Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EP45-DS3L bios question

Default EP45-DS3L bios question

I'm running Vista on a my new build, all new parts.

EP45-DS3L qflashed to newest bios version
    Intel E8500 @ 3.16
    SATA 1TB caviar hd
    Radeon 4850
    Antec 380w psu
    Corsair Value select Ram, 1 2g module, VS2GB667D2

I have had serious freezing issues from the start; it originally froze while I was in BIOS. Based on all the forum posts I've read, I tweaked BIOS settings to attempt to get it to run longer. When I turned MCH voltage down from 1.10 default to 1.05 it made my system stable enough to install Vista and steam. I was able to succesfully play Team Fortress 2 with no freezes. After the second day, however, the freezing started again. Now it happens when I'm playing games, though the system is stable for web browsing. I've tried various ram timings, but nothing has gotten the system stable for gaming. I've run memtest86+ for 5 or 6 passes, no errors so far.

What BIOS settings do you recommend for this setup? Do you think the cheap RAM is the source of the instability? Should I just return it and buy higher quality RAM?

Default Re: EP45-DS3L bios question

You could look at the Memory Guide on the first page of this forum for ideal settings and use that as a starting point.

However, I wouldn't be 100% happy with your Antec 380watt supply. There is high current demand at boot up and even once through that and playing a 3dgame the PSU imo would be on the brink of struggling.

Sapphire recommend at least a 450watt PSU(usually generic) for the 4850 and a decent CPU.
    SAPPHIRE HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E

It is possible with a minimal setup that you could get away with using such a PSU, however I don't think you can rule it out from causing some if not all your current problems. Ideally you could do with testing the PC with another Power Supply.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

i dont think it's a PSU problem, but that could be an option, though antec is not generic and sapphire meant 450w generic.
    can u write the exact model, or just ow much amps does it have on the 12vRAIL (its 380, should have 1 rail).
    did u get freezing bios after flashing bios or before as well?
    Using what method did u flash the bios.
    use this: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp to calculate the wattage, and for sure u would want at least 25% free for OC and stability, so PSU could be an option.
    as far for the ram, You would want to get a mushkin, u have only 1 stick right? weird there isnt much tweaking u need to do for 1 stick, try to get everything back to default in bios(every option press F7, it's not enough to press just in the main MIT section, you need to open every option u can open using "Enter" and F7 there) and see if it's stable.
    Last edited by Dweirdo; 10-16-2008 at 08:52 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I would have to agree with VorLonUK, that PSU may be good enough, but just barely. And that would be the first thing I would upgrade.

As for the OP's thoughts and comments, I would now try testing adding back some additional MCH voltage if this is 2x2. Not sure they way you wrote that. If it is just oen 2GB stick, then I would test the default MCH value again.

And really, gaming with only 2GB is likely also part of your problems. I do not game, but I know 2GB is not very good for gaming and could cause a freeze since the game would be trying to use all the available memory plus some the system is trying to use

I beg to differ. I game with 2GB ram and I game well. I could play COD4 online with close to max settings @ 1680x1050 and it does not stick. If it does stick, I know it's because of my processor which IMO is bottlenecking my system.

Hey, I can even alt tab while playing COD4. 2GB is enough. Sorry to disagree =(
    Nothing is impossible... Just mathematically improbable..

"The best defense against computer viruses might not even be antivirus software, but a crafty combination of education and common sense."

Intel Pentium e5200 @ 3.8HZ (380 X 10)
    Giga-byte GA-EP35-DS3L
    Mushkin 4GB DDR2 800 @ 760MHZ 4-4-3-10 @ +0.3v
    SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    Seagate 160GB @ 7200rpm
    SB Audigy2
    Corsair 520HX
    Super Antec Lanboy
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit RTM
    Acer AL2216Wbd 22"

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

So, what is your thoughts about our PSU Discussion then? I do agree with you, you are likely correct As I don't game at all

Looking at his video card alone, a 380W PSU is not good enough. My mothers dell 4700 has a better PSU than that.

Generic or not, it's not an excuse and I could care less about what Sapphire said. Your PSU sucks. That's it. Sorry to be mean about it but it's the truth.

There is no way that an antec 380W PSU can power a 4850, ITB and an Intel E8500 @ 3.16. We're not even talking about the rest of parts in your computer - Sound card, DVD drives etc. Yes. Those things need power too =O

Get a new PSU. Corsair has a nice 620Hx modual PSU which will do you well.

I'll make it even easier on you.
    Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

^_^
    Nothing is impossible... Just mathematically improbable..

