighten things up

Thanks for the kind words, and I do suggest a better cooler if you plan to run a high overclock and or game 24/7
    Well, I hppe you're being paid somehow or your work here, if not you deserve a medal!

IMHO, for what it's worth, you've got a TON of knowledge to share. You would be well served by setting up nice, clear, well-structured FAQs that preempt these dumb questions like mine that you have probably answered far too many times in the past!

[quote=Lsdmeasap;264151]

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

WOW, trying to loose me in those quotes eh!

Skew is a trail and error thing only, there is no real reading on it that I know of. Yes, i did look just now for ya as well with no luck

I have not tweaked this board yet so not sure, on my P35 I did still see about 60-65 or so load temps with it at 4Ghz. I do not have a very good Rad right now though either. Orthos temps are mid 50's @4Ghz for me as of now, but my voltage still needs to go up a notch or two I think, just haven't had time to get in there yet

Yeah, it is true smaller die means less Voltage needed and thus less heat output.... But ONLY at stock. Overclocking is still the same as you pump in the volts the temps go up dramtically

Well then maybe you should be trying fro 3.6-3.8 for a trade off between the best temps
    and speeds

Have you changed anything in DES? I think it is user adjustable. And I do know for sure you can set several things in vista's Power options if you use EIST and C1E

Na no payments, nor do I work here. Just a loyal Gigabyte supporter. Thanks for the kind words!!

Ya, I do have a list of Guides/FAQ's that I still need to post up. Just never have time and I kinda am thinking we have too many stickies as it is? What do you think about that?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information