Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 1st new build, recomendations please

Default 1st new build, recomendations please

Hi guy`s, I`m a newbie here and I`d like a few recomendations for my first PC build.

I have a few parts already and I`m looking for some advice for the the rest of the build

I have a EP45-DS3L which was on offer, cheaper than the EP35C-DS3R that I was looking at, but didn`t realise how much different the bios was so now I`m so glad I found this forum.

This is going in a NZXT hush case with a Coolermaster iGreen 600W PSU.

CPU wiil probably be a Intel E8500 but I may go for a Q6600 depending on price.
    CPU cooler will be Thermalright 120 extreme, but which fan?
    HDD will be a Samsung spinpoint F1 500 GB
    OS will be XP home SP3

Memory is undecided but Mushkin seem`s to be the choice for Gigabyte boards but it`s not easy to come by here in the UK
    , but I have seen some 2GB HP2-6400 996576 at a reasonable price. Is it any good and why is Mushkin favoured for Gigabyte boards? As for shipping from the USA, postage alone costs about the same as a 1GB stick so it`s not worth it.

Undecided on a graphics card too but I`m not into the latest games it`s no big deal.

Can`t think of anything else at the moment so any recomendations would be welcome

Thanks in advance

Default Re: 1st new build, recomendations please

If you are going to overclock the 6600 this is a nice quiet fan that moves a lot of air - just make sure you can pull as much air out of the case! :)

ENERMAX UC-MA12 120mm Case Fan

Scythe makes some nice quiet case fans too. Any of them will clip on the Thermalright 120 Extreme
    GA-EP45-DQ6, Q6700 @ 3.33ghz, 8GB G.Skill DDR2 PC 8800, Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme, Gigabyte Poseyden case, Geforce 7300GS, WD 1TB Caviar Black, SG 250 Barracuda, Raid 5 with 3 SG 250 Barracudas on ICH10R, Raid0 with 2 WD 640 Caviar Black on 3Ware 9650SE 4LPML, LG Bluray DVD R/RW, Corsair HX620W

in general, A fast dual core is usually faster than a low clock speed quad core processor, unless u wana use applications which require quad cores.

Since u dun decide to play games, then try not to use onboard graphics just in case u wana get into games. try to aim for at least an ATI HD46xx series or if ur budget can extend go for a HD48xx series.

As for the HDD 500GB sounds fine, 1TB drives seem very affordable nowadays, same goes for 750GB.
    Asrock P55-Extreme
    Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
    2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    ASUS HD5850
    1TB Samsung SATA II
    Corsair TX650W PSU

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Those Mushkin HP's you mention would be great. I often suggest them because of their great compatibility and flexibility

G.Skills (Models Ending in K are best, Q Second best) and GeIL work great as well.

And I am currently testing Crucial 2x2 and 4x1 without any issues on a P45. So I think those are fine as well for P45. Please do note, I am testing only the newer 2.0V rated modules, the older 2.2V ones are the ones that always presented issues and it was mainly in P35 boards.

Here are the exact Modules of Crucial I am testing right now just incase you can get those easier then the Mushkins. >>>

1GB Sticks
    BL12864AA80A - 1GB, Ballistix 240-pin DIMM , DDR2 PC2-6400 from Crucial.com

2GB Sticks
    BL25664AA80A - 2GB, Ballistix 240-pin DIMM , DDR2 PC2-6400 from Crucial.com

But I do think Mushkin's are Great!

Why don't you try the Core Contact Freezer?
    It's cheaper and runs the same as the Ultra 120

These Mushkins seem to be nice
    mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 4-4-4-12

I agree, those are the Mushkins I use. They will do 443-10 @ 1T 800Mhz and also will do 1100 and above

Thanks for the replies guys, don`t really need 4GB ram as I`m sticking with XP and those Mushkin 996580`s look nice but are twice the price of the 996576`s and as only 3 or maybe 3.5GB would be recognised I`ll go with the 996576`s.

Any particular reason why Mushkin`s seem more comatable with Gigabyte boards?

I`ll also have a look at the contact freezer CPU cooler as an alternative to the Thermalright.

As for the graphics cards, I`ll have a look at those ATi cards too.

Thanks again, and I`ll be asking more questions nearer the time when I`ve most of the components.

Those are great as well since you only want 2x1, have a set of them sitting on my desk

Good luck in deciding on everything else. I always go Sapphire for GFX card, but I dont game so dont take my advice on that one really

Right, nearly there now only got a graphics card to get so I`ll list evrything else that I`ve got.

Gigabyte EP45 DS3L
    Intel Q6600 go stepping CPU
    OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU cooler
    Mushkin HP2 8500 2x 1Gb
    Samsung spinpoint F1 500 Gb HDD
    Samsung sata optical drive
    Gigabyte HD4850 1Gb graphics card (GV-R485MC-1GH)
    Asaka internal card reader
    Coolermaster igreen 600w PSU
    NZXT Hush case
    and also a Zigmatek crossbow for the CPU cooler

I plan to start building early January so has anyone got some suggested stock settings so I can get it running stable before I go for some mild (3Ghz) overclocking.

I aslo need to create a slipstreamed XP sp3 disc with My sata drivers on first as I don`t plan on using a floppy drive.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks again, Gav
    Last edited by MrGav; 01-28-2009 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Adding graphics card

Got my PC built and up and running last weekend and so far things are going better than expected.

Everythings set at default at the moment while I have been doing some test`s at stock settings just to make sure everythings OK.

I ran memtest for two hours and and no errors shown and then ran prime 95 blend test for two hours and passed and then ran it for four hours and passed.
    I tried Intel burn test and it failed after a few seconds saying ram or cpu unstable so I ran it again and got the same result.
    I ran prime 95 again for seven hours and it passed every test so I don`t know why it failed on the intel burn test.

memory voltage is set at 1.8(default) so I going to manually set it to 2.1 and then try again tonight with intel burn test and OCCT.

One thing I did notice is the temps in Coretemp were showing core 1 running 2-3 degreees more than core 2 and cores 3&4 running about 1 degree less than 2. Is this normal and is 61 degrees OK while testing in prime 95, it varied between 56 and 61 but did get to 63 occasionally.

Thread Information