Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-DS4 new build

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EP45-DS4 new build

I would use AC'97 and remove the 6 and 10 Pins from your case wire.

If I understand you right, yes you would choose AHCI in the BIOS and then #7 is to copy the intel AHCI Driver onto a floppy. Once loaded using F6 you will be asked to select the exact driver you want loaded, choose the one with AHCI and ICH10R in the name and then windows will install.

You do not have to use AHCI though, you would use the same driver though. Just set AHCI/RAID mode to disabled.

Ya, you can use that speaker, any speaker will do. And it should work either way plugged in. But I do believe that the white wire is the POS + one if you wanted to plug it in properly

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I would use AC'97 and remove the 6 and 10 Pins from your case wire.

OK

If I understand you right, yes you would choose AHCI in the BIOS and then #7 is to copy the intel AHCI Driver onto a floppy. Once loaded using F6 you will be asked to select the exact driver you want loaded, choose the one with AHCI and ICH10R in the name and then windows will install.

You do not have to use AHCI though, you would use the same driver though. Just set AHCI/RAID mode to disabled.

If not AHCI what could you select for but you say I should slect disabled!!

I am now a bit confused, so I go into Integ. Per.. and make sure SATA RAID/AHCI mode is disabled as default (then there is no changes to BIOS since I am not doing RAID, you said I had to configure BIOS at the start of this thread, so I am confused, except getting the driver and then installing it)

Next follow 5-1-2 making driver diskette, Now the only way I got this to work was, on my labtop I just opened as normal, went into bootdrv dir. and double clicked menu and then it loaded the files onto a:\ not USB.

Ya, you can use that speaker, any speaker will do. And it should work either way plugged in. But I do believe that the white wire is the POS + one if you wanted to plug it in properly
    ok thanks, I think that just about covers the full process, I would like to submit a procedure in full to this thread that you could go through and tell me if I what I expect to happen and what will happen may differ.

thanks
    krishan

If you do not select AHCI, you should select Enabled for the next one below "SATA Native Mode" Enabled. So yes, either way you would be setting something.

If you do not have a floppy you will have to buy/borrow one. You can download the driver directly from gigabyte but it will not do you any luck without a floppy anyway. In XP you MUSt use a Floppy to install the driver. USB will not work for XP. Floppy ONLY, or you can slipstream the driver (Which can be complicated)

Like I said, you may also Try installing it without the driver (Not if AHCI is chosen) and if XP Shows you a disk to format/install to then you are good to go. If not you will HAVE to get a floppy, they are only about $5-8 And can be a lifesaver if you have a BAD BIOS Flash. I would not ever run a system without one

[quote=Lsdmeasap;264985]If you do not select AHCI, you should select Enabled for the next one below "SATA Native Mode" Enabled. So yes, either way you would be setting something.

OK Thanks

I did it already from the CD, just that it never happened as the manual said, when I inserted a USB just to see and double clicked the menu.exe, it came with a error message but when I also added a floppy, it saved the fiels to floppy, the manual says that is another way but it goes to USB, it did'nt it still went to floppy. I will get a floppy drive. My win 98 boot disk works to get me to a a prompt and I can again bring up the list with "menu" but it fails to copy the files over to floppy, only method that works is the explore CD and doubl-click menu.exe

There is some arguement as to if AHCI is better than IDE I would select the one you think is best for a new builder, so lease tell me which one is better to select for less problems.

PS. On the website is also a another file "Intel ICH9R/ICH10R Driver (Preinstall driver, press F6 during Windows* " does this also need to be downloaded and done or is just having done the option 7 from the supplied CD will that already have both parts and therefore I do not need anything further

thanks
    krishan
    Last edited by krishcanag; 10-20-2008 at 05:23 PM.

The actual file you want is inside the bootdrv folder on the CD, you can copy it to your desktop and manually extract it. The file for Intel 32Bit drivers is located here >>>F:\BootDrv\MSM32.exe (MSM64.exe for 64bit). Copy to your desktop or a new emtpy folder and double click it, it will then extract the files. Or you can use winrar to extract to a folder (As shown below)

I do not like AHCI, and since you had to ask I would suggest you use normal SATA operation. IDE is just the name of normal SATA, it wont be as slow as IDE it's just called that if you were worried

That driver is the exact one you are trying to get off the CD, either the above method I just wrote to get you the driver or downloading it will be fine. They are both the same.

