Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having video problems at bootup

Unhappy Having video problems at bootup

When i boot up my pc, my screen slowly blinks itself to life from a blank screen into windows desktop. It happened when i had my evga 8800gtsg92 also. I tried switching both dvi and power cords, and it's still happening.

Anybody know what the problem could be? I called Samsung, and was told to unplug the dvi cable from the pc, and i got a "video cable signal" screen moving around on my display. He said it's a self test and my monitor is fine.

I'm 18 hours orthos stable, memtest for about 4 hours, occt for an hour. No problems. Sometimes when my screen goes blank when i leave the pc unattended for 20 minutes, (which i have set to shut it off), it does it trying to start back up. Sometimes if i turn off the pc, and turn it back on a few hours later it's ok....sometimes. It's like a random problem, except that it always happens on 1st boot-up of the day.

I'm concerned something is going to burn out or break if this continues. Any help would be much appreciated. Just so you know, this is my 4th pc build, 1st intel. Previous builds were all amd. so I'm sill kinda wet behind the ears about intel platform. Other wise, everything is good to go.
    Last edited by jazluvr; 10-24-2008 at 05:03 AM.
    Intel e8400 (back from rma)
    Xigmatech s1283 Hs with bolt-on bracket + mx-2,
    gigabyte ep35-DS3L mobo
    (mx-2 on chipsets and cpu) bios f6a (factory flashed)
    evercool on northbridge,
    evga gtx260-(216)
    2X1gb Mushkin XP2-6400 4-4-4-13/2T 2.0v
    Lite-on dvd +rw -r/Asus cd
    Cm Stacker 830 evo (black)
    24" sammy 2443bwx
    OCZ eliteXstream 800w
    Audigy2 plat/5.1 logitech z5300e
    74gb Raptor

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Having video problems at bootup

Is this vista? If so, sounds like you need to adjust several of your power options. Have you done this, even if it is XP? Like you may need to set "Turn off monitor" to never, put system to sleep never and so on.

You are using a newer BIOS right? Just thought I would ask, as I do see many users never update their BIOS which often newer BIOS's fix issues.

It's winxp home edition, 32bit. sp3. I pretty much copied blackvipers "safe" configurations except for some some msn and my usb stuff will work ok, the settings in "services", like print spooler and other minor crap. I did a succesful bios flash to f5 when i got the board, even though it reckognized my cpu, I've read in many user reviews to use f5 because it not only supports newer 45nm cpu's but it has better ocing features. I know about the (F1) thing in the main bios window to get to more detailed settings, but nothing that would affect my monitor.

I'll try the settings you suggested, but i doubt it will make a difference. I usually have it set to 15 minutes, but i set it to 3 hours so i can use stability testing programs. By the way, I'm 18 hours orthos stable, about 3 hours memtest, and an hour occt. When i turned on my pc this morning, i instantly got the "check signal cable" box slowing bouncing around my display.

After trying another cable (again), no change. Then i just turned the monitor off, then back on again, and i was instantly right at my desktop, ready to roll. This is driving me nuts. Definatly my last pc build. Need a new freakin' hobby.
    gigabyte ep35-DS3L mobo
    evercool on northbridge,
    evga gtx260-(216)
    24" sammy 2443bwx
    OCZ eliteXstream 800w
    74gb Raptor

Can you test a older card or monitor? I just had a user today with similar issues find a bad DVI connection on their monitor

I have a sammy 19" 930b i hooked up before to test the cords and mobo.. started right up. Already said i had the same problem using my old 8800g92 while waiting for my gtx 260 (216) evga step up. Tried 3 different dvi cords.

This keeps up I'm going back to my amd set-up. I had an m2n32 sli deluxe and an a6400@3.2ghz With the above harware. I switched to intel because nvidia's chipsets suck with sli, my system wouldn't boot with the slightest oc on the cards. So i bought this intel board because i good pc savy friend of mine highly reccomended it, and did the step up thing to get the gtx 260. I've read only a 4870X2 can get close to saturating the pci-e1.1 bus.

So my old 19" monitor works, but samsung told me to unplug the monitor while pc was on, and i got the check video cable box, which the guy @ samsung said is a "self-test the monitor does, and it is working properly.
    gigabyte ep35-DS3L mobo
    evercool on northbridge,
    evga gtx260-(216)
    24" sammy 2443bwx
    OCZ eliteXstream 800w
    74gb Raptor

Hmm, well Let me know if you get the same with your new card. Since you did test a older card and get the same, sounds to me like maybe a bad cord or connection on the monitor. You do have PEG set in init first display, in integrated peripherals right (Doesnt matter so much, just checking)?

I agree with your buddy, Intel based boards rock and Nvidia Chipset boards are terrible

Hey, did you try adding +0.1-.2 to PCI E Overvoltage?

I already have my gtx260. I was running my old g92 in this mobo while waiting for it. And I started having this problem right after 1st boot-up with this mobo. (+g92), then when i got my gtx in, i deleted drivers, ran driver cleaner pro in safe mode, even running the cab cleaner as i usually do, then installed the newest drivers, with dsl unplugged, anti-virus and firewall off. I've tried the privious drivers too, and got the same thing.

I've tried PEG and PCI and it doesn't help, but i haven't tried overvolting the pci-e slot, I thought about it, but don't all boards with pci-e slots run @ like 75 watts? I thought the only difference between 1.1 and 2.0 is bandwidth. The only reason i didn't try it, is I'm afraid to fry my monitor. This is safe to do?. I'll have to set it before i turn off the pc for the night and see what happens tomorrow, as it only happens at 1st boot 95% of the time. Thanks for keeping up with me on this, i appreciate it, Lsd. :-)
    gigabyte ep35-DS3L mobo
    evercool on northbridge,
    evga gtx260-(216)
    24" sammy 2443bwx
    OCZ eliteXstream 800w
    74gb Raptor

It will not fry your monitor at all, all it does is allow the SB more voltage to be used for the PCI bus

I always add +0.1 for any card just for the added stability, and with a higher rated card you may need more anyhow. I would test it out and see if that helps

You should keep init first display set to PEG

Duh...i just thought of that today...lol. The juice goes to the vcard, not the monitor, and i've been reading about the differences in pci-e1.1 and 2.0, and 1.1 provides 75watts through the slot whereas 2.0 provides 150w, which would explain why i never had this problem with my asus m2n32 deluxe sli board and my 2 g92's. with 2 pici-e 2.0 slots.

2.0 Doubles the bandwidth also, which i know is not a problem as only the 4870X2 is "rumoured" to getting close to saturating the 1.1 bus. When i switched out my monitor cords i forgot to unplug the electrical cord and try another, which i did last night. Today it slowly came to life, even after turning the monitor on first to let it warm up.

I am also in the middle of ocing my cpu, I'm doing it slowly cuz I'm new with intel, and being cautious. I am stable so far at 3.7ghz, 2 hours occt and a couple hours memtest. I will bumping the pci-e slot tonight, as i will only be able to tell when i turn on the pc for the 1st time of the day. I'll let you know tomorrow.

And yes, i set it to peg before when you told me, Thanks again. Man, you're all over the place here! :-) If there was a way to give you a point for your rep, i would!
    gigabyte ep35-DS3L mobo
    evercool on northbridge,
    evga gtx260-(216)
    24" sammy 2443bwx
    OCZ eliteXstream 800w
    74gb Raptor

Ya, some P35 boards do not even work at all with PCIE 2.0. Some do, just not well. This can be for various reasons including voltage and Chipset issues

Thanks for the Kind words, and keep up the tweaking!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information