Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One Ethernet not working. How do I fix it?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: One Ethernet not working. How do I fix it?

You may have to RMA? Let us know what their reply about that says

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    You may have to RMA? Let us know what their reply about that says
    So there is no other option available to fix it?

Who do I need to contact about an RMA? By telephone or email? What numbers/email address? I cannot find anything on the Gigabyte website.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Intel Q9450 2.66GHz 8 x 333, 8 x 438 (3.5GHz when overclocked) 1.35V with Intel Power saving enabled
    Windows XP Pro SP2 32 bit
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Gigabyte GV-RX385512H HD3850 512MB
    Western Digital WD5000ABYS 500GB SATA hard drive
    Western Digital WD5000YS 500GB SATA hard drive - disconnected
    Seagate 250GB SATA hard drive
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB
    BenQ 1640 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    NEC 3520 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    Pinnacle Dual DVB-T PCI Tuner
    Mystique Dual PCI-e DVB-S2
    mCubed T Balancer Fan controller controlling 6 case fans and CPU fan - CPU fan recently changed after system freezing started with new higher speed CPU fan.
    minifan blowing through northbridge

I cannot think of anything you could do really. Sorry, I really do not know how to get this fixed for you without being there to check it all out myself

Well if you just got the board not long ago you may be able to RMA where you bought it. If not here is Gigabyte.s RMA page and support page >>>

RMA
    RMA

Email Support
    GIGABYTE - Support - Technical Service Zone

Other methods (Phone, regional support, ect ) >>>
    GIGABYTE

I cannot think of anything you could do really. Sorry, I really do not know how to get this fixed for you without being there to check it all out myself

Well if you just got the board not long ago you may be able to RMA where you bought it. If not here is Gigabyte.s RMA page and support page >>>

RMA
    RMA

Email Support
    GIGABYTE - Support - Technical Service Zone

Other methods (Phone, regional support, ect ) >>>
    GIGABYTE
    I had hoped that a RMA was avoidable as I don't want to be without the PC for what would probably be quite a while and not knowing what I would get back. It seems a bit of a gamble.

I did contact Gigabyte email support but all they have recommended so far is the same as you have.

The RMA page you gave me is for USA RMA's, I am in the UK so it's no use and I cannot find any reference to RMA on the UK site.

I will try phoning them and see if it gets more results as the email support is very slow.

[Edit] I have completed a brand new installation and I will say I am pretty pissed off. The ethernet has the exact same problem, error code 10. I tried changing the cables to the ethernet port just in case, but it has made no difference. I have tried connecting it to my router with a new cable and it does not work.

So the 8a Bios has killed my ethernet.
    Last edited by RedDwarf; 11-06-2008 at 06:30 AM.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Intel Q9450 2.66GHz 8 x 333, 8 x 438 (3.5GHz when overclocked) 1.35V with Intel Power saving enabled
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB
    mCubed T Balancer Fan controller controlling 6 case fans and CPU fan - CPU fan recently changed after system freezing started with new higher speed CPU fan.

You can input your country on that page. As for a UK Specific one you would have to ask them in a email. It may have to be setup with the store you bought it from

You may just have to call and ask >>>

U.K.
    GBT Tech. CO., Ltd.
    ‧ TEL: +44-1908-362700

Give me the UK link you are using and I will see if I can find you the RMA page there

Have you tried a Clear CMOS and got it fully and properly cleared (You will get a Black screen with Checksum error) then loaded optimized defaults?

You can input your country on that page. As for a UK Specific one you would have to ask them in a email. It may have to be setup with the store you bought it from

You may just have to call and ask >>>

U.K.
    GBT Tech. CO., Ltd.
    ‧ TEL: +44-1908-362700

Give me the UK link you are using and I will see if I can find you the RMA page there

Have you tried a Clear CMOS and got it fully and properly cleared (You will get a Black screen with Checksum error) then loaded optimized defaults?
    I think I used the Taiwan site as the UK site does not exist any longer. All links are invalid on the UK domains.

I have cleared it using the Bios flash method/switch and also by taking out the battery and using a jumper. I did load optimized defaults and also tried failsafe defaults.

A brand new windows install, which I only did last night, with only the Intel drivers and ethernet drivers installed shows the same problem. My current windows install shows the same problem and so does another windows install and nothing had been altered on that.

I did flash to f7 Bios just to see if it made a difference but the only difference it made were system reboots on a none overclocked system as well. Windows is set not to automatically reboot on error so that is certainly not the cause. Back with 6b after that and everything is stable again.

