Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: win xp repair install: used to load sata ahci driver

Default win xp repair install: used to load sata ahci driver

I installed a clean win xp professional OS on a new rig (quad processor), no issues. Then I did a Acronis recovery from a uniprocessor pc, and installed the correct mobo drivers. Still no issues. The I did a restart and a repair install to load the mobo sata and AHCI drivers. The pc restarts, but everytime I open a program from windows, for example Windows Explorer, or Software from the configuration screen, or Network Connections, I get a window with "Windows Installer", waiting for something to load.

The version of windows on my old pc is sp3, after the repair install (I used a win xp slipstreamed with sp2), I see sp2 on my info screen of computer properties.

What should/can I do to solve this Installer window?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: win xp repair install: used to load sata ahci driver

That doesn't sound like a very good way to do things. I really can't say for sure what FOR SURE will fix it. But first I would try to install SP3 and see if that fixes it.

There is other ways to load the AHCI driver, if you need help with that for next time let me know

In the end, you may just have to do a clean install of Either SP2 or SP3 XP

I believe the new drivers that Gigabyte have placed on their website (after the the introduction of ICHR10) are incorrect.

When you place the files on a floppy and boot from them, only the ICHR9 driver for Raid is available, not the correct desktop AHCH driver.

Few things to check, when you installed XP, did you have AHCI selected in your Bios or IDE? If you installed with IDE selected, you wont be able to revert to AHCI.

The same the other way round, if you installed with AHCI enabled, make sure in the bios you arent trying to boot using IDE.

I would go to Intels site and download the intel inf update utility, i believe this will update your AHCI driver to the latest version :) Good luck!

ICH9R AHCI drivers are included and correct in the ICH10R drivers. Just took this from my floppy driver >>>

You must scroll up to find the ICH9 AHCI Drivers. I explained here for some yesterday >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-x...67/#post265977

I think he just went about this all in the wrong way and messed up his windows install.

And yes the Inf package would fix AHCI drivers, but I still do not think that would fix his issue

Are you sure Lsdmeasap? Looks to me just the Raid driver is listed, not the AHCI Driver. (Compare it to ICHR10 where you have both R(Raid) and standard D(Desktop) drivers).

I remember having to re-install XP and this caused a very big problem. First time when i installed the driver, XP wouldnt boot telling me that there was an operating system error, then i tried again with the same drivers and received a BSOD just as you do when you install without AHCI drivers at all.

Eventually i used the ones on the CD (Where there were both Desktop and Raid ones listed), but as you also explained in your other post, getting them from intel would be best.

Yes, I am sure. Here is the one from Gigabyte Site, just downloaded right now to show you.

As said above, in more detail in the link, you must scroll up to choose SATA or RAID part of ICH9R as it is above 10, as well as 7 and 8 are also. As you can see the AHCI and RAID drivers are both included. >>>>

Whats the difference between the ICH10R R and D drivers listed?

ICH10R is for RAID/AHCI

And the ICH10D or DO is for the NON raid boards and other Revisions of the ICH10 Chip. And also refers to the LPC INTERFACE CONTROLLER interface for the NON "R" versions, which control certain PCI Devices and Other peripherals such as Firewire/USB for example. So both are included in all packages so that the bundle will work for any Intel based board and the drivers, if need, be will be installed when you choose your Driver to install

Those are also separate entries for different revisions of the Actual NB Chips >>>
    ICH10 Corporate Base (ICH10D)
    ICH10 Digital Office (ICH10DO)
    http://www.intel.com/assets/pdf/specupdate/319974.pdf

Again for anyone reading and not sure they are all there for sure in each download from either Gigabyte or Intel.

Gigabyte just repackages the Intel driver packs is all, nothing changed, added, or removed.

Waw!! Many thanks for this wealth of information. I am very impressed by all of your responses.

First of all, installing a repair with a sp2 cd over a sp3 installation indeed was a NO-GO. I am currently struggling a bit to get a working cd with sp3, and with the correct drivers installed, to work. I think by tomorrow I will have it ready (still have a household to run and a fulltime job besides lol).

I did find out that a sp2 or sp3 cd where there are old amd ahci drivers integrated on the cd DO give conflicts (BSOD) when trying to load a newer driver thru F6.

Currently I still have the ambition to do a restore with Acronis True Image from a uniprocessor pc w/o ahci to my new multiprocessor rig. This will be weekend work. I will for sure keep you all posted.

PS: and yes, my bios is set for AHCI :)
    Last edited by Brice3010; 10-30-2008 at 09:05 PM.
    Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H
    Corsair twinx DDR2 2048Mb pc8500 dominator 2x (setup in dual channel at 1066MHz, slots 3 and 4)
    AMD 9850 phenom BE
    Scythe-mugen cooler
    WD 150Gb velociraptor sata300
    Samsung 750Gb sata300
    Samsung 1000Gb sata300 x2
    Gigabyte GV-R4850 512Mb DDR3 x2 in crossfire
    Windows xp professional sp3
    home-networked with KT600 AMD2600+ and some laptops

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information