Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-MA78GPM-DS2H CPU Temp and fan speed

Default GA-MA78GPM-DS2H CPU Temp and fan speed

Just installed AMD Athlon 4400+ dual core processor and Zalman 8700NT cooler to my GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, and i'm wondering about cpu temperature and cpu fan speed. Cpu temp rises quite easily over 40c, resulting cpu fan to run at high revs-> much noise. I attached thermal grease between cpu and cooler as adviced. Same processor and fan was earlier in GA-MA770-S3 motherboard, and there were no such problems. Cpu temperature stayed unden 40c even at high load and cooler runned much lower revs, in fact it was almost noiseless. Under bios cpu smartfan is set to PWM. Changed it to voltage, but it did not make any difference. Any ideas why there is such big difference between those motherboards?

Default Re: GA-MA78GPM-DS2H CPU Temp and fan speed

That processor is running with same clock and voltage in both motherboards? Did you applied the same thermal grease on both mounting?
    BTW, that liquid one furnished by Zalman is excellent.
    GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
    i5-4690K + Corsair H90
    Sapphire Radeon R7 240
    16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
    Corsair CX750M
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Quote Originally Posted by svcglobal View Post
    That processor is running with same clock and voltage in both motherboards? Did you applied the same thermal grease on both mounting?
    Yes, runs default clock and voltages (no overclokcing). You can actually hear that cooler fan changes speed almost all the time, it's go up/down, up/down even processor temperature remains same. Guess it's bug in bios or board may be defective. Thermal grease is Zalman STG1.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Maybe different voltages are being applied between the boards. This would especially be true if you are using Auto for the voltage setting.

Cool and Quiet enabled before and maybe not now? If you turn on System Smart fan control you can set the fan amounts and have them applied at startup, this likely differs from the other board as well and may have been internally done before.

Just giving you some more things to check out and possibly test out.

Don't connect the FanMate controller with SmartFan enabled and make sure that you have good air exchange in the case (cabinet).

Fanmate is not in use, and there should be enough ventilation in case (at front 8cm fan blowing in and at the back 12cm fan blowing out). I'm swapping cpu cooler to CoolerMaster Geminii S if it works any better.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Let us know how you get along, and you know you could have also just had a better mount last time around and not such a good one this time too.

Hmm, I would say that PWM feature on the board is just too sensivite. Now i have coolermaster installed. When Idling, cpu temperature keeps on 30-31, and under heavy load it goes just over 40. It's just even one degree change in temperature, and bios rises fan speed way too fast, if you ask my opinion. In GA-MA770-S3 there have to be bigger change in cpu temperature that fan starts blowing faster. Now there is only problem that Coolermaster won't fit to my HTPC even it is marketed as "low profile". Just wondering, is there "low profile" fans at market. Coolermaster uses standard 12x12x2.5cm fan but lower one maybe would fit to my case.

Ps. Just noticed, that if i select Smart Fan option as voltage, Fan speed is about 900-100rpm,when cpu temperature is about 30c. If i choose PWM, fan speed is between 1200-1300rpm at same temperature. Strange?
    Last edited by spacman; 11-06-2008 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spacman View Post
    Just installed AMD Athlon 4400+ dual core processor and Zalman 8700NT cooler to my GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, and i'm wondering about cpu temperature and cpu fan speed. Cpu temp rises quite easily over 40c, resulting cpu fan to run at high revs-> much noise. I attached thermal grease between cpu and cooler as adviced. Same processor and fan was earlier in GA-MA770-S3 motherboard, and there were no such problems. Cpu temperature stayed unden 40c even at high load and cooler runned much lower revs, in fact it was almost noiseless. Under bios cpu smartfan is set to PWM. Changed it to voltage, but it did not make any difference. Any ideas why there is such big difference between those motherboards?
    Hey spacman, I am having very similar issues/questions as you:

mobo: GA-MA78GPM-DS2H
    cpu: AMD Athlon X2 Processor 6000+
    fan: Zalman CNPS8700 LED.

I've been discussing my problem with the fan speed + noise over here:

Zalman not very quiet! How quiet can I go with a GA-MA78GPM-DS2H motherboard? - Australian Media Center Community

fyi I've got a Fan Mate 2 on order, plus I'm about to delve into the BIOS (this evening after kids have gone to bed) to see if any tweaks there might help.

So you've abandoned your Zalman cpu fan in favour of coolermaster? Has this worked for you?

Quote Originally Posted by itomic View Post
    So you've abandoned your Zalman cpu fan in favour of coolermaster? Has this worked for you?
    In fact i changed Coolermaster to Scythe Shuriken SCSK-1000 since it fits in to my htpc case. So far worked quite well. Under idle cpu temperature stays at 32-35c and fan speed under 1000 rpm, so it's very silent. Under heavy load cpu goes up to 47-48c and fan rpm is about 1800. It makes noise at that speed, but not at all annoying.

After i managed to break up locking spring from Zalman, i deciced not to buy any more Zalman cpu coolers... They may be good but installation is like hell on earth
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
    Shuriken SCSK-1000 cpu cooler, 2xTranscend 1gb DDR2 800Mhz
    Samsung S166 160gt, Nec ND-3520 DVD/RW
    Azurewave AD-CP300 DVB-C, Lycom DT-102 cardbus adapter
    Aerocool M40 Matx, Antec Neo 430w,
    Apacer AE161 cardreader
    Windows XP SP3

Thread Information