Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EP45-DS3 + OCZ REAPER 2X2GB DC Prob

Default Re: EP45-DS3 + OCZ REAPER 2X2GB DC Prob

Thank you for the quick response.
    I'll test the RAM.
    After that (if everything is OK, of course) I'll set MCH+RAM Voltages, PCI Express Frequency and tRFC as you suggested, then reboot.
    Then I'll set the MCH Frequency Latch to 400 and reboot.
    In the end i"ll set the timings and other stuff.

1) Do I need to disable the Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.)?
    2) If I goona get a red squer alert after setting voltages, do I need to continue or stop?

<strike>EDIT:
    See the attached! What does it means? DOA stick?
    3) Can a slot on the board be the reason (may slot be defective)?
    4) It is only the first stick in the first session. Does it sufficient to declare that this is a DOA stick?

I start to feel helpless.</strike>
    Attached Images Attached Images EP45-DS3 + OCZ REAPER 2X2GB DC Prob-dsc00095-jpg 
    Last edited by Ramsses_II; 10-31-2008 at 02:33 PM.

I figure out the problem!
    After almost 3 hours, 9 loops & 626 errors, I restarted and entered the bios. Then I set the Performance Enhance to [STANDARD] (I was an idiot and leave it on turbo). Now everything is fine.
    I'm gonna replace the sticks now. One is good, it is the other turn to be tested. I'll post here tomorrow if the RAM is OK, and then I'll start tweak.

See ya.

EDIT:
    The second stick passed 11 loops (3:43 hours), but had 87 errors on tests 7+5 (I dont now what other tests, becuase I wasn't able to scroll).
    Now I'm going to perform the test again on the first stick because I saw it passes without failing only 2 times in a row.
    Attached Images Attached Images EP45-DS3 + OCZ REAPER 2X2GB DC Prob-dsc00099-jpg 
    Last edited by Ramsses_II; 10-31-2008 at 10:22 AM.

As you can see, the first stick have no errors.
    Now I'll shut up and let you, experts, speak.
    Attached Images Attached Images EP45-DS3 + OCZ REAPER 2X2GB DC Prob-dsc00100-jpg 

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, disable XMP for per stick testing and manually set main timings, ram voltage and memory multi to what matches Ram stock speed.

When you see a red warning box in the BIOS that means all settings were not applied and stock settings are loaded (Not what you are seeing for settings in the BIOS) Just means you have something incorrect and it will not boot (Often CPU Voltage if you have A overclock, or too tight of a ram setting)

DOA means Dead On Arrival or Dying On Arrival (BAD Stick of ram)

Yes, you can have a bad slot, if you have a stick you know is good (Or both) and you think you have a bad slot then test all slots one by one with each stick. If one slot always fails then you have a bad slot

So one good stick and one bad? After you set Performance Enhance to standard, did you test both sticks at the same settings in the same slot? If so, looks like one stick is indeed bad

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yes, disable XMP for per stick testing and manually set main timings, ram voltage and memory multi to what matches Ram stock speed.

So one good stick and one bad? After you set Performance Enhance to standard, did you test both sticks at the same settings in the same slot? If so, looks like one stick is indeed bad
    I set Performance Enhance to standard and the rest was Auto. It was the same slot, but exept the Performance Enhance everything was Auto.
    Now I'll set as you said and have a look...

EDIT:
    It had errors as well with "Yes, disable XMP for per stick testing and manually set main timings, ram voltage and memory multi to what matches Ram stock speed." I tested the stick which didn't fail at Auto.
    What I neet to do? Give my computer to the store where I bought it (they are the authorized distributor of OCZ here)? They want almost 65$ for checking and fixing it (if it isn't my fault including the transportation to their store).
    What are you suggesting to do?
    =\

News flash:
    All of the testing were made on slot 1, channel A. I tried to boot my system from slot 3, channel A with the firs stick ("the good") without any luck. I chaned back to slot 1, and hocus-pocus, it boots.
    As you remember, the second stick had errors while the first stick had none. And as I mentioned at the first post (and deleted it...) I can boot almost normally while I'm using Dual Channel at channel B.

I'm starting to think that at the beginning I put the second stick at slot 3, and:
    1) One of them was DOA and affected the other.
    2) I am the responsibble (static electricity).

I'm of course tending to believe that the first is the correct because I handle with RAM all the time, and in my work too. But I am not rejecting the second because it can be true either.

I think I'll go to the store and pay 65$ and give this to it's end.
    If they will tell me I'm unfortunatly the responsible I gonna have to pay for new items.

Lsdmeasap, tell me please your opinion.
    I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your help so far!

Oz.
    Last edited by Ramsses_II; 11-01-2008 at 01:22 AM.

I doubt it was static, like you said I too handle ram all the time and have never had a issue due to that.

So you think you have one bad stick still then, or a bad slot/slots on the board? For $65 if you do think you have a bad set of ram (one stick would mean you would need both to be replaced) maybe you should just go get a new set of 2x1. It would cost you the same right? And you would not have to wait for them to test your PC.

However if you do think you may have a bad slot or two on the board you may want to take it in so they can see and replace your board for you.

Next time, Build your own for sure! You will save cash and not have to pay for testing

Tell them you always wear a anti-static wristband and they won't be able to blame that on you, DOA ram happens often with any brand so I doubt it was you

But how do you explain that I can't get my system work on channel A, but on channel B it works (not so stable at the beginning, but after a reboot it works fine). That means a slot issue.

But from the other hand, I tested the to sticks with the same settings, one passed and the other got errors. That means a RAM issue.

Can it be both of them?

EDIT:

It's a DOA slot (slot 3) for sure. It won't boot with the "good stick" and after I move the stick a slot and enter the bios I get the red alert that sais the settings was incorrect because of an overclock (and I didn't touch the settings exept Performance Enhanced to Standard).

I'll speake with the store tomorrow and see how it ends.
    I'll tell them that I also tested the 2nd stick with memtest and it got errors, so they need to check it too.

Can the bad slot effected the 2nd stick or the opposite?
    Last edited by Ramsses_II; 11-01-2008 at 06:23 PM.

Hmm, It could be both, stranger things happen everyday.

So you tested both thoughts there? Like you tested a known good stick in all 4 slots and found one or more to be bad?

And then you tested both sticks or the presumabley bad one in a known working slot and found it to be bad as well?

1) I tested stick A in slot 1 with memtest and found it good.
    2) I tested stick B in slot 1 with memtest and he got errors (8 errors for a pass on average).
    3) I put stick A in slot 3 and the system didn't boot (the fans and leds work, but no picture on screen).
    4) I put stick A in slots 2 and 4 and the system boots (didn't test it with memtest because I know slot 3 is defective, so why bother?).

Maybe stick B is good and only the board is defective, I don't know. I'll let the store find that out and I'll post here the results.

I did everything I can, but it wasn't enough.
    I want to thank you for your help and I learned a thing or two about the bios setting thanks to you.

Oz.

Ya, sounds like proper testing for sure. To me, sounds like a bad slot 3 and bad stick b as well.

Good luck with you RMA or store replacement. Please do link them here if they would like to see your testing documented and what I had to say if you think it will help you assure them of things

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information