Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-DS4 new build

Default Re: GA-EP45-DS4 new build

Hi

I seem to have one issue regarding X-recovery2. I loaded the gigabyte disk in then went into recovery, had 2 options, BACKUP and REBOOT. Choose backup, it sort of seem to do something, at least that what it said, but next time I found the same options, no RESTORE option, so checked the HDD, which I have attached, the un-allocated space is still there.

The only thing I did was orginally, I created 2 partitions, C: and D:, both I formatted. But what I realised what recovery2 uses the un-used space which was 8M and it said cannot backup, not enough space, so I deleted the partition D: which created the 24GB space on C: drive.

krishan
    Attached Images Attached Images GA-EP45-DS4 new build-disk-jpg 

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

YOu have it correct now in that second image, however you may need ALOT more space to backup C as it is a 600+ Drive. It will backup all that is used in that space, and I am not sure about the compression rate of XpressRecovery but you will need at least 75% of the actual disk usage on C for the size of your backup partition.

This program is made to be used with system and drivers installed after you first get going, so you can roll back if something goes wrong. I am sure it would backup your whole system anytime but you likely would not want to use all that much space for backups as your C drive grows larger.

So what you should do is make C smaller so D can be about twice as much and see if that helps. If you really do have ALOT like 100GB or something like that on C I would think you would need 75GB or more for your backup partition

Let me know if you need some partition tools

I also communicated with tech support and they did not say anything different other than increase the size of the un-allocated. Trouble is at the moment with a few programs added the used space on C; drive is only 21.1GB, so why should recovery2 fail when it has 24.7GB???

Now suppose I decide to go with their suggestion and reload XP, Can you tell me, do I do the following:

I have added a sound blaster X-Fi Xtreme audio sound card

1. Reboot after loading XP disk
    2. Partition drive:
    drive will be 715GB, so allocate 660GB for c: drive and creat no more partitions.

3. Put gigabyte disk in and reload all drivers on the gigabyte disk (Intel, audio, etc)

4. Reboot, enter recovery2 and follow procedure

Is the above correct, or do I not need to load drivers from giagbyte disk?

I am presently, running BIOS F9.

thanks

krishan

Well, since you do only have 21GB on C maybe there is no or little compression used in the backups and possibly more room is needed for additional XpressRecovery Data/files as well.

Yes, that looks correct. You did say in step 3 you planned to load drivers from the disk, so ya you would still need to do that. But you should not use the "Install All" feature as you plan to install your own sound card. So install them one by one with the Manual install tab and leave out the realtek or Microsoft UUA sound drivers but install all the rest.

You really do not need to Re-Install XP to make your C drive smaller. Please see here for a program and "how-to" on partition re-sizing. It was not written for this purpose (It was written for making a 1GB partition for BIOS flashing), but you will get the program and the idea of how to resize your C partition >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/two-...07/index2.html

Well I tried around 50GB, now I have it at 90GB and that's it, no more, still does not work. I did a bit of web searching and many people are also stumped and giveup and source some other method.

If you look closely at the manual, it shows a HDD where the unallocated space is bigger than the C:\ !!!, which is pointless.

So unless anyone has got it going can add any comment I will just move on from recovery2.

krishan

Hmm, Well I have a RAID setup 0+1 so I cannot test it for you. You are not using AHCI or RAID Are you?

Ya, I noted that in the manual as well. I am sure that is just for example purposes and is not necessary at all.

Acronis makes great backup software if you would just like to move on >>>
    Backup software for data backup and disaster recovery in Windows and Linux - Acronis

They do offer a Free version (not trial) but it is only for Seagate/Maxtor >>
    http://www.seagate.com/support/discw...rdSetup.en.exe

If you would like me to look for some other freeware type of app for you I can, let me know

thanks, I think I will move on to true image.

K, good luck. I used to LOVE my 1.44MB copy of 2003 GHOST but sadly it does not work with RAID or SATA

I do use Norton's Save and Restore 2.0 for imaging now though

Hi

Just a point about my device manager. Now since as you said not to install the audio driver as I have installed my own sound card and creative driver for that, if you look at the device manager, just don't know what SM bus is? I expect the HD audio question mark is OK since I have not loaded one and I am not using HD audio, just 5.1 speakers

thanks
    krishan
    Attached Images Attached Images GA-EP45-DS4 new build-device-manager-jpg 

SM Bus is part of the intel Chipset package, so it appears you do not have that installed.

That could be why XpressRecovery was not working for you, not sure. But here please do install this and reboot >>>
    http://www.station-drivers.com/telec...ivers.com).exe

Or direct (Same Package, It is a 32/64 multi OS Installer) >>
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...?ProductID=816

Choose XP Home, right? Then on the next page you want the second link down the .exe not the top .zip file
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 11-03-2008 at 02:57 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information