Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Having video problems at bootup

Default Re: Having video problems at bootup

Well, after working on my oc and voltages, I finally got 1 hour occt stable @ 3.8ghz. It ook msetting vcore to 1.356 in bios, but the chart after it finishes says vcore started @ 1.31 and dropped to 1.28 in 2 min. My mem settings are pretty tight, i was going to relax them instead of ramping up the juice, but i have read these boards have really bad vdroop, so i have my ram @ 4-4-4-13 2T @2.0v. Temps never hit 62c. Mostly hovered arond 56-59c.
    That still seems a little high to me, reading how great this xiggy with mx-2 is supposed to cool. I might reseat it. I might have too much on there. Also i forgot about the extra stand-offs on the mobo tray that aren't being used because my asus board used different ones, so i don't know if there are any that might be touching the mobo. I probably wouldn't have passed occt if there were any interference back there, but i will check when i reseat the hs....later...much later...lol
    So, am I right about the vdroop? Is this a safe vcore for the long run? I don't want my e8400 dying in a year. I see in another forum with my mobo thread that a guy has 0.3v on his nb, and he's running @ 5xx fsb. Very high vcore like me also. but he got his to 4ghz, i think cuz he has an EO stepping.

It wasn't easy getting this thing to 3.8, and i am thinking about dropping it back down to 3.6, or 3.7 if that's all i need to run games like far cry 2. At those speeds i was stable with a LOT less juice. No bumps in nb either. fro some reason, this thing doesn't like running at 3.8 or over, or maybe i am too stuborn about the timings. I'm thinking 5-5-5-15 will slow down my pc's performance, even though i might be able to hit 4ghz.

I know cpu is always king, but a friend told me that 5-5-5-15 is really loose. But i see quite a few people settle for those timings with 2gb of good ram to get to 4ghz, (micron d9's...these boards love mushkin d9's). Fortunately, that's what i have. So what's your take on all this, lsd?
    Intel e8400 (back from rma)
    Xigmatech s1283 Hs with bolt-on bracket + mx-2,
    gigabyte ep35-DS3L mobo
    (mx-2 on chipsets and cpu) bios f6a (factory flashed)
    evercool on northbridge,
    evga gtx260-(216)
    2X1gb Mushkin XP2-6400 4-4-4-13/2T 2.0v
    Lite-on dvd +rw -r/Asus cd
    Cm Stacker 830 evo (black)
    24" sammy 2443bwx
    OCZ eliteXstream 800w
    Audigy2 plat/5.1 logitech z5300e
    74gb Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post

You should keep init first display set to PEG
    If you don't mind me asking...Why?
    Nothing is impossible... Just mathematically improbable..

"The best defense against computer viruses might not even be antivirus software, but a crafty combination of education and common sense."

Intel Pentium e5200 @ 3.8HZ (380 X 10)
    Giga-byte GA-EP35-DS3L
    Mushkin 4GB DDR2 800 @ 760MHZ 4-4-3-10 @ +0.3v
    SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    Seagate 160GB @ 7200rpm
    SB Audigy2
    Corsair 520HX
    Super Antec Lanboy
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit RTM
    Acer AL2216Wbd 22"

Well, after fooling around with this board all morning, i found it's sweet spot, @ 3.7ghz-1.280v. Anything over that and it wants a LOT of juice and it gets dam warm when testing, breaking 60c @ load. I learned it's vdroop spot, and it's right after 3.7.

Also, i found a great stability tester. It's actually the one intel uses to test their cpu's before they ship them out. It's called simply enough, IntelBurnTest It is really intense, and will find out if your system is stable in about 8 minutes at the suggested 5 rounds of tests. So all i had to do was start at a low voltage, (wouldn't boot), and just kept raising it 'till it booted, then i started running the tests, failing them and going into bios to raise it a notch to find the minimum stable voltage and i ran that baby for ten rounds. Just watch your temps.

After i got it stable, i ran 2 rounds of '06. I hit 16,789 with my gtx oc'ed . I read you need to have at least 3.6ghz to make these cards really shine, and boy does it ever. It beat out my old sli set-up with 2 880g92's @ 774c/1800sh/1100mem. So now all i have to do is reseat the hs somtime in the future. and giving a boost to the pci-e slot seems to help.

Just goes to show you how different every single component is. You can have 2 completely identical pc's side by side, and they will not perform identically, rather each one has it's own "personality and quirks" you have to get to know and work out individually. Sometimes it's a slow tedious method, writing down changes to backtrack to, and getting to know the limitations of your system while not harming it.