In windows it shows the first ethernet as having the problem but in the Bios Smart test it can be identified as Lan #2.

After the change of cables and Bios flash the Smart Lan tests show Lan #1 as working and detecting my router@100Mbps link speed, with a cable length of less than 10M. The ethernet with trouble, Lan #2 with a 2 Meter belkin cable not plugged into anything except the other ethernet port shows:

Port 1-2 status open / length=2M
    Port 3-6 status open / length=2M
    Port 4-5 status open / length=2M
    Port 7-8 status open / length=2M

which is better than it was doing with the 8a Bios as with that it showed nothing.

But even a brand new windows install with absolutely nothing installed except for chipset and ethernet drivers, still will not get the ethernet working. So I think that the 8a Bios has changed something that is not affected by any other Bios. So I think that the 8a Bios should be removed as there has to be a fault with it as everything worked fine before flashing with that.

I sent a reply to the support email yesterday and have not received a reply today so they don't want to know.

I have spoken by phone to someone at technical support and he suggested that I check the MAC addresses in the Bios. Pressing F9 while in the Bios shows the Bios information page and MAC addresses. That shows as I suspected, that the one ethernet port MAC address has been corrupted by the Bios flash and it does not match the MAC address on the sticker on my ethernet port. The Bios shows FFEF7EDFEFFB which is clearly wrong and nothing like the correct value.

That is the same problem I had with the nForce 2 chipset a long time ago. The only thing that remains is to reset the MAC address to it's correct value. I am waiting for the email support to reply. The person I spoke to on the phone told me that the email was held up while they looked into the problem. So I am just waiting for the email so I can get directions on how the MAC address can be reset to it's correct value.

Another question is why the F7 Bios was causing my system to reboot last night. Flashing to 6b stopped it. I am now using the 8a Bios again after the person on the phone asked me to reflash and check the MAC address after returning to the 8a Bios. It did not change it.
    Last edited by RedDwarf; 11-07-2008 at 02:31 AM.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB

Hmmm... Well at least you know for sure what it is now. As you suspected!

F7 likely was causing you reboots because you did not setup the BIOS for your ram maybe? All BIOS's are different as you know, and may need different settings. Auto generally will not work at all for 2x2, and voltage adjustments are also normally needed

You can try this to see if it will read your MAC address, if so it may let you change it. I know it is not for Gigabyte, but I can use it in Vware so I thought it may be worth a shot for ya to try out >>>
    ASRock Motherboard - Support - MAC Tool Download

More info >>>
    AnandTech - Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2
    Adhoc-Wifi Error 80410702 - MaxConsole Forums

There is also a Windows Based method here that may be of use to you >>>

Go to Start->Settings->Control Panel and double click on Network and Dial-up Connections.

Right click on the NIC you want to change the MAC address and click on properties.

Under “General” tab, click on the “Configure” button

Click on “Advanced” tab

Under “Property section”, you should see an item called “Network Address” or "Locally Administered Address", click on it.

On the right side, under “Value”, type in the New MAC address you want to assign to your NIC. Usually this value is entered without the “-“ between the MAC address numbers.

Goto command prompt and type in “ipconfig /all” or “net config rdr” to verify the changes. If successful, reboot your systems.
    MAC address not the same after "repair" - Networking

I will go enable my Onboard LAN's and see if this windows suggestion above is even possible on my system. Ill post back and let you know what I find out

*EDIT*

I can set one in my system >>>

But this method may be only software side?

I also found you this, but I think this is for sure software side only >>>>
    http://www.codeproject.com/KB/applic...select=1722097

Still looking for a DOS based MAC writing tool like that Asrock one incase maybe that wont work, but would if it was not orientated towards Asrock. Since I know that tools works firmware side there MUST be others. Hopefully if I cannot find you one Gigabyte will send you something

I do see Hiren's BootCD has a App called Aida that will allow you to change MAC Address in DOS. I will go run this now and see what it is as I have never used that tool but have used the CD.

I do know you would need a IDE disk installed in your system as it will not work with SATA
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 11-07-2008 at 01:56 PM.

Hey, I found you this flash method! I think this may work with the DOS flash tools provided by Gigabyte. It has /switches to flash in a certain MAC Address. So I think that is just what you need >>>

nVidia Network device/firewire and bios flash

nVidia Network and Firewire/1394 Bios Repair Tutorial

Hmmm... Well at least you know for sure what it is now. As you suspected!

