Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA-EX38-DS4 going to 4x1, quick question

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EX38-DS4 going to 4x1, quick question

Ahh sorry to confuse you. And I would personally test leaving that on 100 as it may be better then 102.

No, I meant PCI-E OverVoltage Control

PSU is not the issue u r right(though 4 rails-60 amp :S),i really suggest getting ALL back to default, check if there are any problems and then loading the last bios(F11-SAVE F12-LOAD).

Whew that was rough!! When i got home and booted up, she started throwing BSODs all over the place! So i thought again that it was memory. But I finally was able to get into safe mode, pull the video card drivers, and that other video card. But the she started throwing BSODs like crazy again. All different types each time. I thought for sure it was a memory issue because when I pulled the two new sticks, she booted fine. Put em back in... nothing. But then pass memtest? I was pulling my hair out. Then I just swapped the matched pair slots. She booted up... chkdsk ran automatically... fixed A LOT of stuff (no bad sectors though) and now she is running stable again! That damned card and drivers really rocked my system. LOL DO NOT TRY CROSSFIRE LOL. So, I RMAed that card, put my other 3870 on ebay, and will have an HD4870 here by tomorrow afternoon. No more crossfire BS for me. There are obviously driver issues between crossfire and vista because on the crossfire forums, issues like I had are rampant.

ANYWAY...

Right now I am running 4gbs of corsair dominator 1066 memory. I want to go up to 8gb and was looking at mushkin, since it appears that is the "recommended" memory around here.

I just want to confirm that mushkin is the memory of choice for gigabyte boards? These dominators are nice, once you get them running, but they are a real pain in the butt sometimes. I am tired of dealing with them. Newegg has some nice black 2x2 sets I am looking at. But I have read that the heat spreaders might cause fittment issues. Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot for everyone's time and input.

Justin

PS I forgot to mention, before doing the DIMM swap mentioned above, I did clear the CMOS and re-enter all the settings.

PSS In your standard template, you say to disable multi-threading. I do not believe this is correct. I have always had it on, but turned it off just to check it out. All of my indicating tools defenitely stopped showing all 4 cores. The BIOS itself even refers to "cores."

WOW, glad you got it going. Sounds like it was rough!

What brand is your 3870 I mean is it ATI or just ATI based, and how much do you have it on ebay for? (W/ Buy it now?) Just wondering as I am on the hunt for a card.

With Mushkins, yeah if you use 4 sticks you may have issues. With 2 no way. Now with 4 sticks of the older heatsinks (NON eVCI) 4 sticks fit no problems, I have not tested 4 sticks of the new heatsink type (eVCI). So if you want to be sure I can ask Greg, or you can at Mushkin forums. He will know for sure and will reply fast. But like I said if you get 4 sticks with the older heatsinks (Frostbyte) they will for sure fit.

What standard Template? If you mean the Overclock guide I did not write that, noted at the top and bottom. But, as you noted, yout BIOS says cores, there is a setting in some BIOS's for Multi-Core and Multi-Thread (Old HT CPU's). Either CPU used, I would leave enabled. Like I said I did not write that, and have not read it for a year or so, do you think I need to remove that entry? If that is indeed where you say you found this "Template"

Hey, be sure when you clear CMOS you always load optimized defaults, set your ram voltage ONLY and save and apply and reboot Back to the BIOS to make your disk changes and any other needed changes. This is especially important when you flash, not so much when you just clear, but a good habit to get into

Oh sorry, I just paid attention to who posted it, not the actual author. :) Anyway in this thread, post three it refers to it as standard high performance settings. Hence, my referral to it as a template (and because I have seen it called a template in other threads). Anyway, post 4 talks about disabling multithreading. In this day of multi-core chips, I would probably revise that.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...g-guide-26112/

As far as my HD3870, it will actually be put up today when my HD4870 goes in (I am starting fresh when that goes in with new OS). I am going to put it at 50 dollars starting with 100 dollars BIN. Here is the exact card that I bought from newegg.

Newegg.com - DIAMOND Viper 3870PE4512SB Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Justin

Thanks, Yeah I will go edit that. Not sure why the OP suggested that anyway?

*Pre-Post Edit*

That is as I thought, To disable HT (Hyper-Threading in P4 CPU's)
    CPU Hyper-Threading________ [Disabled]
    C2D's do not Hyper-Thread, two cores are really there.
    Some BIOS's do have this option, and it should be disabled. Now CPU Multi-Threading should be enabled it is Cores on or off, I will add that so users are not confused if their BIOS does not offer the HT Setting.

Added/edited in, Let me know if how I edited it look a bit more clear now

Good luck on your ebay sales, that is for sure a fair BIN price! I'm a Sapphire fan though, so I wont be bidding

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information