I've built 5 pc's so far and this is my 1st intel. Man, i learned a lot from this, as i learned a lot from the amd builds. But intel plays a whole 'nother ball game from amd. And man, am i glad to get rid of the crappy nividea chipset. They may make great vcards, but intel kicks their arse when it comes to chipsets. Seems the more I learn, the less I know!

I belong to another forum and they have a thread for just this mobo, and another for just the e8400. Wow. seems to be a popular combo for people who are on a bit of a budget but want performance. But you gotta get good parts to compliment them, like a good psu, vcard....etc. It was a lot of agrivating work, but it was well worth it. And yeah, Lsd, why set to peg? Lol.
    Last edited by jazluvr; 10-28-2008 at 05:17 AM.
    gigabyte ep35-DS3L mobo
    evercool on northbridge,
    evga gtx260-(216)
    24" sammy 2443bwx
    OCZ eliteXstream 800w
    74gb Raptor

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

@ Soldier

Init Display First Display

Specifies the first initiation of the monitor display from the installed PCI graphics card or
    PCI Express graphics card.

PCI Sets the PCI graphics card as the first display. (Default)

PEG Sets PCI Express graphics card on the PCI Express x16 slot (PCIEX16_1
    as the first display.

PEG2 Sets PCI Express graphics card on the PCI Express x8 slot (PCIEX8_1) as
    first display.
    So since most all users use PCI-E and use the first slot PEG should be the setting used

@ jazluvr

Well 1.28-1.31 may be a little high, but maybe not. Not all chips are the same keep that in mind. And yes, it is safe for 24/7 use. I am using more and know plenty who have been using far more for a year almost. New sockets will be out and you will want one far before your CPU dies.

As for your heatsink and temps. Not sure what you meant about standoffs, but if you do not use all four you for sure will have issues. Be sure they are all used, and Tight

Those are normal temps for 3.8-4Ghz on air you are fine! 75C is where I would start to worry

Not sure what you meant when you mentioned Vdrop/Vdroop in the same sentance as ram timings, they are not related. Your Vcore does not affect ram stability or Timings being used.

Which Mushkin Model # do you have, and what speed are you running them and I can better say what timings you may be able to use. Also keep in mind advanced timings have a large effect on performance as well

Intel Burn Test is not a actual Intel product, just so you know. It is made by a overclocker (AgentGOD) from the application called LinPack >>>
    IntelBurnTest - The new stress-testing program - XtremeSystems Forums

And has been remade (if you would like to play with it) into LinX so it has GUI here is the thread where the user (Dua|ist) made that and it's testing and beta's and such >>>
    LinX - A simple Linpack interface - XtremeSystems Forums

A member Stasio has posted versions of both and updates them regularly here >>.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/intel-burn-test-27994/

And yeap all systems (Ram, CPU, Board, ect) are never the same even if they are the same make and model. Like you said all things have their own quirks and what one can do another may not at all

I thought it kinda of wierd that the name "agentgod" would be there if it was an official intel tool. Thanks for clearing that up. My mushkins, are 2X1gb model# 996523. My board won't post with it's specified 4-4-3-10 timings, and there's no option on this mobo to seletct 1T, but 2T is ok, better for staibility anyway.

I was kinda burnt out from trying to get this thing going when i posted the ram timings in the same sentence with vdroop. I was kinda all over the page with that, so please disregard. I really tried to get over 3.7 with this board. But i don't want to have to lossen the crap out of my timings to get there. I see many people are running 5-5-5-15, but they mostly have 4gb of ram and need them loose, or it's higher rated and uses them anyway.

It just seems to be my chips limitation, as far as i know. I am using all the standoffs, but i forgot and left some in, as my old asus board used more, and i forgot to take them out when i replaced it with this mobo that uses less.

But i think the extra standoffs are not under the mobo...i think they the ones still visible to the right of the mobo on the removable tray. I just thought i might have forgot to remove a couple under the board that this board doesn't use, but i probably would know by now. I'll make sure when i re-seat the hs.

I had some help from a friend that knows quite a bit about gigabyte-intel boards and he even pointed me to this forum. I have been talking to him during the entire process, and he agreed that i probably have hit the sweet spot for the board and cpu combo. Some chips are great oc'ers some are not. Maybe i just got unlucky again and got a bum chip.

All i know is anything above 3.7 and this thing needs 3.5xxv and over to get stable, and I just don't like all the heat and juice going to the chip. It's just not worth the extra 100mghz to hit 3.8. And i would have had to loosen ram timings to hit it, because i just had no more options. It was either more juice or looser ram timings. Oh, and the only ones i have set in bios are the ones in my sig.

I had problems with other boards when i started setting the other timings in bios. I found that leaving most of them on auto is fine. Maybe not optimal, but i don't want to spend a week trying to find that "ultimate spot" as far as bios settings go.

