Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gigabyte motherboard - GA-EP45-DS3 reboot loop

Default Re: Gigabyte motherboard - GA-EP45-DS3 reboot loop

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Auto would have most likely been using 1.8V and that could be the issue, please set your memory voltage yourself to 2.0-2.1V

As for your memory, that would be the issue not the board. If the ram fails to work at spec voltage then it may be faulty. Not always do you need the full amount specified, but if you do and it wont run stable otherwise then you need to RMA the memory.

If your memory is stable at 1.8-1.9 and passes all your tests then that is fine, and up to you if you want to RMA it or not.
    Nah, I checked. When set to AUTO the RAM runs at it's specified voltage of 2.1v. However, upon a hard shutdown and then reboot, the board goes into the reboot loop. When only supplying the RAM with 1.8 or 1.9v it boots fine even after hard shutdowns.

Being that the reboot loop problem is so widespread with the Gigabyte motherboards, I don't think it's a problem with the RAM. My guess is that the motherboard does funky things when supplying 2.0 or higher volts to some or even many types of higher voltage spec RAM. But that's just a guess.

All I know is that the system works like a champ now, and all I had to do was force the DDR to only get 1.8v. Yeah the RAM may run a little slower, but at least it works.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I suspect it is just a slight incompatibility with the ram, and not that the board does not like ram voltage about 2.0V. Although you could be right, very well could be something faulty in your board, but I don't suspect that or it would be unstable otherwise as well.

Glad to see you are stable and happy though! If you ever have the chance to borrow some other memory for testing I would do that, or pickup a different set sometime since DDr2 is so cheap these days

I tried using some Corsair DDR2-1066 and that had the same issue. My belief is that you are right and that it is a RAM incompatiblity issue. But I believe that this model and perhaps more of Gigabyte boards are finicky when it comes to DDR2-1066. My guess is that the board will pretty much run any RAM modules fine at the original standard voltage of DDR2 memory, 1.8v and would be able to run most at 1.9. That should include almost all DDR2-800, since they are mostly 1.9v and lower. Since most DDR2-1066 ram is just overvolted DDR2-800 modules, you start seeing incompatibility issues with the mobo trying to supply this higher than standard voltage to the modules (sort of like when you try to overclock other components). Perhaps some DDR2-1066 modules will be compatible at 2.0v+, but my guess is for real compatiblity you either have to find 1066 RAM that runs at 1.9v or less, use 800 RAM that runs 1.9v or less, or under-volt your high-voltage 1066 RAM to bring it back within the original max specification of DDR2 ram.
    Last edited by acidjive; 09-17-2009 at 09:34 PM.

Angry Re: Gigabyte motherboard - GA-EP45-DS3 reboot loop

Hello there,

I'm new to this forum, and I'm facing the same problem described in this thread : my computer based on an EP45-DS3 mobo is doing the "famous" reboot loop... and it's a very anonying problem.

This is my current configuration:
    • GA-EP45-DS3 with the lastest BIOS in date (F9, F10 is beta)
    • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    • Corsair XMS2 2x 2GB, CL5 ( 5-5-5-18 ), 1.8V (TWIN2X4096-6400C5C)

The memory is actually an upgrade, before now I was using a Corsair XMS2 2x 1GB kit, C4 (4-4-4-12), 2.10V (CM2X1024-6400C4), for several years (since 2008) without any problems.

Recently I switched to this new 2x 2GB kit described there.
    I installed it, then I cleared the CMOS with the jumper on the mobo and selected the "Load Fail Safe" parameters in the BIOS.
    Everything seems to be OK in the BIOS : DRAM modules are recognized well, the informations about voltage, CAS and speed are corrects.

But now, the computer is very unstable : it's doing the reboot loop randomly, sometimes it'll starts and I'll able to use Windows for hours, sometimes not.

I can temporary fix the problem by removing the new RAM from the DIMM sockets and putting them in another sockets in a random way, and again, sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't.
    So I ran a Memtest86+ memory test with the two memory modules for about 10 hours (when the computer is fine to boot...), it did 7 pass without find any RAM errors, so I'm pretty sure the RAM are corrects.

And when I put back the old RAM (2x 1GB kit), after a clear CMOS and BIOS reconfiguration, the computer is working great...

I'm stuck, what can I do ?
    Many thanks for your replies and suggestions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information