Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EP45-DS3R restart after splash screen

Default EP45-DS3R restart after splash screen - Boot Loop

Hello.. I have searched the forums quite extensively and I see others seem to be having the same problem I am having. Unfortunately I cant seem to find a fix.. Its seems as if others are finding that they can fix this with some bios settings but unfortunately I cant even get into the BIOS.. I press the power button, see the splash screen and then it reboots over and over.. I have everything disconnected except the power supply, the video card, the processor and one stick of ram(tried all slots).. I replaced the MOBO but the new one is doing the exact same thing. I am thinking maybe my RAM is the problem but I don't really want to buy new ram at this point unless I have to. Any help is much appreciated. Here is what I have:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
    GA-EP45-DS3R MOBO
    2 x 1GB Patriot PC2-5300 CL5 (667mhz) memory
    Antec True Power 430w PSU
    BFG Geforce 7800 GT OC PCIx
    Last edited by ammojoe; 10-27-2008 at 11:41 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EP45-DS3R restart after splash screen

I dont suppose you can tell, but with a E0 stepping on that CPU you may need F8 BIOS and the board Likely shipped to you with only F5-F7 possibly. >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - CPU Support List - GA-EP45-DS3R (rev. 1.0)

Bios Page >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP45-DS3R (rev. 1.0)

Do you have a older 775 CPU so you can flash the BIOS? Have you tried to clear the CMOS? That may help, if not you are going to need another CPU to test if this is the issue or if you maybe have a DOA CPU. Here is a few ways I have posted to clear the CMOS >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...01/index6.html

And In the Flash Guide >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

I think your ram would be ok, especially with only one stick installed. You could I suppose maybe borrow a stick from a buddy but I dont think this is the issue

Are you sure also that PSU Supports that card? I mean have you used it before together? If not, what is the 12V rail say on the PSU and what is the card manual say for power requirements?

Lsdmeasap,
    Thanks for the fast reply! I think your assessment is spot on. I do have a 775 processor but its a Pentium D 945 which is unfortunately unsupported on this MOBO.. However when I went in to the supported CPU list for the board to verify this, I saw that the Q9550 needs the F8 bios.. I cant really verify what bios this board has on it but I am going to have to assume it is older than F8.

I did try to clear the CMOS by both shorting the jumper and removing the battery (with the PSU disconnected) and it did'nt seem to help..

I have used the same video card and PSU in my other system for the last couple of years so I am sure they work together. I hope that is what you were asking.

I guess my only option is to return the whole lot. I dont know anyone that has a processor that falls within the supported CPU list. Would have really liked to see this combo work but I dont have the resources (or possibly the willingness) to upgrade the BIOS on this board.

Really appreciate the help! Regards

Something to note. It looks like the Q9550 processor I have is in fact the C1 Stepping. I found another forum where a guy explains that SLAWQ=C1 and SLB8V=E0.. I have the SLAWQ. Should I be concerned about this? I just bought it yesterday. With that said the supported CPU list shows I should be good with the F5 BIOS. Unfortunately I still have no way to tell what BIOS I have because I cant get this thing to even load the boot screen although it does seem to POST. Thanks again for the help.

Ya, still now way to see if you have F5 or above BIOS. Sometimes CPU's work even with unsupported BIOS's but you could have F1 or F2 for all we know? But from the looks of it, F5 is listed as the lowest for all so they should all ship with at least that, but since others under F5 were available before on the download page this may not be the case. Since most all CPU's are supported with F5, including your C1 you may have some other issue maybe with your ram? Do you have any other to test with or that you can borrow for a bit?

How long did you remove the battery and Short the CMOS pins? I would recommend you do that again and hold in the Power button for a minute or two and let the PC Sit with the Jumper on the CMOS pins and no battery for about 30-60 minutes and see if you can get it cleared or not

Ya, I was asking if you had used that GFX card and PSU before, so thanks we know that is part of the problem then

I would install the Pentium D, I see it is listed on the page as N/A, but it wont hurt you to try it out. It may work, but like you said likely not..

You got $40? If so you could always buy one of these and then return/sell it afterwards, but as we both know the Same F5 BIOS would be needed. >>>>
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...545&CatId=3638

Since you have RMA's the board already it may be your ram or some other issue we have not found yet. When you had the board replaced did they test it at all or just give you a new one?

You did try with NO hard drives or CD drives connected right, in your initial testing? I ask because sometimes a faulty drive can cause a NON boot as well. And have you tried with Bare minimum again (CPU/Heatsink, One stick of ram in slot one, GFX card and that is all) out of the case, off the tray on a box or wooden table to be sure you dont have a short somewhere?

Hi LSDMEASAP, Thanks again for the reply.. I too am wondering if it is some other issue. At one point. I removed the battery for well over two hours with the PSU unplugged too. Still no change. After posting last, I did try the pentium D but I got no video or POST but it just kept rebooting. I think I might try to exchange the processor tomorrow to see if that makes a difference.. Unfortunately I dont know of anyone that has ram I can barrow but I will ask around at work tomorrow. When I took the board back they just replaced it.. The Tech there said something about going into the BIOS and disabling an Ultra Ram?? feature for it to work but I told him I could not even get into the BIOS. Everything I have tried I have done with only the processor, 1 stick of ram and video card (and a ps2 keyboard of coarse). I had'nt tried pulling it from the case to confirm there wasnt a short until just now. That didnt change things either. Thanks for all of the ideas. I will let you know how it goes when I get a new processor. My next step after that will be to buy new ram I guess..

Ya, from your comment about what he said sounds like he used some ram that worked (800Mhz 1.8V) at the defaults and what he means is Performance enhance Is set to turbo by default, and that may not work with your ram at all.

So that may be the whole problem. So see if you can find some 800Mhz ram, all of it will post at 1.8V and then you should be able to get in and make changes and use your other ram after that

So you may want to buy some el cheapo DDR2-800 before you get a new CPU as that may be the whole issue. So try to borrow some at work or somewhere, All DDR2 800 will post with 1.8V (Board Default) so even if it is 2.1V ram you will be fine. I think maybe that slower ram you have may not be able to deal with the lower tRD setting that the Performance Enhance Set to Turbo (Default) uses could be the whole problem

LSDMEASAP,
    Thanks for the help. It turned out to be the RAM after all. I went out and got a 4GB Corsair DDR2-800mhz bundle and it booted up just fine. I really appreciate the help. At this point it looks like the RAM is set to 1.8 volts. Do you think I should now adjust it to the 2.1v as rated on the Corsair RAM? Also, the BIOS shows my processor (Q9550) at 2.66mhz not the rated 2.83mhz. I see I can adjust the fine multiplier by .5 to take it up to the rated 2.83mhz. See any problem with that? Thanks so much for the help. Almost got the OS loaded at this point!

Nice to see you found the issue. Ya, I would use 2.0 and if it fails memtest with loose settings use 2.1 and then tighten up your settings.

Your CPU comment makes me think you have not loaded optimized defaults yet. Please do this and then save and apply and your CPU will be properly picked up. After you save/apply/reboot go directly back to the BIOS as you will need to change your disk settings again and set all other settings as well again. Do not try to load windows if you are using RAID without doing this or you will corrupt your array if you do not set the disk settings back again

Or yes, you can just set the .5 multi..... But you should load optimized for sure and it will be picked up properly

Thread Information