Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suddenly no POST

Default Suddenly no POST

I have a GA-P35-DS3L (rev. 2.0) matched with an E8400 CPU. I leave my computer on all the time. Today we were having work done on the house so I turned off the computer for the first time in months. When I came home this afternoon and turned the machine on it wouldnít boot. The power supply comes on, then one long beep, and then nothing. I noticed that while everything seems to be getting power, the CPU doesnít start spinning immediately- in fact it starts spinning right after the beep. I have everything disconnected except one stick of RAM (I had 4), CPU and vid card. I have swapped out a different vid card and PSU, so it seems it must be the motherboard or the CPU. Any thoughts??

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Suddenly no POST

Are you SURE all connections are tight? Was any of this work electrical in nature?

Do you think the PC was bumped or moved at all during this work? If so you may want to remove the board from the case and off the tray onto a box or wooden table as a slight bump or something may have made a short that previously was not there but almost shorting out. Often times if things get moved a short can be fully made that previously was not fully shorting. Do you get what I mean? Like almost shorting, but not fully until bumped I guess is what I mean. Sometimes wires behind the board can do this if you do wire things behind the board.

Have you tried to clear the CMOS yet? If not try that first, how to best do this is here in post 2 >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 10-15-2008 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Finished thought, thanks

Thanks LSD. No, the work wasnít electrical. It may have been bumped. I checked and rechecked the connections because thatís what I thought the problem was at first. By midnight Iíd torn everything out except the board and the CPU and one stick of RAM. I did try to clear the CMOS, but I only left the jumper cap on for a few seconds as per the manual. Iíll try it for twenty minutes and see. Iíll take it out of the case and try it (it looks like you didnít finish your thought there).
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    If it still doesnít work would you suspect the board or the CPU?

My board did this (predominantly) when I first set it up. I put it down to the fact that my CPU (E8200) wasn't officially supported by the boards "Shipped" Bios.

I had been told by GB UK that the board should boot, although the type of CPU would not be recognised until I updated the bios.
    My initial concerns were that i would have to buy a cheap Celeron CPU that was supported by the early bios revision, just so that i could update the bios - luckily I didn't have to resort to this.

I took advantage of updating the bios on one of the few occassions that it did boot correctly...

So i'm looking at your scenario in the way that seeing that you leave your PC on, you might not have been aware of any possible cold booting problems.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 10-15-2008 at 10:23 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

I was worried about that when I bought it, too. It came with F6 (I think) and it booted and seemed to run just fine, but I put F8a on there anyway shortly after I got it. It's been running great since last February, other then some issues with the 4 sticks of Crucial RAM I had in there. They were running just fine for a few months at 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2v. About a month or so ago I started getting BSODs, ran memtest and got tons of errors. I lowered the voltage to 1.8 and the timings defaulted to 5-5-5-18, and have had no issues since then and memtest reported no errors.

I would suspect the board, CPU's do not often if ever go bad, and when they do it is only from High heat or a very high voltage spike or static discharge.

If you do have another PC I would test all components it it, including the PSU and CPU. I would do this myself before I RMA'd a board to be sure it was not another component causing it to not boot. Bad CD or Hard drives, as well as any other component can cause this so do not overlook testing something because you think it may not be the cause

The only components I don't have on hand to swap out are the CPU and the board, hence my quandary. I will try clearing the CMOS again as you suggested, and try booting outside the case when I get home today. If that doesn't work I guess I'll just RMA the board and hope for the best. Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by DeFraginator View Post
    I was worried about that when I bought it, too. It came with F6 (I think) and it booted and seemed to run just fine, but I put F8a on there anyway shortly after I got it. It's been running great since last February, other then some issues with the 4 sticks of Crucial RAM I had in there. They were running just fine for a few months at 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2v. About a month or so ago I started getting BSODs, ran memtest and got tons of errors. I lowered the voltage to 1.8 and the timings defaulted to 5-5-5-18, and have had no issues since then and memtest reported no errors.
    Seems you were pushing the Ram @ 2.2volts. I know you have said you have tried just one stick of Ram now, but have you rotated testing through the 4 you had, albeit it one at a time?

Is it also possible for you to obtain/try another memory module, ie OTHER than the current 4 sticks of Crucial RAM you already have?

Also (don't know if this has been mentioned), but seeing you think the PC may have been knocked etc and you have it fairly stripped down at present (or in the midst of it), try removing and then re-seating the CPU.

I'm assuming now that you can't access the bios either at present?
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Itís that dang ballistix which needs 2.2 to operate at 4-4-4-12. I have tried each of the 4 sticks individually, and Iíve entertained the thought of buying like a cheap stick of RAM to see if perhaps all four sticks are shot. One issue I have is Iím way out in the boonies of Northern NY. We have Radio Shack, and the closest Best Buy is over an hour away, so I canít just pop into a Fryís and buy components. I do suppose Iíll try reseating the CPU before I RMA the board though.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    No, doesnít even get close to getting into the BIOS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information