Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-P35-DS3L UAA high def audio installation

Default GA-P35-DS3L UAA high def audio installation

So, through browsing through hundreds, if not billions, of forums, I have discovered I'm not the only one with issues with audio drivers. Fortunately, it seems that, in most cases, the issues get resolved. However, each resolution is accomplished through uninstallation of previously installed drivers.

I was so mad that I re-formated my computer for the 16th time and want to know how to do this procedure right from the beginning.

I just finished installing Windows XP, sp2. I have not yet installed any drivers. As far as the audio drivers go, what should I install?
    I take it that I should NOT install the kb888111 patch, right?
    Where should I download the latest drivers? Gigabyte or Realtek?
    If from Gigabyte, which file(s) should I download/install? Microsoft UAA Bus Driver or Realtek Function Driver For Realtek Azalia Audio Chip (Including Micrsoft UAA Driver)?
    Should I get the HD Audio Driver Codec from Realtek? What about AC'97 Codec? (I don't even know what the heck a codec is).
    What about updating windows before installing audio files. As SP3 is now the latest and greatest, will these files work with sp3? or should i install them before updating windows to sp3?

Thanks!!

2. Default Re: GA-P35-DS3L UAA high def audio installation

Here is the link for the Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip (Including Microsoft UAA Driver in English edition)::
    http://america.giga-byte.com/FileLis...tek_azalia.exe

Just make sure you have the Chipset drivers installed first (very important) before any other drivers, applications, etc... or ANY windows updates for that matter, if doing a fresh install of XP.

If you need any of the other drivers you can find them here:

GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Driver - GA-P35-DS3L (rev. 1.0)
    GA P35 DQ6 rev. 1.0, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2 Ascents, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2's DDR2-1066 PC2-8500, Intel Core 2 DUO E8600, 3.33Ghz with Gigabyte CPU Cooler, PNY GeForce 8800 GTS, Antec 900 Gaming Case and Antec True Power Trio 650w PSU, Hauppauge HVR 1600 TV Tuner, old Sony CD/RW that still kicks butt, Sony external DVD, Smart Card Reader, 4 Western Digital Caviar HDD's: 80Gb, 120Gb(usb,external, swap), 160Gb, 250Gb and 320Gb.

Running it all with Windows XP Pro SP3, Perry Mason and Della Street. Paul Drake's out on assignment. He's helping me locate 64-bit drivers for XP Pro x64 Edition that I'm working with now.

Default Re: GA-P35-DS3L UAA high def audio installation

Don't use the Gigabyte driver ... it includes the UAA, and you don't want that. Get the driver from RealTek. If you lose audio after installing SP3, uninstall the audio driver and reinstall the RealTek driver. Worked for me twice. hth

You want the HD Audio Codec, R2.06 from RealTek ...
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false
    Last edited by jfk&g; 10-12-2008 at 08:44 AM.
    Gigabyte P35-S3G . 50mm Fan on MCH +0.2v
    Intel E6500 (9 x 420) 3780mHz 1.33125v
    G.Skill 4x1GB
    PC2-6400-NQ
    840mHz +0.2v
    Gigabyte HD4850 . Acer X223W . Acer X193W+
    Rosewill
    RP500-2 . WD WD3200AAJS . Masscool 8WA741

4. Default Re: GA-P35-DS3L UAA high def audio installation

Don't use the Gigabyte driver ... it includes the UAA, and you don't want that.
    Yeah. I've read quite a few articles/post regarding the whole RealTek/Microsoft UAA issue and I never quite understood why so many people are having problems with it.....

What's wrong with the Giga-drivers? Furthermore, what's wrong with the Microsoft UAA?? Worked fine for me. Never had any problems installing it with either the download or the CD and/or DVD. Never had any problems with my Audio working in XP SP1, SP2 or SP3.

Ah well....
    GA P35 DQ6 rev. 1.0, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2 Ascents, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2's DDR2-1066 PC2-8500, Intel Core 2 DUO E8600, 3.33Ghz with Gigabyte CPU Cooler, PNY GeForce 8800 GTS, Antec 900 Gaming Case and Antec True Power Trio 650w PSU, Hauppauge HVR 1600 TV Tuner, old Sony CD/RW that still kicks butt, Sony external DVD, Smart Card Reader, 4 Western Digital Caviar HDD's: 80Gb, 120Gb(usb,external, swap), 160Gb, 250Gb and 320Gb.

Running it all with Windows XP Pro SP3, Perry Mason and Della Street. Paul Drake's out on assignment. He's helping me locate 64-bit drivers for XP Pro x64 Edition that I'm working with now.

5. Default Re: GA-P35-DS3L UAA high def audio installation

I don't know. It's kinda dumbfounding when I read about the plethora of problems people are having with their systems, software wise.

There is one key element that does keep popping up, though, that sort of sheds some light on the mystery(for me).

Formatting: just formatting a drive each and every time to do a fresh install of an OS, to me, is not a good thing. When a drive gets formatted, all that is really happening (in the simplest terms) is that the filing system and the master boot records get reconfigured and the old data is tucked away some place in a highly compressed and hidden directory. After a handfull of times just formatting, these "hidden" directories build up and can clutter up drives.

It has always been a personal practice of mine to "start from scratch" whereas I erase the drive completely(a.k.a. write zeros to the entire drive) which basically returns the drive to a "new" state (raw). Then I format, shut the system down, turn the PSU off, wait a minute or 2 to let the memory drain, and then install the OS.

I use Western Digital HDD's almost exclusively when I build systems. I built a few with Seagate and Fujistu. All 3 of those manufacturers have DOS based software that can zero their respective drives. Both Western Digital and Seagate also have DOS based formatting software that is far superior than the formatting function that comes along with the installation of any Windows and/or Vista installation package. I have had to use fdisk on the Fujistu drives because I searched till I was blue in the face for formatting software for their drives.

I reckon I just prefer to install and/or reinstall an OS on a clean, then formatted drive. I often wondered, if people did the same thing I do, would they still have as many problems. Yeah, it may take awhile to do all that I prescribe, but that along with a good DOS based "cloning" application like Norton Ghost (2003 and prior is the best), Nero Image, etc... will save TONS of time and aggravation in the long run.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Thread Information