Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte motherboard - GA-EP45-DS3 reboot loop

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Gigabyte motherboard - GA-EP45-DS3 reboot loop

Gigabyte boards have a 3 year warranty. Have you tried only one stick of ram in slot one? Have you tested each stick in another system to be sure the ram is not faulty?

What ram is this exactly anyway? Got a link to it please.

Have you cleared the CMOS fully? If you have or not, try again using the method in post # 2 here >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

ATX 12V 8pin connected?

Try it Out of the case, OFF the motherboard tray on a box or wooden table, with ONLY the CPU/Heatsink, one stick of ram, And your GFX card... NOTHING ELSE and see if it will start. A bad drive can cause a system to be unbootable

What GFX card do you have and what PSU and are you SURE your PSU can power your card and everything else?

Hi,
    I got a replacement board today and it does the same. These are the serial numbers
    sn083200043116
    sn083000064010

The two PSUs (which are both fine) I've tested with are Fortron Epsilon 700, Enermax Galaxy 850
    The RAM 1GB DDR2 800 A-Data
    The CPU is C2 Duo E8400

The CPU and the two rams were tested on another system and worked.

What I noticed with the first board is that initially the problem showed whenever there was ram installed in slot1. It started fine with one ram installed in any of the other three slots or two rams in slots two and four. There was a message which I don't remember - something bios-related which it was looking for in the hard disk (the hard disk is new with nothing installed on it). Then after a few starts like this, each time showing the message it stopped starting at all no matter where the ram was installed. With only the cpu installed and no ram the board beeps for ram and turns on and off. The boards were tested on its package box not in the case (so I'm sure nothing was shorting it underneath) . I tried clearing the cmos several times - shorting the jumper, removing the battery and shorting the terminals, keeping it without battery for half an hour.

I suppose I can start the second board with the rams in different slots and try to flash the bios but this is my backup plan since it may void the warranty.

You will not void your warranty by flashing the BIOS.

That "BIOS Releated" message sounds to me like the Corrupt BIOS Boot Block message you would receive if you messed up the BIOS and it would search the HPA Section of your drive for a backup BIOS, and then if none found it would pull the backup BIOS off the second chip on the board

If your new board came to you stating this message at startup then it was likely not new, and had a corrupt boot block when it left the store or Gigabyte as you would have to actually use the system before you could do that to it yourself. And you have not, so it is likely a Already RMA's board that was corrupted by someone else and they just gave it to you

What I would do is like you said try to get one stick of ram to work so you can flash the BIOS with Qflash. If no luck, this would be my personal thought, I would try to borrow another brand of ram just to be sure that maybe those sticks are not causing some incompatibility issue.

If you have no luck getting a stick to work so you can flash try to clear the CMOS fully and then try again (My Clear CMOS Method here, a few things more then you mention) >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

If no luck, you are going to have to RMA the board again..... And I would be very short with whomever I spoke to on the Phone about it (Meaning if you can for sure CALL them about this issue, like if you are still RMA's to a online retailer)

Hi again and thanks for the reply.
    This is what happened with the second board so far. Like the first one it started fine when there was no memory in slot one. I loaded optimized defaults, moved the ram to slot one - no success. Changed the ddr voltage to 2.0 (it was 1.8), again no success when I moved the stick to slot one. Installed XP, downloaded bios F7 for ep45-ds3 rev 1.0 from the Gigabyte site and put it in a separate 1gb partition on the hd. (The original bios on the board was f6). Flashed it with Qflash. On the next reboot (it showed F7) I loaded the optimized defaults, checked that it recognizes the hd. The next reboot tried with memory in slot one - again no success. Next reboot with the ram in another slot tried to load windows it was looking for bios image on the hd. So finaly I ended up with a dead board like the first one. Clearing the cmos didn't help (I'll check to see what additional steps you mention in your method). From what I've read you can only flash the BIOS on the main chip, not on the backup chip. If this is so, why does it fail to load it from the backup?
    At this point I'm seriously considering giving up on this board model, will probably go back to p35 chipset.