You say 1.28- 1.31 might be a little high?? This is after vdroop. In bios, i have is set to 1.3xx(i forgot) and this is what cpu-z is showing me. I gave it the lowest voltage i could possibly give to get stable with that burntest program. And it's nice and cool. Right now I'm idling @ 41c, and i don't break 57 load. but i see others who have their cpu running faster with more vcore with cooler temps, with same xiggy s1283, so i think i have too much mx-2 on.

Also a lot of people have eo stepping, which are great oc'ers, but i see a lot of nice oc's with the CO, (which i have). In bios i have the warning set to 70C. Personally, i don't like anything over 63-64c load. that would also equate to around 43-45 idle. I have read in more than one forum discussion of these e8400's having wonky temp sensors. Hence me trying to keep things on the cooler side of things.
    -----------
    Edit; I'm not as young as you might think, so this will probably be my last pc build as far as upgrading goes. I'm pretty much maxed out on the cc with the last 2 builds. can't afford to keep doing this.
    Last edited by jazluvr; 10-29-2008 at 12:52 AM.
    gigabyte ep35-DS3L mobo
    evercool on northbridge,
    evga gtx260-(216)
    24" sammy 2443bwx
    OCZ eliteXstream 800w
    74gb Raptor

Ya, 1T is not available on P35 boards. Just so you know.

Ahh sorry about your standoff, I thought you meant CPU mounting items. Since you do mean standoff's under the board FOR SURE remove all that are not used as you may end up shorting the board sometime if there is unused ones under there.

That ram is Great ram, it is made with D9's as well! I really doubt your CPU's limit is 3.7-3.8 at all. And yes you can run tight timings, but usually only at about 800-860 or so and then you have to start using 5-x-x-x normally. Sometimes they may do 4-5-5-12 up to about 900 though.

When you mention 1.35 Voltage is that Set in the BIOS or actual you see in CPU-z? YOu may just need a bit more is all. But since you do say you only have the settings in your sig set as far as ram timings then that may be the whole issue. Those sticks likely have a Low Static Tread Programmed and that would fail at much higher then stock ram speeds.

I said 1.31 or so may be a little high as far as what is needed for 3.7, as most I see can do 3.4-3.6 on stock voltages. I just think you have some other setting holding you back that you need to change

And when you see others mention temps, are they talking Intel Burn Test temps? As that makes things VERY Hot, most test with Orthos or Prime and it is much cooler so they may be talking about temps and using those apps. But of course you could have used to much paste, less is more

I have a CO Xeon E3100 (Same as E8400) and I can do 4.2 with about 1.33 Actual voltage.

Hey, what are you looking at core temps with and is it the latest? The funky sensor issues happen with Idle voltages, all of them are fine with load temps. So if you are using the latest Program (CoreTemp, Everest, Or Configured RealTemp) then you can trust your load temps for sure. Realtemp will show you if you have a stuck sensor or not if you wanted to check. I have gotten 3 of the CPU's I have and all were fine, and no it is not just because of the Xeon Binning, as I have seen a few users who have them with stuck sensors

I hear ya, I am likely not as young as you think either!

So hey, lets look at your settings fully as of now so I can see maybe why you think you cannot do 4Ghz >>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8] 
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450] 
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] 
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] 
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] 
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] 
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

i would happily post the bios setting for you if i knew how. I feel like an idiot. I saw a post where you explained to someone how to take a snapshot of the bios and post it here using that template, but after searching for an hour, cannot seem to find it. How do i do this?
    -----
    Yes, i have it set to 1.3xx in bios and cpu-z is showing me the lower value of 1.280v.
    Also my buddy that helps me had me set the multi to 9, mem multi to 2.0, and mgz @ 400 and it booted right up into 3.6ghz w stock voltages.

I just repeated what he told me and when i went to 3.7, i had to raise vcore quite a bit. Man, for somebody that passed the A= certification test, i sure feel dumb about this stuff. I can't post a screenshot of bios. I mean, i can i guess but don't know how.
    Last edited by jazluvr; 10-30-2008 at 02:29 AM.
    gigabyte ep35-DS3L mobo
    evercool on northbridge,
    evga gtx260-(216)
    24" sammy 2443bwx
    OCZ eliteXstream 800w
    74gb Raptor

I answered your other post about this before I noticed this one, you have to do it manually

Done deal :-) bios posted in other thread.

K, Posted back! Sorry about all the confusion in your other post. Even I first thought you meant actually to print the BIOS settings like copy/paste from the BIOS. So The others who posted where just trying to tell you thinking of that as well likely

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information