Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Memory stick won't POST: tweak or return?

Default Memory stick won't POST: tweak or return?

I have assembled a new computer from all new parts. The first time I powered up the system, it failed to POST. Following the advice repeated on this forum, I removed everything but the motherboard, CPU, 1 stick of ram and the video card. It turns out that one stick of RAM works just fine. Using just that stick, the system will POST, install windows and run overnight stress tests without any errors. However, using the other stick, the system will not POST (no error beeps, no successful beep) and will never show any BIOS screen.

barebones system specs:
    GA-EP35-DS3L
    Core 2 Duo E7200
    2x2gb G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-4GBNT
    Palit Radeon 2600 pro DDR3

All BIOS settings are still at their default except for:
    1. USB Keyboard support set to [Enabled]
    2. USB Mouse support set to [Enabled]
    3. Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN set to [Delay 4 sec.]
    4. Halt On set to [All, But Disk/Key]

The memory is rated for DDR2-800 at 1.8v with 5-5-5-15 timings by default. The MB Intelligent Tweaker window shows the correct 800 Mhz Memory Frequency and 5-5-5-15 timings. The PC Health Status window shows the DDR18V is at 1.90xV even though the MB Intelligent Tweaker windows DDR2 OverVoltage Control is [Normal]. The (G)MCH OverVoltage is also set to [Normal].

I was wondering if it was possible to tweak the voltage and timing settings in order to get the non-POSTable memory stick to POST and if so, what voltage and timing settings should I change? Even if possible, is it recommended?

2. Default Re: Memory stick won't POST: tweak or return?

Is that non-POST-able stick the only one in the system when you try to reboot??

Or is it not POSTing when you have both sticks in??

If you can boot to BIOS with the POSTable stick then increase the MCH voltage +.1~.2v. Try to boot with the just the "bad" stick intalled. If that doesn't work then it's a good indicator that the stick is DOA for an RMA.

If the spec voltage for those sticks is 1.8v then that is what it should be at.
    GA P35 DQ6 rev. 1.0, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2 Ascents, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2's DDR2-1066 PC2-8500, Intel Core 2 DUO E8600, 3.33Ghz with Gigabyte CPU Cooler, PNY GeForce 8800 GTS, Antec 900 Gaming Case and Antec True Power Trio 650w PSU, Hauppauge HVR 1600 TV Tuner, old Sony CD/RW that still kicks butt, Sony external DVD, Smart Card Reader, 4 Western Digital Caviar HDD's: 80Gb, 120Gb(usb,external, swap), 160Gb, 250Gb and 320Gb.

Running it all with Windows XP Pro SP3, Perry Mason and Della Street. Paul Drake's out on assignment. He's helping me locate 64-bit drivers for XP Pro x64 Edition that I'm working with now.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Memory stick won't POST: tweak or return?

Ya, sounds to me like one works, one does not. DOA Ram for sure

When you get a RMA, if you can get a better model, ones ending in K and Q are the better ones. But even if you cannot and have to get the same, it does sound to me from your testing that one is dead and you will have to return the set for a new set.

No amount of tweaking will make a DOA stick work, nor should you want to use it anyway

Thread Information