Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-DS5+Q9550+CorsairDominator 2x2Gb

Default Re: GA-EP45-DS5+Q9550+CorsairDominator 2x2Gb

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///D:%5Cuserdata%5CFITZHE%7E1%5Ctemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01% 5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Hey there, sorry been a little pre-occupied. My PQI image software no longer works on the new rig… something about drivers… hence I have been a little slow in testing block sizes.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I have only tested 64K since we last spoke… the results where better, I am getting round 160Mbs now, compared to the 145Mbs at the 128K stripe.
    I am using software RAID, I could not get the on-board Raid working, I have BIOS update 12 - GA-EP45-DS5.
    Dang…

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

PQI Image software? Gotta link and I will check it out for ya.

Ya, I like 64 better as well, I may try 32 next round

Hmm, what do you mean you could not get the onboard to work? What did you have set in the BIOS and where did you connect your disks? You did build a array in the RAID BIOS right, or could you get that far? If not then you may have just had the wrong settings per the controller you connected the disks to

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///D:%5Cuserdata%5CFITZHE%7E1%5Ctemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01% 5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="stockticker"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> <o:p> </o:p>
    Well, looking at your speeds I will definitely rebuild the thing if I can find out how to use the onboard RAID.
    Ok this is how I started; I started with 2 x 160GB drives. At first I tried, placing these two hard drives in the Purple ports, I enable RAID in the BIOS, during the boot process it says hit “Cntrl-G” or is it J… I did this; it takes me into the onboard RAID screen.
    This is where the problem started.. it picked up the two disks as one… like a jbod or something? In other words I did not have two devices to work with.. So if I wanted to create a mirror for example I could not, because it just saw one big slice of disk. I could not delete it or modify it.
    So after googling a bit, I read that software raid is just as fast… at the same time I purchased the 80G x 4 drives. So I plugged 4 x 80GB disks into the yellow SATA ports on the Motherboard. I have one 160GB disk in the same yellow ports for my backup.
    In the BIOS I enable software RAID, made a 64K striped RAID0 with the four 80G drives, then installed windows on the RAID device. i.e. On windows boot, I hit F6, and load the drives for <st1:stockticker>ICH</st1:stockticker> or something… I can’t remember the version of RAID software, but I got it off the motherboard <st1:stockticker>DVD</st1:stockticker> supplied (copied to floppy).
    That is the latest 160Mbs I posted.
    I never tired the purple ports with 4 drives… only two as mentioned. I googled like mad and found posts that said in BIOS version 12, you can only use the purple SATA ports for the onboard supplied “Backup thingo”…again I can remember the name, I’m at work.
    Give me a quick brief if you don’t mind, how you would setup 4 drives using the onboard RAID0. Do you just accept the JBOD?
    Thanks in advance.

I would use the yellow ports for your RAID, those are the top settings in the integrated Peripherals page. And then of course use the RAID ICH10R driver at F6

JBOD should not have been shown by default? On either? You would need to select that and only the Intel one would do it.

For your 4x80 drives plug them in the yellow ports 0-3 and then set the top settings to RAID and native disabled for now. Then reboot and hit Control + I to go into the Intel RAID BIOS and from there you should see 4 separate disks. Select them all and create your array. Then save and reboot to the BIOS and go into Advanced BIOS settings page, go into Hard Disk Boot Priority and select your RAID Array and move it to the top.

Then install XP and load the Intel RAID Driver via F6

If you get lost, please do check out your manual. It is all explained with images in the back of the manual. If you dont have it, grab one here >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Manual - GA-EP45-DS5 (rev. 1.0)

You can disable the Purple ports for now as well if you like and do not use any IDE Devices, if you do leave it enabled but in IDE mode. Just trying to get ya setup easier with less things until you get your RAID Setup how you want it

Ok, well that sounds pretty much what I did.
    Gee ok… I thought hardware raid on the mother board meant you did not need any drivers. In other words the device gets presented to the OS at the hardware layer and therefore no drivers for windows would be necessary.
    I wonder why I am slower… Yes, I have IDE enabled because I have an old 16X DVD from my dell and Floppy… don’t both of these run off IDE. But this should not interfere with my SATA ports anyway. Let me know if any IDE settings can slow things up, please.
    All I can think is, it’s your 32mb cache… the other option I could try is stripe two 80GB disks and see what speeds I get. One would clearly think 4 disks are better than two though.

