Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-EX38-DS4 going to 4x1, quick question

Default GA-EX38-DS4 going to 4x1, quick question

Hello! Been some time since I have been here. I just had a quick question. I have read that to go to 4x1 ram on a GA-EX38-DS4, I will need to boost the voltage possibly as much as +.3. Well, right now, my voltage is already +.3 due to the corsair RAM I have in there needing 2.1 (per previous advice). So, my question is, when I put ram in dimms 2 and 4, do I need to boost that voltage more, or leave it at +.3? Thanks

Justin

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EX38-DS4 going to 4x1, quick question

Ahh, that voltage you leave at 2.1 or whatever is on your sticks sticker.

What you will need to add is some MCH/NB voltage, +.2-+.25-+.3 will usually do it. Start with less and raise if need be, or more and lower when you have time

Ah gotcha, I will let you know how it goes in a few days. Thanks

Justin

Hey ok. so the memory install seemed to have gone fine. I currently have the MCH at +.2. But I have another problem. At the same time I installed the extra memory, I installed an identical ATI HD3970 graphics card into a crossfire set up. Just some background... this is a fresh windows vista x64 SP1 install, latest GPU drivers (YESTERDAY), bios settings as per your standard template including PCIe at 102 and a mild overclock of a Q6600 with FSB at 333 multiplier 9 = 3.0ghz. Again, all the other MIT settings are per your standard template for an EX38-DS4 motherboard. Oh, the memory divider set at 3.20 I think which keeps the memory at its rated 1066 frequency (corsair dominators PC8500).

So, on three occasions, while playing crysis, my computer BSODed and rebooted. It went by so fast that I never actually caught the error. So, as with most BSODs I have experienced, I started with the memory. I ran 5 instances of memtest without error. So I think the memory is ok. Then I started looking online and there are A LOT of BSODs involving crossfire and/or vista. It seems to be leaning more towards an ATI/driver problem than anything. But, I wanted your opinion if you don't mind. I brought this here because I read on the crossfire forums that you need to add more MCH voltage because crossfire is hard on the NB. Do you concur with this statement and would you recommend trying to bump the NB a little more to say +.3? Thanks for your time. You do wonderful work here.

Justin

Just for additional info, I ran memtest over night with no errors.

I suspect a video card driver issue.

Justin

just for my curiosity, What PSU do u have?and did u ran HD-TUNE? if u set every thing back to default in MIT, not just the MAIN MIT section, every option back to default will u get BSOD?

this is the power supply I have. I don't that is the issue.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153038

I have not reset back to stock on everything. I was hoping there was a known solution first, but yes, this might turn into a chase down session by starting from stock. I might just yank those cards an put in one HD4870. :)

JUstin

I would test +3 on the NB/MCH and possibly +2 or more on the PCIE voltage as well

You are the first user I have personally heard mention of a Crossfire BSOD, Most crossfire issues I see are just initially getting it setup. So I would think it of course could be a driver issue, but also could be a voltage issue or your card/cards GPU or VGA Ram overheating

Thanks for the tips. I did think about maybe overheating, but both cards fans do ramp up. However, I disabled the auto-reboot so that I can see the BSOD if it happens again.

Do you meant to set pcie voltage to 104? It is currently at 102.

Justin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information