Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help Overclocking E8400 + GA-EP45-DS3R

Default Re: Need Help Overclocking E8400 + GA-EP45-DS3R

I hope I'm not displaying bad form by jumping on this thread, but I have the same motherboard and CPU, and I have been reading the guides and help offered by LSDmeASAP, and I think I'm getting closer to my goal, but I have a couple of questions.

Is there any rule of thumb for setting CPU Termination, CPU PLL and CPU ref relative to the set (or observed) Vcore? Same question for the settings in MCH/ICH.

I am running 2x2 G.skill ddr2 800Hz memory (2.1V 4-4-4-12 timings) in dual channel. I'd like to get to 3.8 GHz, but I allegedly built this computer "for my wife", and she'd kill me if I burned anything, so I'm trying to stay around 1.3V for Vcore, and 1.28V for MCH.

3.6 was easy, and puts me at my (overly?) safe core temp limit of 50 Cunder load (Prime95 small FFTs; AC Freezer Pro 7), but I can't get much past it without losing stability. How much voltage (measured, not BIOS) should 3.8 GHz take for the CPU, and what are the safe ranges of voltage for the P45? I have a 50mm fan stuck to the heat sink of the north bridge (with Gorilla glue of all things).

This is my first build, and I am having a lot of fun playing in the BIOS (F10). I owe a lot to you already LSDmeASAP. Hope I'm not being rude by posting on this thread.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Vtt may only be needed at High FSB. Auto will often work at 450 or less, but sometimes not it just depends on the chip I suppose. Rule is do not exceeed 1.4 for 45nm, so keep under 1.36 I say

IS that 1.3 actual or set in the BIOS cpu voltage? Do you run stock fan? CPU voltage is per chip, all chips are different so there is no normal. Safe ranges is 1.36, 1.4 max on air actual voltage (Not BIOS setting) You may need 1.32 or so actual for 3.8+

Thanks! The 1.3V Vcore is actual...I have a Vdrop close to 0.05, and Vdroop is almost double that. My CPU is air cooled with an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7, and airflow in the case is pretty good with a 120 mm in the front plus 2 40 mm fans in each of 3 drive bays, a slot fan next to my Gigabyte GE8600GT (passive cooled) and a 120mm pulling air out the back from the Freezer Pro 7. I also have an 80mm fan blowing air out the side, and a 40mm fan on the south bridge and a 50 mm fan on the north bridge.

What are the safe voltage ranges for the P45 MCH? I have it at 1.18V for 3.6, and have had it as high as 1.3V, but going above 1.26 makes me nervous because I have no idea what the max recommendation is. The Intel spec sheet suggests 1.21V as a mas, but it says with respect to Vss, and I'm not sure what that means.

I would say keep MCH under 1.4-1.45 as a max without the chipset being cooled with water or better. Max of 1.25-1.3 should be good for 400-500 FSB, above 500 FSB you may need a bit more. Default voltage will work for under 400

Your are right though about the spec sheet it does saying 1.21 (this is a Max design spec though, so that cheap boards do not overvolt it very far), similarly with P35 with a max of 1.3x most used up to 1.5-1.55 max on air above spec without issue. Vss means ground in that sheet (incase anyone wants it) >>>http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/319970.pdf

I found this for you, which seems to agree with me >>>
    Intel P45 desktop chipset | Register Hardware

The value you need will also depend on ram installed and ram settings, so as you imagine you just have to find what works for you

Thanks a bunch! Now I can "play safe"!

The most important info in the link turned out to be that for the P45 chip, the common practice of bumping MCHcore a little for stability is a bad idea! The article hinted that adding voltage to the north bridge actually can have destabilizing effects. Sure enough, I went back to 1.1V on the north bridge, and went for 3.8 with (G)MCH latch at 400, and all the memory timings loose. I'm currently at 10 minutes Prime95 small FFTS (as I write). 1.3625 and 1.36875 in the BIOS both registered as 1.31V (Hardware Monitor, CPU-z and Speedfan) Vcore, and 1.375V (BIOS) jumped me to 1.33V actual. It might not be stable yet, but I the fact that I'm posting (and so is my machine) means I'm close. I'm at (a little above) my target voltage, so if I have some stability issues, I'll start moving MCH core up again, and perhaps mess with the skew. Then it is time to tighten the timings again.

Thanks again LSDmeASAP...your many posts and guides got me to 3.6 (hours of memtest and Prime95 stability), and your response has got me to where I want to be. Your guide on memory timings and Memset should be invaluable in tightening up once I get stable. The generous donation of your time is much appreciated.
    Last edited by Edisto; 11-06-2008 at 11:11 PM. Reason: correct typo

Nice to hear it, I am going to have to test that when I get some time!

Thanks as well for your kind words! Happy overclocking!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information