Cheers

Oh right... another quick one... I was thinking of upgrading my 8600GT Nvidia. I don't want to spend more than $200 AU though. Since my budget is so small, CrossFire would be a waste right... I mean, apps have to be written to take advantage of it.. Most games I see still don't and if they do, most of them are SLI. Anyway I have a big power supply 1000W. Is there any benefit of going with ATI over Nvidia with a GA motherboard?

I have been looking at the:
    Sapphire HD4670 1G DDR3 PCIE2.0 $171
    Sapphire HD4670 512M GDDR3 PCIE 2*D TVO HDMI $137
    Zotac GeForce 9600GT 512M DDR3 Dual DVI HDMI $159
    Asus EN9800 512M DDR3 PCIE2.0 2xDVI HDTV HDCP HDMI

If you know any of these to be great.. or better, let me know, please... I basically choose my last card on price.

Na, all hardware RAID You would load a driver for the system. ICH10R is not really hardware RAID Anyway but even with a card you would be loading a driver

Na, I have IDE enabled as well

I have single platter 7200RPM 16MB cache disks...... I say that because you said 32MB cache comment and that is for sure not what I have.

These are the disks I use >>>
    Seagate Technology - Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 250-GB Hard Drive
    Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb&#47;s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

But I think maybe your 80GB disks have only a 2 or 8MB cache right? And are they even 7200 RPM's? If not that may be a huge part of the speed issue no matter how many you have

Hmm, well yes. ATI is better because you can use Two cards, Nvidia you cannot.

I personally use Sapphire myself and have for years. WOW You guys are getting robbed for those cards. The 4670 series over here is $80-99 >>
    Newegg.com - Radeon HD 4670, Radeon HD 4000 series, PCI Express 2.0 x16, Desktop Graphics / Video Cards, Sapphire Technology Limited, Computer Hardwa...

Do you ebay or can you? There is plenty of sellers who ship worldwide and even with sipping cost you may still save alot buy buying on ebay?

How much are the 3870 and 3850 going for where you live? They are about 80-100 here but maybe less where you live. Maybe one 3870 DDR4 would be good or....

What you could do is get two 3650's maybe for the price of one 4670 there? Just some thoughts, that seems like a lot for the cheaper card (4670) over there.

I dont have a clue about what one nvidia card would be best for you if you wanted to go that route as I have not bought one in years

Same speed… 7200RPM.. the specs look identical, except for the size. Link follows:
    Seagate Technology - Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 80-GB Hard Drive<o:p></o:p>
    Friday, December 5, 2008, 1 US Dollar = 1.54794 Australian Dollar . So I guess it’s not that far off. But yes, I’m from <st1:country-region w:st="on">South Africa</st1:country-region> and I thought <st1:country-region w:st="on">Australia</st1:country-region> being close to <st1:place w:st="on">Asia</st1:place> would get cheap electronics, not the case though.<o:p></o:p>
    3870 is round $400… a bit much<o:p></o:p>
    I have been googling a bit and found some good reviews on this card… I could get a second one at a later stage I guess / crossfire. MSI ATI R4670 512M DDR3 Dual DVI Dual Link DVI<o:p></o:p>
    Online Computer Store - Umart Online® Your one stop Computer Shop for computer parts,notebook and new system<o:p></o:p>
    Hypothetically, if I did go for 2 x 3870, how do you tell if your PSU will support them.. I know I have the power, but are the power connectors standard?<o:p></o:p>
    I have never really used Ebay, before. <o:p></o:p>

That drive is only 8MB cache may be why.

Ya the Power connectors need to be used for sure. You just look up the specs for the cards and see is all. Most will do crossfire with a 550W= PSU with at least 35-45A on the 12V rail

Did you look at 2x 3650's where you shop? That could be better then 4670

Ebay is nice, do you have paypal?

I got faster speeds with 32K block size... round 175Mbs...

LSDMEASAP... I have this quite persistent problem now. My PC does not power off. I shutdown windows, the shutdown seems to go right to the end, but it just hangs there... I will go into the task list and find out process are still running, when I get home.

The problem may be software related, but can this be caused by a voltage issue... from Over clocking ? If so, what?

Cheers.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread Information