Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: P35 MCH Thermal Specifications

Default P35 MCH Thermal Specifications

after trawling the net trying to find accurate data as to a safe mch running temp i stumbled upon a thread over at hardware canuks which links to an intel document which outlines the spec of the mch + also design guidelines for fabricating a heatsink

ftp://download.intel.com/design/chip...nex/316968.htm

after reading section 2.3.3 and the page after i'm a bit confused, firstly

the actual max temp rating - is it 106c or 97c ?!

second, is that a max temp limit to use as a day to day figure, or as a destructive testing figure used only to test the short term longevity of the product?!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: P35 MCH Thermal Specifications

Not sure which temp that , but they are both close anyway. I kinda think it means 106C is the TC-MAX for the chip itself, and the 97C is the point at which TControl (Thermal Sensor for QST) Will stop functioning properly.

I would take that temp, as well as all other Intel Thermal Specs, to mean the specific point where physical Damage can and may occur to the product.

Here is a quote from the MAIN P35 chipset PDF about min and max temps I found for you >>>

Absolute Minimum and Maximum Ratings
    The following table specifies the Intel 82Q35, 82Q33, 82G33 GMCH and 82P35 MCH
    absolute maximum and minimum ratings. Within functional operation limits,
    functionality and long-term reliability can be expected.
    At conditions outside functional operation condition limits, but within absolute
    maximum and minimum ratings, neither functionality nor long-term reliability can be
    expected. If a device is returned to conditions within functional operation limits after
    having been subjected to conditions outside these limits, but within the absolute
    maximum and minimum ratings, the device may be functional, but with its lifetime
    degraded depending on exposure to conditions exceeding the functional operation
    condition limits.
    At conditions exceeding absolute maximum and minimum ratings, neither functionality
    nor long-term reliability can be expected. Moreover, if a device is subjected to these
    conditions for any length of time its reliability will be severely degraded or not
    function when returned to conditions within the functional operating condition limits.
    >>>

http://download.intel.com/design/chi...s/31696602.pdf

indeed, to be honest it matters little between 97 + 106c.

I quote a section of your quote

If a device is returned to conditions within functional operation limits after having been subjected to conditions outside these limits, but within the absolute maximum and minimum ratings, the device may be functional, but with its lifetime degraded depending on exposure to conditions exceeding the functional operation condition limits.
    well that makes perfect sense, but is there any documentation which lists functional operation condition limits? because without that, and just absolute max + min temps that still leaves you in the dark!

or would this all begin to open up another can of worms much like the digital thermal sensor issue on core 2 cpus with everyone trying to find a valid Tjmax?!

i guess the only way for me to even get an idea of the temps running at a ratio of fsb increase... would be to reattach the reference mch heatsink design and return all settings to stock. then measure the temperatures at idle + load and their spread at that specific fsb. then increase the fsb say by 100mhz and re record idle and load temps, then repeat the tests with my aftermarket active mch cooler.
    that way relative efficiency/heat dissipation between the two designs could be measured and also scalablity as the fsb rises, and heat output as an exponent of voltage

i think that'd kinda work, or atleast give me an idea, actually doing it is another thing however!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

The document above I believe lists acceptable operational specifications. But to be honest your board would never reach even 80C unless you had the bare chip running at a high FSB

Thread Information