F7 likely was causing you reboots because you did not setup the BIOS for your ram maybe? All BIOS's are different as you know, and may need different settings. Auto generally will not work at all for 2x2, and voltage adjustments are also normally needed

You can try this to see if it will read your MAC address, if so it may let you change it. I know it is not for Gigabyte, but I can use it in Vware so I thought it may be worth a shot for ya to try out >>>
    ASRock Motherboard - Support - MAC Tool Download

More info >>>
    AnandTech - Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2
    Adhoc-Wifi Error 80410702 - MaxConsole Forums
    I didn't like the look of that as it did not seem to have any method to specify a particular ethernet port.

There is also a Windows Based method here that may be of use to you >>>

MAC address not the same after "repair" - Networking

I will go enable my Onboard LAN's and see if this windows suggestion above is even possible on my system. Ill post back and let you know what I find out

*EDIT*

I can set one in my system >>>

But this method may be only software side?

I also found you this, but I think this is for sure software side only >>>>
    CodeProject: MAC Address Changer for Windows XP/2003. Free source code and programming help
    I tried that but it did not do anything, it kept rejecting the settings because the ethernet connection was not already working.

Still looking for a DOS based MAC writing tool like that Asrock one incase maybe that wont work, but would if it was not orientated towards Asrock. Since I know that tools works firmware side there MUST be others. Hopefully if I cannot find you one Gigabyte will send you something
    Gigabyte should make a simple command line utility to change the MAC addresses like is available from other motherboard makers. It only needs to be simple as it would rarely be required. The way things are, if the motherboard is not still in warranty then getting it fixed could be a problem which is not an idea I like.

I do see Hiren's BootCD has a App called Aida that will allow you to change MAC Address in DOS. I will go run this now and see what it is as I have never used that tool but have used the CD.

I do know you would need a IDE disk installed in your system as it will not work with SATA
    I have a Hirens BootCD somewhere, I will have to find it out.

Hey, I found you this flash method! I think this may work with the DOS flash tools provided by Gigabyte. It has /switches to flash in a certain MAC Address. So I think that is just what you need >>>

nVidia Network device/firewire and bios flash

nVidia Network and Firewire/1394 Bios Repair Tutorial
    Yes, that is where I got the instructions for rescuing my nVidia ethernet after a flash invalidated the MAC address. But I doubt it would work with a Realtek ethernet and a Gigabyte motherboard.

I got so annoyed with all the wasted CPU time early this morning that I decided to get rid of the 8a Bios and not use another until the problems are fixed.

So I went back to 6b as that is the latest Bios without DES Advanced and the wasted CPU time.

I did not check whether the wasted CPU time was only active while it was enabled as I did install DES Advanced after I first installed F7 a long time ago and enable it. But I doubt that it would still be active after flashing the Bios and clearing the CMOS as it does seem to start disabled, at least it was after flashing to the first DES Advanced bios.

Anyway, I went to flash the Bios yet again and the flash seemed to go okay, Qflash said everything was okay but after rebooting I got a message saying that there was a Bios checksum error and it proceeded to revert to the 2nd Bios, copying it to the main Bios chip. I ended up with F5 bios as that must of been in the backup as it was when I first received the motherboard.

So I had to flash it to f6b again, md5 checking the bioses on my fat32 hard drive to be sure there was not corruption, which there was not. So I don't know why that bios flash failed to work properly.

After I flashed to Fb6 and setup the Bios again and went into windows I was presented with something which was a complete surprise.

I noticed that there was a cross on the ethernet connection in my system tray and I thought...oh no what has gone wrong now? But after checking, it was the ethernet which had not been working which did not even show in the tray previously. Device manager showed a working ethernet without the exclamation mark. I rebooted to check the MAC addresses in the bios to check that it had been reset.

It had!! The MAC address on both ethernets were as they were meant to be.

So after a fluke and failed bios flash for some reason it must of reset the MAC address.

So I am glad to say that it is now fixed.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB

Do your flashing with only one stick of ram in and optimized defaults already applied with that stick. Meaning put in one stick, and then load and apply optimized. Then reboot and go into Qflash and do it.

You should always get the CMOS Checksum error screen if you enable DMI to be cleared, or clear CMOS as you flash. But not the revert to second BIOS though.

But.. Nice to see you got it fixed after all that!

Funny how things work sometimes! Glad you got it and did not have to RMA! Nice to hear!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information