So you are not confused about it further, here is the exact files you should see from extracting the file off the CD, or downloading the correct one >>>

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> Thanks, yes my floppy has all the 7 files, I just got them by double-clicking MENU.EXE and it auto.. saved all files to floppy, NOT USB!!!</o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>Now finally I have come up with a procedure that will hoefully be something I can expect to see and know where I am and what I need to do, this may be common for most first time PC builders using gigabyte MB's.</o:p>
    <o:p>PROCEDURE</o:p>
    • Install CPU, CPU cooler, 2G RAM (slot 1 & 3), GPU card, connect PSU to required MB connectors and GPU all OUTSIDE CASE
    • <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Press</st1:City> <st1:State w:st="on">ON</st1:State></st1:place> button on MB, if posts great, press reset and go into BIOS and set DRAM Voltage to 2.1 for corsair. Now I am not sure about this as if the RAM voltage is an issue and it does not POST what are my options? I assume I could remove and replace memory with some 667MHz memory I have on my present PC and then go into BIOS Aand do the adjustment and save it and power off before it damages it and then replace back to corsair, is there any other OPTION?
    • When MB posts, power off, install PSU and SATA drive, optical drive, floppy drive into case. Connect all components.
    • Power up, navigate to PC health status and monitor CPU temp for 20 mins
    • Navigate to Integ.. Perpherials and set <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">SATA</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Port</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> 0-3 to enabled
    • Save and exit.
    • Restart and load windows XP CD.
    • Is it here there will be an option to press F6 to load 3<SUP>rd</SUP> party SATA driver?
    • Load floppy with driver and will there be an automatic procedure to load driver?
    • I assume the next step will be to partition the drive, I need c:\ and d:\ for recovery partition, will XP make it easy to do this?
    • Now it should then start loading OS, it will then restart and then load some more drivers I expect (I leave alone all pop-ups found new H/W)
    • Remove XP CD restart PC, load gigabyte CD and I hope I just click INSTALL ALL, will that be OK
    • All done
    Please go through the points and add or change points but please indicate point number so I know what point I need to be aware is different or added.

many thanks for your fantastic help and next week since I off, I will have to pleasure to build it and see.

krishan

Ahh, yeah it would copy to floppy correctly. Sorry I thought you did not have one right then.

Press ON button on MB, if posts great, press reset and go into BIOS and set DRAM Voltage to 2.1 for corsair. Now I am not sure about this as if the RAM voltage is an issue and it does not POST what are my options? I assume I could remove and replace memory with some 667MHz memory I have on my present PC and then go into BIOS Aand do the adjustment and save it and power off before it damages it and then replace back to corsair, is there any other OPTION?
    Well first if you have no luck, try with only one stick of ram in slot one. Then if still not luck, yes use some older ram and get in the BIOS and set the timings on Auto or very high/loose and then up the ram voltage save and shut down and put in the Other ram

Is it here there will be an option to press F6 to load 3rd party SATA driver?
    Yes, RIGHT at the VERY Start of the XP install process you will see at the bottom of the screen press F6 to load drivers. Press it a few times to be sure, then after a minute or two it will then ask you to specify the driver and to load it. Then after that the install will continue to load files and then finally you will see your disk window where you will format (I always use Quick format unless you are trying to clear a drive). Do remove the Floppy once XP is done installing or when you reboot it will try to boot from the floppy

I assume the next step will be to partition the drive, I need c:\ and d:\ for recovery partition, will XP make it easy to do this?
    Yes, it will be easy and clear on how to create and format partitions. Make both you want before you continue with the install. Since you do want 2, be sure when you create C to leave some space for the second drive

All your plans look good man, you shouldn't have many issues if any.

thanks for all your help, will report back next week on this thread and I don't know if you get many total PC virgins like me but could edit the procedure and keep it up there so any further virgins can get instant understanding of what happens when.

krishan

Good luck, and keep us posted. Na, not often many ask about setting up, just once they have built then they ask about issues. It is good you asked beforehand about actually setting up.

Hi

Well the build has started, outside the box, and I decided to buy some corsair 1.9V 6400 RAM and it posted no problem, I have also set the item you said in Integ. Perl..(below RAID/AHCI, the top one) to enable, monitored CPU temp as 34.

BUT!!
    The CPU is showing up as running at 2.66G with a FSB of 333, multiplier is 8!!! why is this I just went into it and it gives me an option to change it up to 9 (3G) why is all this, I got a E8500, that what it says on the box.

Please help explain why?

thanks

krishan

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information