Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EP45 DS3P - Wide Range of Problems Help please

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EP45 DS3P - Wide Range of Problems Help please

Well... you can always lie since you just got it. Say it came to you with a broken clip and a dead slot

As for the card, you may be able to slip it thru RMA dept. just put the heatsink back on and say it smelled burnt and never worked

Ouch, you should never run a card without a heatsinks for sure. You should PM the admin there and get that post removed!!!!

And yeah, there is for SURE metal in there so if you got it on ANY Metal traces under the heatsink you likely made a short (Clean this up before any RMA Attempt) >>>

The Unick Silicone Heat Transfer Compound is a grease-like silicone material that is heavily impregnated with heat conductive metal oxides

If it was just the bad slot 0 I'd have no problems RMAing the mobo. But I've broken the clip in the meantime, so it's not the same condition I received the item in.
    As for the video card, they know how long we've had it - it's already RMA'd. When we first received the 8800GT, something caused a hole to be blown in one of the chips on the card - you could see this big pit in the middle of it. That's why I went and bought a new power supply a couple of days ago to replace a 5 month old Coolermaster 600W PSU - just in case the PSU was killing gear. All the voltage readings looked stable and well within range, but something must account for the video card frying, and the memory to go bad on the old ASUS mobo (the original reason for everything being upgraded at once). But I digress....

Gigabyte did the right thing by us when the video card first fried itself, so it's fair that I should be honest with them. I'm just a little bit miffed that the mobo had a fault, and I can't RMA it because of my stupid error breaking the clip because of their stupid design putting the memory clip so close to the graphics card. And of course my stupidity in not thinking of consequences before removing the heatsink. Live and learn...

I'm not worried about powering up the graphics card with the heat sink removed. It was only long enough to see the beginning of the POST, then it was powered off. The card was under minimal stress and it was only powered up for a second or two - just long enough to confirm it displayed something.

You said
    Ouch, you should never run a card without a heatsinks for sure. You should PM the admin there and get that post removed!!!!
    There's no point removing the post because Gigabyte will never link this username with the issue. And it may be useful to other readers, which is what the forum is all about.

I think I'll contact Gigabyte and see if they can test and repair the video card. I might even explain the situation with the mobo and see what they say. I'm still not sure it wasn't a mobo fault that encouraged the video card to die just after I moved it from its donor machine, and there's obviously a fault with the memory slot, so who knows what other faults it might have.

Anyone got any suggestions on how hot the 8800GT should get, and how we can monitor the temperature? The card may actually be working 'normally' now.

Thanks

Well, you can always lie about the ram clip. But I guess maybe you are to honest for that?

About your quote by me. I meant since that was not good advice you should ask to have the post removed by the person who said it was ok to run without a heatsink. That is terrible advice for sure

I would say GPU Core temps of 60-70C would be normal but I am not for sure. I think over 70C would be hot I can say that for sure. You can check temps with GPU-z >>>>
    GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility

Gigabyte Global Technical Services have been very helpful. They suggested I RMA the motherboard. It's the first time they've heard of this fault - just my luck.

As to the 8800GT, well, that's another story altogether.

I bought a 9800GT and some Antec Formula 5 paste. I cleaned out the old paste from the 8800GT and replaced it with the Antec, just to be safe. I moved the 8800GT to an EP35-DS3 and the 9800GT to my son's machine. The 8800GT worked reasonably well for a couple of days, and the HUD program said the temperature was good. Then the machine stopped after some message about power or screen saving. This was on the EP35-DS3 (ie not the board with the marginal slot 0). Rebooting the machine did nothing. If I removed the power cable and reinserted it then turned on the power I saw a quick flash from the LEDs on the mobo, a small movement on the CPU fan and the video card fan, then nothing. That looked like a serious short to me.

Took a close look at the card. There's a dimple on one of the chips. Exactly the same chip that had the hole in it when I RMA's the original card. How's my luck? Two cards with exactly the same problem. Only problem is, I have no idea how long the hole had been in the chip.

It looks as though I actually had 2 problems happening at around the same time. I thought it was all being caused by the new motherboard.

If anyone's interested, it's the 5th chip down from the power connector on the 8800GT, labelled Q544. The 8800GT is a model GV-NX88T512HP, Rev 1.0. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has the same problem.

Thanks for your advice, LSDmeASAP. And thanks Gigabyte Tech.

Hmm, well at least you know the problem now. So did your Gigabyte RAM go smoothly, did you get your new board yet?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information