Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tRD "Performance" bios bug?

Default Re: tRD "Performance" bios bug?

Mine is the same as in all of those pictures you have shown. There is only one version of 2.40.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ahh, well I guess I did not think of that!

Ya, at certain FSB you will only be able to choose certain Strap/memory multi combinations with your BIOS/Board. The BIOS is crippled when it comes to strap choices for P35, for manual choices but I assure you Auto is using one even though you cannot. So I guess you was indeed correct about what you said in post 5.

I do believe if you use a Lower CPU multi and higher FSB you will find some variants. Also see what 200, and 266 FSB give you as choices. I do know it is hindered by the BIOS options in P35

But still this is not a error when tRD is changed by Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ahh, well I guess I did not think of that!

Ya, at certain FSB you will only be able to choose certain Strap/memory multi combinations with your BIOS/Board. The BIOS is crippled when it comes to strap choices for P35, for manual choices but I assure you Auto is using one even though you cannot. So I guess you was indeed correct about what you said in post 5.

I do believe if you use a Lower CPU multi and higher FSB you will find some variants. Also see what 200, and 266 FSB give you as choices. I do know it is hindered by the BIOS options in P35

But still this is not a error when tRD is changed by Auto
    Well I've tried what you have said and the list of multipliers doesn't change.

However I tried the 2.00 memory multiplier and upped the CPU host frequency to 400 (800mem, 1600fsb) and then the CPU multiplier can be set to 6, 7, 7.5 or 8x . Giving 2.4Ghz, 2.8Ghz, 3.0Ghz or 3.2Ghz.
    I don't like the idea of the bus being at 1600Mhz though, although it does allow me to overclock and keep my ram at 800Mhz...

What are your thoughts about running a 1333Mhz chip at 400Mhz and using a lowe multiplier Lsdme?
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

You will be fine, I run a 1333 CPU at 1800 and 2000 FSB all day long.

And so you know, Which maybe you did, maybe not? You can set cpu multi to 6-8 anytime at any givin FSB, with a .5 multi between as well. So 6/6.5/7/7.5/8 anytime you like.

If you do want 1:1 to have your ram at 800 exact you will be fine, but you should test if it is better that way. Surely it would be anyway as the faster FSB you use the better.

Ya, P35 BIOS is kinda funky. I never understood why they show the 333 strap and you cannot use it either (The # Symbol)

For some reason, I will check it again, but the CPU 6.5x multiplier cannot be selected...

Ya, P35 BIOS is kinda funky. I never understood why they show the 333 strap and you cannot use it either (The # Symbol)
    Indeed, They mention it in the bios side notes that it's for a 1333Mhz chip and yet when you fit one (as i have) there are no options available utilising it in the memory multiplier list.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 10-23-2008 at 04:37 PM.

Hmm, Odd. You should be able to use 6.5 for sure

Ya, I had a long discussion with daviddavisleesomething about that as well when he bought one. I guess I never noticed on mine, I used 450 FSB always and 2.00

When selecting Auto for the System Memory Multipler the BIOS is selecting certain memory configurations. With the Performance Enhance set to Turbo the Bios will program an aggressive setting, which means a lower tRD and maybe higher MCH voltage if set in auto.

Manually selecting the System Memory Multipler makes the Bios sense the system is overclocking, which should give less aggressive settings, which is a higher tRD value for a sucessful boot. My P35 board starts giving warnings when maually selecting the Memory Multipler as it does when sensing the system is being set to overclock. Set your system to not overclock or standard and see if your board does the same.

There is nothing wrong with this conservative approach and makes sense when you think about it. Especially since there is the option to set the tRD value as aggressively as desired or rather as much as possible.

When the Bios senses an overclock situation it also warns to set Performance Enhance to standard, which does set less agressive memory timings. Maybe you are also setting PE to standard when choosing the memory multipler???

What is confusing is once you have set your values, saved, rebooted and re-entered the bios, the suggested system settings are still the same.

Now I know whilst overclocking and checking Voltages etc with that method, that indeed settings change once you have saved in bios. But the setting tRD only changes on it's "trip" to windows from 7 to 9 in my scenario. (see first post)

Quote Originally Posted by VorLonUK View Post
    What is confusing is once you have set your values, saved, rebooted and re-entered the bios, the suggested system settings are still the same.

Now I know whilst overclocking and checking Voltages etc with that method, that indeed settings change once you have saved in bios. But the setting tRD only changes on it's "trip" to windows from 7 to 9 in my scenario. (see first post)
    I saw the first post and tRD changes from 7 to 9 when manually setting the multipler from auto and keeping the advanced tRD setting at auto.

Setup b
    MIT Section-------------------------------->Windows MemSet 3.5

System Memory Multiplier = 2.40
    (800Mhz)

tRD (7) Auto-------------------------------->tRD = 9

Now with that in mind re-read what I posted.

Edit To help clarify: Setting PE to Standard from Turbo will change tRD to a higher value if tRD is set to auto.

If you haven't changed PE then setting the multipler manually with tRD in auto will also set the value higher as you have noticed.

Also the left colum in the Bios is SPD not the setting. The setting is the right hand colum and if set to Auto will be set by the Bios. When the Bios sets the value it could or could not be the SPD value.

Also note in the Memory sticky you can set the advanced memory settings to a certain value and it could still be set to a different value by the Bios or MemSet is reading the value incorrectly.
    Last edited by Merman; 10-24-2008 at 02:37 AM.

I always have "Performance Enhance" set to Standard, whatever the setup.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information