Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R or GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R?

Question GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R or GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R?

Hi. I plan to build a computer, I decided on most of the parts but I couldn't decide on which board to choose. According to the forums and some reviews most of the users having problems with the p45 chipset mainboards. All of the mainboards are Rev.1 and it seems most of them are problematic including other brands as well. So should I buy a stable but old card or a problematic "new" card? I won't use crossfire, what I need is to make use of intel matrix raid and this is supported with p35 (?) And plan to use it with a mild overclock with a Q6600 cpu (2400@2800 maybe). Here is the system I plan to build if it makes you help me out! :)

Q6600 C2Quad (my first choice was Phenom 9950 but there is no solid sb750 chipset mainboard out there)
    Gigabyte mainboard??
    SCYTHE ZIPANG cpu cooler
    HIS ATI HD 4850 IceQ 4 TURBO
    OCZ REAPER 4 GB 1066 MHz CL5 HEAT-PİPE DDR2 KİT (2x2GB)
    2xSEAGATE 500 GB 7200 RPM 32MB CACHE NCQ SATA2 HDD ST3500320AS

P.S.:I know this will be an "old" system but I don't want to wait for nehalem or new amd platforms, 'cause these new platforms won't be affordable till next summer I guess.
    Last edited by australis; 11-01-2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: corrected a word

Default Re: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R or GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R?

I'm certainly no expert but I just built this system and it has been running flawlessly since day 1.

Antec P182 case with Antec True Power 850w
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R
    Intel E8400 running at 3.61Gz
    Mushkin 4GB PC9500
    640 and 500GB 7200 16Mb drives
    ATI 4870 1Gb video

I used LSDMEASUP'S setup and followed his advice on using Mushkin RAM, and this box smokes anything I throw at it. I am even running the OEM Intel cooler so far, though I will be switching that out soon..
    Last edited by GaryR; 11-01-2008 at 10:14 PM.

Well after reading a lot about p45s I'm not sure about them. Well I think p35s are stable but who guarantees it? Some say p35c's are also problematic. So I'm stuck.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

P45 BIOS is far more advanced then P35, that is the ONLY reason you see more issues about P45 help. That and not many users are buying P35 anymore, so it is all P45 Posts now.

P45 works great, rev 1 is not a issue really. Sure things will likely get improved a bit when Rev 2 boards come around, but as for now most all issues people have are with getting the far more advanced BIOS setup properly.

Intel Matrix RAID can be used on either board, but be sure you get one that has a Northbridge with a letter R on it. Like in P35 this is ICH9R, and P45 it is ICH10R. The ICH9/10 without the R does not use the matrix RAID software

Like P35-DS3R or P45-DS3R, or any of the higher valued boards such as DS4 and DQ6 also have the RAID Chipsets

So, I would say based on your question it is really up to you and what you feel you can handle BIOS-wise. If you are not sure about BIOS or don't have time to play around alot then P35 may be better off for you. Ram Computability is also a huge thing to keep in mind, and as said above my Top Suggestion for ease of use is Mushkin

Question Re: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R or GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R?

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll reconsider p45 again. By the way nehalem is being launched on 16Th of this month. Do think that there will be a price cut for the "old" intel cpus in a month? Should I wait a few weeks? As for the memory, should I choose "MUSHKIN XTREME PERFORMANCE 4GB DDR2-1066 DUAL KIT (2x2GB) – 996599" over "OCZ REAPER 4 GB 1066 MHz CL5 HEAT-PİPE DDR2 KİT (2x2GB) - OCZ2RPR10664GK"? (same priced) Thanks again for your help.

I sure hope so about the price drop! I want to get me a Xeon X3350, although I do see some on Amazon that are $100 less then everywhere else new right now

Ya, I would choose the Mushkins if it was me

According to the news of price cut, there'll be 10$ off for Q6600 :) And I'll go with the mushkins even though the brand is not in the list of gigabyte's memory compatibility. Btw you were the only one here who kindly replied me, thank you Lsdmeasap ;) (never tried lsd ahah)

New price cut? Where do you see this info at?

Ya, Mushkin is for sure compatible!

Thanks for your kind words, and go ahead and try you some when you see it

Many sites on this. Here is one of them about price cuts.
    HEXUS.net - News :: Intel preparing pre-Nehalem price cuts for Core 2 chips : Page - 1/1

Ohh I forgot to ask. In the mainboard's compatibility list there is an abbreviaton SS/DS (I guess it's for single sided and double sided) for dual channel ability. How can I know that my mushkin rams are ds or ss? Btw they are not listed at all! Will I be able to use them at dual channel mode? Sorry for that much questions! :)
    Last edited by australis; 11-04-2008 at 05:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information