"The best defense against computer viruses might not even be antivirus software, but a crafty combination of education and common sense."

Intel Pentium e5200 @ 3.8HZ (380 X 10)
    Giga-byte GA-EP35-DS3L
    Mushkin 4GB DDR2 800 @ 760MHZ 4-4-3-10 @ +0.3v
    SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    Seagate 160GB @ 7200rpm
    SB Audigy2
    Corsair 520HX
    Super Antec Lanboy
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit RTM
    Acer AL2216Wbd 22"

Thanks for the replies. In answer to some questions:

I've had freezing problems from the moment I assembled the board. It would freeze within 1-3 minutes of starting up, regardless of whether I attempted to install windows or simply entered BIOS. I used qflash and a thumbdrive to update to BIOS version F9 without problems. The freezing continued in a similar manner after the update. By lowering the MCH voltage, I was able to get the computer to run without freezing, except when the system is placed under load (gaming, multiple movies open, etc.). I have only 1 stick of 2g RAM at present. When I raise the MCH back to stock, the computer goes back to freezing after 1-3 minutes. I have reset all other BIOS settings to default without noticing any change.

According to BIOS, the 12v rail is providing 11.79v. Unfortunately, the only spare PSUs I have access to are older, and will not fit this mobo to test.

I have an Antec 380W PSU in my rig and it runs fine.

P35-DS3L rev.2
    Q6600@3.2 - Zalman 9700 LED CPU cooler
    DVD RW and 2 120mm case fans
    500Gig Seagate HD
    ASUS 9600GSO factory OCed video card core-600/shader-1700/mem-1800
    2(1x2)Gigs of Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1066 (that finally run stable thanks to Lsdmeasap's help)

People are using the same PSU to run two OCed 8800GTs. I don't play games on it but I run F@H CPU and GPU clients 24/7 on it and they're very demanding. I'm not sure how they stack up to games but I bet some games might be worse on the video card but definitly not the proc.

What speed/memory frequency & timings are you running the RAM at?

Quote Originally Posted by greyhame View Post
    Thanks for the replies. In answer to some questions:

I've had freezing problems from the moment I assembled the board. It would freeze within 1-3 minutes of starting up, regardless of whether I attempted to install windows or simply entered BIOS. I used qflash and a thumbdrive to update to BIOS version F9 without problems. The freezing continued in a similar manner after the update. By lowering the MCH voltage, I was able to get the computer to run without freezing, except when the system is placed under load (gaming, multiple movies open, etc.). I have only 1 stick of 2g RAM at present. When I raise the MCH back to stock, the computer goes back to freezing after 1-3 minutes. I have reset all other BIOS settings to default without noticing any change.

According to BIOS, the 12v rail is providing 11.79v. Unfortunately, the only spare PSUs I have access to are older, and will not fit this mobo to test.
    Unfortunately the way your system is (ie a PSU on the low capacity side for your setup) means all people can do is really speculate moreso on what your problem could be.

As i have already mentioned, startup current, 3dgaming & File manipulation (such as encoding, compressing) etc, put the highest current draw on your PSU and whereas you could possibly get away with a decent 380watt supply which has most of it's power distribution capacity on the 12volt rail/s with your setup - you are nevertheless making your fault finding very difficult as I believe it could be the problem.

I'm wondering if the PSU is "flapping" on startup as current demand can peak then. Things like Hard Drives which are fairly frugal these days (even the multi platter 1TB drives) still can take 4-5x the amount of normal read/write current on their 12 volt line during "Spin-Up"
    That Could for instance be enough for the PSU to fluctuate and cause a lockup/freeze to the system on boot up (or just after) and just the sheer demand in a gaming 3d enviroment could cause the same in windows.
    "The straw that broke the Camel's back" so to speak...

However, it is still a good idea to fault find in other areas first, if not to save money... So Reiterating as I've already mentioned in this thread, the best way would be to relax many of your bios settings, such as the memory timings etc and to read through the memory guide on the first page of the Gigabyte forum that Lsdme has written up.

You could also use the Bios Template (found on the Memory Page sticky) to enter your bios settings and post it back on this thread, so that others may give you suggestions on other things such a change in settings you could try.

Edit:-
    Bios Quick Checks.....
    1) Set Main Memory timings to 5-5-5-18
    2) Set "Performance Enhance" to Standard
    3) Test

Edit 2:-
    A large list of Graphics cards power Consumption...
    http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/foru...s=2&c=7&t=9354

According to the info, the 4850 is reasonably power hungry - compare :-)
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 10-17-2008 at 08:53 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Thread Information