Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Standby Hell - Version Two

Default Re: Standby Hell - Version Two

Yes, I just got the solution from someone that I PM'd on the Green Button. What a lifesaver. This morning was the first time in 2 weeks that I checked the logs and saw the computer stayed in standby all night. I was not looking forward to reinstalling Vista and all my apps just for this...what a huge pain. Anyway, the fix is essentially disallowing Vista to autowake via the RTC/Timer. Let me test it out and confirm everything, then I'll post the concluding post here for any poor soul who runs into the same problem.
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
    Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Nice to hear. Please post your test results along with the fix method once you are sure it works.

Ok, I have turned back on everything that was turned off in an attempt to circumvent this little problem. And I have tested again overnight with no uninvited wake-ups. Basically, what I did (on advice from a guy at The Green Button) was to disable the RTC wake ability in Vista. This, of course, will stop your machine from auto-waking for any reason - to record a show, defrag, whatever has been set to auto-wake. I personally have no use for auto-wake - when I put the machine to sleep, I want it to STAY THERE!
    So, here are the steps:

1. Open a CMD prompt
    2. powercfg -setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_sleep bd3b718a-0680-4d9d-8ab2-e1d2b4ac806d 0
    3. powercfg -setdcvalueindex scheme_current sub_sleep bd3b718a-0680-4d9d-8ab2-e1d2b4ac806d 0
    4. powercfg -setactive scheme_current

This changes and applies a new power scheme that stops the machine from being woken from sleep. In my case, I have a desktop system and probably didn't need to set the DC option, but I did both anyway. Thankfully, I was able to find the only person on the planet who appears to know how to do this...

The only remaining issue is that I still don't know what horrible piece of software thought it was a good idea to wake my machine every 2 hours...I would certainly like to know. But happy to have defeated it, even if it remains anonymous...
    Last edited by mxcrowe; 10-21-2008 at 01:56 AM.
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition

Thanks, So does that still allow you to wake when you want? I assume so, just thought I Better ask.

Hmm, well you could narrow it down and find the problem if you have time someday with the dual boot/clean install/test as you go method. But yeah, that would take sometime for sure

Yes, all other standby and wake features operate as normal.
    No, I don't intend to spend days hunting down the culprit.

ed1 is offline Member

mxcrowe and LSD, I have been using Standby (S3) state for a while now on my GA-EP45-DS3L system and have recently started to notice that the system is sometimes on and running when I come back to the system a few hours after leaving it in S3 state. (I haven't checked whether it comes on at regular intervals - just noticed that it was on and tonight the computer was on without any display showing on the monitor - just a black screen.)

Before I apply the CMD prompt fix noted by mxcrowe in his post above (steps 1 through 4), I was just wondering if once that fix is made, is it ever reversible? If so, how? (Just guessing that the same steps would be taken but the final digit would be a 1?)

And, could you explain what is the difference between the ac and dc settings in steps 2 and 3 - in other words, what are each of the settings actually doing?
    Last edited by ed1; 11-11-2008 at 08:13 PM.

Do you have cats/dogs?

Yes a 1 instead of a zero would set that back.

Did you run this command to see what exactly woke your system? >>>

Windows key + R, then CMD >>>
    Code:
    powercfg -lastwake
    As for the rest, you will have to wait until he replies. But do keep in mind, as you see in this whole thread there are MANY things that can be set to wake the system without you knowing or thinking of them

ed1 is offline Member

Well, I happened to be sitting in front of my (S3) sleeping computer (GA-EP45-DS3L) minding my own business when suddenly the computer spontaneously woke up, and a tray bar balloon message quickly popped up stating that Media Center (Vista 32-bit) was connecting to the internet to update the channel guide.

I touched nothing. About 2 minutes later, the computer went back to sleep.

Is there any way to have Media Center set to update channel guide listings, but only if the computer is already running - so it doesn't wake up just to do that? And, of course, to continue to be able to wake it up manually at any time with the keyboard or mouse as I now do.

Hmm, I would just set that to not update in the Media center preferences, and then just update yourself once a week or so

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information