PS. Forgot to mention the current state of the board - when there is ram in any slot it plays one long beep and then reboots.
    Last edited by lbh; 12-18-2008 at 05:54 PM.

Hi, I thought I'd drop by and say how it all ended. It might be of use to somebody.
    I switched to ga-ep35-ds4 and it all went fine (same memory sticks and cpu).

This week I bought a mainboard GA-EP45-DS2 and also have the same problem what nlwelle has.
    my configuration is
    Mainboard GA-EP45-DS3
    4X1GB DDR Apacer PC6400
    PCI Express GeForce 8600 GT
    Intel Duo2Core E6700 2.66GH
    Sata harddisk 160 GB

Can anyone help me how to solve this problem. I have been trying to install Windows Vista, after a short time it freezes. Sometimes the computer starts 4 to 5 times. Turns off and automatic starts again. Can anyone help to solve this problem. I have been working years with Gigabyte mainboards but this time it's working on my nerves.
    Tkxs

honestly i'd go into the bios and underclock everything to see what happens. put the chip on a 6x multiplier. run the ram at a 333 2.0 B multiplier and put in the manufacturer settings. Its possible the board can't figure out the proper default settings for your parts.

outside of that, then you need to start thinking RMA

fwiw , I had this exact same problem with my Asus P5w-DH deulxe and a Q6600 slacr . Like the above posts, I tried different dimms in different slots, different HD's, different Video cards in different slots, clear cmos jumper, remove battery, remove all usb and 1394 headers, no matter what, I couldnt get into the bios. I tried with no HD, no CD, no dimms and even no cpu. I tried the cpu in another mobo and I got the same behavior so I concluded it was the CPu.

The rebooting loop did not happen in either mobo when that cpu was removed. Alot of people are having this problem and in different Mobo's . No one seems to really know what it is ... I RMA's the cpu and I decided on a different mobo, a GA-ep45c-ud3r , now im confused as I see people are having the same issue on Gigabytes and other Mobo's . . . Strange, but the common denominator in all the "Reboot Loop" threads are dual and quad core intel CPU's . . .

Edit... on the rare occasion i could get into bios for a brief moment, I was able to "load Safe defaults" . This had worked months before when I was trying to recognize my velociraptor. Got it working and always used "load defaults" to recover from a prob....but not this time... just "restart... reboot, restart, reboot 4ever" If I got into bios, I could only stay there a brief moment before, blank screen, rebooting loop start... no beeps, no message. . . never had anything like this in countless builds and re-builds over 13yrs .
    Last edited by subwayrocket; 08-09-2009 at 11:36 PM.

I have:

-Gigabyte EP43-UD3L
    -Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
    -2GB G.skill DDR2-1066 (2x1GB)
    -nVidia 880gtx 768mb

I experienced the reboot loop after forced shutdowns (holding power button down for 5 seconds to shut power off).

I found that the reboot loop went away if I removed my PCI-E card and instead used an old Mach64 PCI graphics card. Obviously I can't live without using a PCI-E graphics card, so I next focused on the memory. I put back in the PCI-E card and swapped out the DDR2-1066 G.skill ram for some slower DDR2-800 Corsair ram (2x512mb). The problem went away. So why won't the G.skill work?

After seeing a post on another forum, I figured I'd try setting the voltage for the memory at 1.8v. It had been set at auto, and I assume was using 2.0 to 2.1 volts which is what the G.skill specifies. I bumped it down to 1.8v and the problem went away. I put it at 1.9v and it was still good. At 2.0v the problem came back.

Why the Gigabyte mobo cant's seem to supply the memory with 2v or higher without exhibiting the reboot loop problem I have no idea. But at least for now, there is a work around by setting your DDR voltage to 1.8v.

Auto would have most likely been using 1.8V and that could be the issue, please set your memory voltage yourself to 2.0-2.1V

As for your memory, that would be the issue not the board. If the ram fails to work at spec voltage then it may be faulty. Not always do you need the full amount specified, but if you do and it wont run stable otherwise then you need to RMA the memory.

If your memory is stable at 1.8-1.9 and passes all your tests then that is fine, and up to you if you want to RMA it or not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information