Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-P35-DS3L overclocking issue

Default GA-P35-DS3L overclocking issue

I just put a new PC together and have had some trouble overclocking above 3.4 Ghz . I have a C2D e7200 (VID is 1.1750v) on a GA-P35-DS3L with a F8 Bios and G.Skill (2x2GB) DDR2 1000 PC 8000 RAM. G.Skill says that the ram should be run from 2.0 ~ 2.1v.

I am hoping to run the ram in a 1:1 ratio (i read that async heats up the NB and uses more voltage for little performance gain) but it seems that I'm hitting a wall with any Bus over 330 Mhz when trying to run 1:1 on a 9.5 multiplier.

So I decided to bring down the multiplier to 7.5 and seem to get 7.5 x 461 Mhz = 3.45 Ghz at 5-5-5-15 2T timings and it is stable. But I wonder if there is a better way.

Here are my settings that I would like to work, but run into problems ...

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9.5]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [380]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00] -- I'm aiming only for a 1:1 ratio
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 11
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 5
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 61
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 9
    Static tRead Value_______________ 10
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ Auto

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.4V] -- 2.1v
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal] -- Is it okay to raise this by +.1v?
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25] -- It doesn't go this high, usually 1.23 is the highest it goes in BIOS and CPUID Hardware monitor.

Can you please give me some better RAM timings to tryfor a more stable 3.6ghz and above overclock?

I was also hoping you could answer a few general questions...

1) When RAM is made to be run at 2.1v, does that mean it shouldn't go above 2.1v or does it mean that anything from 2.10v to 2.19v is safe?

2)In terms of system performance and voltages issues, is it better for me to use a lower mutliplier and higher FSB or higher multiplier and lower FSB?

3) If I run my e7200 on 1.25 ~ 1.30v will that reduce the lifespan of it?

4) I test by using the Small FFTs torture test in prime 95. I usually get the rounding error only on the 2nd core, while the other core just keeps going fine without a problem, could this be a defective chip?

Thanks for your time and efforts

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-P35-DS3L overclocking issue

What that voltage means is that is the warrantied amount. Some boards will need it to run full speed and some will not. Always best to set to the higher first so you can get stable and then try to lower. So 2.0 may work, but use 2.1 at first.

Higher FSB to a point, but really you would not want to use the lowest multi either. Normally you would want to run the highest multi, but if you do want a faster FSB you could use maybe 8 for the CPU multi

You will be fine as long as you keep the temps good and do not go over the actual spec voltage for the chip (Not set in BIOS, but actual applied voltage in windows). This range is 0.85V – 1.3625V >>>
    Intel® Core™2 Duo Desktop Processor E7200 - slapc

And yes, you will need to manually set that voltage, and will for sure need more then you are mentioning above likely.

Voltage is your Small FFT issue, not a bad chip. You need to manually set it, and find the stable voltage your chip needs at said speeds

Your table of settings and wanting to use 1:1 ratio (Which is Old news and not the best for sure anymore) leaves you running your ram at only 760. Did you notice that?

Here, try this for 3.6 >>>>

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9.0]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00] -- I'm aiming only for a 1:1 ratio 2.00x450=900 (See ram speed note below)
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 4/5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 4/5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______4/5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12/15

Since what I have above is less then 1000Mhz stock ram speed, you can likely use tighter main ram timings. Such as noted above like 444-12/15, or 455-12/15 or 544-12 and so on. If you do want a 1:1 at 1000Mhz ram speed you will need to use 500 FSB and the 7 multi for 3.5, more FSB and vcore would be needed to run that, and of course the 555-15/18 timings

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3-4 Or 9-11 Benchmark to see which is best last, doe s not affect stability so much in P35 boards

Set to all highest below first and then lower later one at a time testing with memtest86+ as you go (Must be newest 2.01 version for P35 boards) >>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-6
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52-62
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-5
    Static tRead Value_______________ 10-12
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ Auto << always leave

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.4V] -- 2.1v << +.3 should be 2.1 not +.4, check your PC health status page and adjust accordingly. Use 2.1V

PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal] -- Is it okay to raise this by +.1v? << Yeap, I always recommend that for stability, more maybe if you have a huge card
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V - +0.3V] << needed for stable 2x2GB or more of ram

CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25] << 1.301.35 actual. You will likely not need so much more the 1.3 actual but set high first so you can boot and then lower testing as you go. You do need to get your ram memtest86+ stable before you run Prime "Blend" tests, if you know that then ignore that comment. I would actually suggest you are sure your ram is memtest86+ stable for several hours before doing any CPU testing

I've updated my RAM timings and upped my voltage, and was able to boot succesfully into windows, thanks! I'll let you know how that goes after I'm done testing the new RAM settings in memtest86 2.01 overnight.

Do you think that 6 hours is enough time for memtest to verify that the RAM is stable? Would 10 hours be enough for the prime95 Small FFT torture test?

Oh, and in regards to the (G)MCH OverVoltage Control ___ +.3v only gave me around 2.08v when I put it to +.4v only then was I getting like 2.18v

I have a few more questions..

1) When running prime95 I like to load up firefox and browse the web, is it okay to do that, or should I just have everything closed and let prime95 run by itself?

2) Based on your reply, it seems I was incorrect thinking that 1:1 ratio would be the best option. I did notice my system was a bit more responsive and my e7200 didn't need as much voltage when I was running in asynchronous mode compared to 1:1. Can you suggest a few ratios/settings that I can try?

3) Coming from a Pentium 4, I used to think that the CPU(Tcase) temp was all that mattered, but I realize that with C2D's its all about the core(Tjunction) temps. I was a little disappointed when my e7200 was running at stock (2.53 Mhz) and the core temps would be at about 37c, I was hoping to have them in the high 20's or low 30's with air cooling (xigmatek S1283). But does that seem to be unrealistic when it comes to core temps for Wolfdales?

4) A few months back Intel finally released the Tjunction Max temps for the C2D chips which is 100c. Do you have a preference for Realtemp or Coretemp? Or would it not matter as long as I set the Tj Max to 100c?

Thanks again, it seems like I'm inching closer and closer to a stable OC!
    Last edited by technx; 10-30-2008 at 12:26 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes and yes to both of your Test/torture tests. Once you get them both stable, Run Prime Blend for 8 hours or so if you like

MCH Voltage control, this does not change the settings you are mentioning. That changes the Northbridge voltage and not the ram voltage which you mention

Yeah you can browse while you test, just dont game or anything like that

1:1 is not necessarily the best at all anymore, Faster FSB and ram speed will win usually.

What speed suggestions do you want? You could use 2.40 if you like for 960 speed

Ya, Core temps are a bit high for idle, but only load counts! RealTemp MUST Be configured for your CPU and System >>>
    Real Temp - Documentation

They are both good and I use both often, RealTemp more though I suppose as it is more accurate and user configurable. They both should pickup the correct tjmax as long as you have the newest versions though.

Thread Information