Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Standby Hell - Version Two

Default Re: Standby Hell - Version Two

Yes, that was my next strategy...
    Then I found this: The computer may unexpectedly resume from standby or hibernation and then automatically return to standby or hibernation after two minutes
    Just the right sequence of words in a new Google search and this comes up.
    Seems like my symptoms, so I tried the workaround. I don't know what might be sending out "magic packets" every 2 hours...my router? My ISP?
    In any case, I'm going to try it.
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
    Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Hmm, you could disable your connection when you plan to leave your system, that should help. If you can, disconnect your actual LAN Cable, and then put the system to sleep. If it does not wake up on it's own then you know it is network related

Have you ran this command to see if it give you any insight, it may or may not, but it should tell you wake history and source >>>

Windows key + R, then CMD >>>
    Code:
    powercfg -lastwake
    Also run this one to see what "Should" be able to wake you system, not always the case though >>>
    Code:
    powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
    You may also want to check your Network adapters properties, power tab in device manger and set them to not be able to wake the system (Disable Wake on LAN)

Maybe some further help here >>>
    The Green Button - Vista keeps waking up. Why?

I do see many places to also disable the USB Root Hub in device manger from being able to Wake on LAN, so be sure to disable it as well.

Ohh, found you someone else mentioning this "Magic Packet" and they said it fixed it for them >>>
    My PCs wake up by themselves from standby or hibernation! - Page 2 - Vista Help

And I found a VERY Nice write up on Vista Sleep options, Hopefully this will all help you get to the root of the issue. I think the first thing I mentioned should let you know though if it is LAN related or not >>>
    Power Options and Sleep Mode Problems - Vista Forums

Good work, L. I'll try it with the workaround from MS tonight and see if it has woken up during the night. Will report tomorrow.
    -MXC
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition

Well...no luck. The system still came on after I used MS's workaround on the network adapter wake settings. I used the "powercfg -lastwake" command, which gives me:
    Wake History Count - 1
    Wake History [0]
    Wake Source Count - 0
    Type: Fixed Feature
    Timer Expired (RTC)

Fixed feature, I assume, is ACPI Fixed Feature. I'll have to look into this. RTC is real time clock. So not sure what this is telling me. In the System event log, every auto wake event logged by the power-troubleshooter says "Wake Source: RTC".

I read through all those sites you listed, but I'm pretty certain I've tried everything they suggest. Last night, I unplugged the LAN cable, and it still comes on every 2 hours. It must be some software issue. But I have gone through every single item in the task scheduler and looked at the settings and history for each listing. None of them are allowed to wake the computer, and none of the histories match my wake up times.
    There is one piece of software that I installed relatively recently that makes me suspicious...it's MS's Mobile Device Center and Sync Center (used to be known as ActiveSync). It's really handy for syncing Outlook to my smartphone, but this s/w has historically been one of the worst I've ever used. The same install gave me some problems on my HP notebook, and HP had me update the BIOS and disable the ACPI Fixed Feature, if I recall correctly. Maybe there is a connection?

Here is the event log: 10:40PM on 10/16 is when I put the computer to sleep manually and and 7:53AM on 10/17 is when I woke it up via the keyboard. All the events in between are auto-wake.

Standby Hell - Version Two-events-jpg

I think wake Source RTC may be your network trying to get a New IP or sync with Microsoft's clock. Did you go thru Device manager and check each USB and network items power tab and disable Wake on LAN for each?

Ohhh, sorry I see you have.

Try to disable this clock sync and see if it fixes it. Control Panel, Date and Time, Internet Time tab >>>

Hmm, that Active Sync has me thinking as well, maybe it scans for something to sync to every 2 hours? Can you either disable it's service from startup Automatic in Services, or uninstall it to test this out? It is where I would be checking next

What does this command tell you as far as what should be able to wake the system>>>
    Code:
    powercfg –devicequery wake_armed

The "powercfg –devicequery wake_armed" returns nothing...just back to the prompt.
    I'll try turning off internet time sync, but I've always had that on all my computers for years and never seen this problem.
    I have set up a static IP on the router, so not sure why one machine would try to renew its IP address. Never happened before.
    Maybe I should install the new Realtek drivers from Giga? I didn't do that for the latest set of driver updates that came out about a month ago.
    WRT ActiveSync, what's weird is that I have set those services to manual and stopped it from autostarting, but the damn thing (Sync Center) comes back on every time I come back from standby. I've never seen a program re-instantiate itself after coming back from standby. Usually, when you kill it, it stays killed until restarted, or when the computer does a full boot. This thing has a mind of its own... However, it is useful, so I don't want to get rid of it. But for testing purposes, I'm going to uninstall and see what happens.
    What do you think about the ACPI Fixed Feature thing?

Hmm, well that sounds like you have everything set to disabled then to be able to wake the system. But it may only check for hardware

Here try using this (Or windows defender, tools, software explorer) to disable Sync from startup >>>
    http://www.mlin.net/files/StartupCPL.zip

Will be in control panel once installed, Startup

Not sure about that ACPI Fixed feature, what did you gather from it? I think I may have missed it or forgot in all my looking around

From what I have heard, my RTC and Fixed Feature info really doesn't narrow things down much, except to implicate some (piece of shyte) software that that has decided it wants to turn my machine on every two hours. (That engineer better hope I never find him...)
    I plan to just uninstall apps until I fix it.
    -MXC

Getting anywhere? I know, if it was me, I would setup a dual boot to check and see how a clean install works. Then if it is fine, I would delete the old setup and run the new clean install. Install programs one by one making a restore point before each new install and test between each. It may take you some time to do that, but you will find your culprit. I can say, sometimes uninstalling a program will not remove it all or properly and fully remove all the things it has set.

Even with a proper Uninstall program some things may be left behind (I use Your Uninstaller 2008), works far better then just using built in installers, removes junk left behind in the registry and windows/program folders after the normal uninstaller is done running

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information