Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: DS3R vs DS4 vs DQ6 regarding oc and performance

Default DS3R vs DS4 vs DQ6 regarding oc and performance

First of all: I am glad, that I found this forum (referred from another forum)! Thank you. I hope it is OK to post here about what to buy?

I am in Europe, 55 years old, have had more than 10 PC's since 1982. My PC is from 2003 and I have not read about hardware the last 5 years!!

I am new to overclocking, like to learn about it, but I use my PC ordinary, not heavy tasks like video-editing, Photoshop etc. Hardest jobs are probably burning DVD's, converting video and audio files - but rarely.

I just like a fast PC. So far I have read on tomshardware.com, overclockersclub.com, motherboards.org, xbitlabs.com about motherboards and cpu.

CPU: It seems, that I can do fine with E8400, E8500 or E8600

I have read so much positive about Gigabyte mobos, that I have decided for one, but which one. I have read this:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R (R=Raid): (sept. 2008) overclockersclub.com: for those, who do not need many features. Very good. bit-tech.net recommends. XBITLABS.COM: fine. Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 failed to overclock a dual-core processors, though coped fine with quad-core CPU overclocking.
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4: just as good as DQ6 regarding OC?
    Gigabyte EP-45 Extreme: overclockersclub.com: Overall, I would have to say that the limited edition Gigabyte EP-45 Extreme is the best motherboard that I've ever used for overclocking. Entusiast mobo. OC'er a little bit better than DQ6
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6: (top model) XbitLabs.com (oct. 2008): Editorís Choice title as the best OC platform. motherboards.org: Editors Choice sept. 2008

My question is: As a newbie in overclocking, compared to DS3R, what do I get with DS4 or DS5 or DQ6?
    And should it be X48 or EP45 chipset or another?

/Michael, Denmark
    Last edited by goeasy; 10-21-2008 at 04:33 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: DS3R vs DS4 vs DQ5 regarding oc and performance

Ya, It sure is ok to post about builds!

Yeah a 8400 will do great, as would the others if you wanted to splurge for the extra multiplier's. If you do not plan to overclock too much then a 8400 will do you fine, most get 4Ghz out of them

Ep45-DS3R overclocks Dual Core just fine, have a look around the site you will see many user's have them and overclock just fine.

DS4/5 has a few more options as far as onboard connections and BIOS options, and the DQ6 and above have even more Options and connections/features as well as a quad BIOS as opposed to the Dual BIOS of the DS3/4.

If you would like a comparison page I can show you a newegg comparision page, or maybe a Gigabyte comparison page if I can get it to work

X48 if you want 2 x16 Lane PCIE, other then that get a P45. X48 also has far less OC options in the BIOS compared to the P45 boards

Thank you so much. I buy E8400 and GA-EP45-DS3R.

Hey, looks like you got it edited? I see the correct title, and it says you edited it.

So all good then now? I would suggest a DS4/DS4P if you have the extra Cash, but the DS3R is a great board as well

No, the title still says DQ5, should be DQ6. I have the cash and I think I get the new Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R, should be cooler than DS3R. Great help, you are! Thank you.

Default Re: DS3R vs DS4 vs DQ6 regarding oc and performance

Ahh, Ok. I see it now, and have changed it. I was looking at the title at the very top of the post, not the main title I guess. Anyhow, fixed now

Thread Information