Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: One Ethernet not working. How do I fix it?

Default Re: One Ethernet not working. How do I fix it?

A bit of a late reply but I have been busy and a previous attempt at replying was lost by this forum due to adding bit by bit over a few days and despite my browser keeping the text despite shutdowns etc, this forum lost the text when I posted it.

It was very fortunate but not the way I would of preferred it. Gigabyte online support said that they tried flashing from F7 to F8a and back without problems, even though that was not what I used which created the problem. The reply told me to RMA the board as they said they would not make a simple command line utility to change/restore the MAC address even though Gigabyte telephone support did suggest that they would. So if anyone else plans on flashing their Bios, they better make sure they still have a motherboard which is under warranty in case any of their MAC addresses get messed up.

So everyone be warned, if a Gigabyte Bios wrecks your MAC address then you better hope it happens while your motherboard is under guarantee or you will have to either pay for it to be fixed (quite expensively when including delivery) or get a new motherboard. So Gigabyte support is very lacking and I pity anyone who plans on keeping their motherboard for anything longer than the warranty period. With nForce 2 chipsets such a problem is not a problem as the MAC address can be re-programmed fairly easily as I have had to do before. I still have an nForce 2 chipset motherboard which I use on a fairly regular basis so not everyone throws out their motherboards on a yearly basis.

This is no reflection on the support which has been provided by Lsdmeasap as Lsdmeasap has gone to great lengths to help me fix it and for that I am very thankful, but unfortunately the people who could really of made the difference simply didn't help at all.

On a more positive note, I got so fed up with the high CPU usage on that F8a Bios that I was ready to go back to F6b even knowing the bugs in it as wasted CPU time is no good to me. So I decided to try F7 and disable the DES advanced by installing that software again. But I did not have to install the software as the CPU usage after flashing was very normal and did not have 20% wasted CPU usage by hardware interrupts. This is very different to all previous trials of the newer DES Advanced Bioses such as F7 and F8a which I have tried multiple times and on every occasion they exhibited high CPU usage on multiple Windows installs, one of which was a brand new install.

Even after installing DES Advanced, the CPU usage was okay but it has been checked that it was disabled and then uninstalled before re-installing the regular buggy DES software. So that is what I am using, the F7 Bios with DES software.

I did attempt an overclock which failed and on rebooting, the Bios yet again was corrupted showing a Bios checksum error and recovery to the F5 2nd Bios. Which is worrying on how fragile these Gigabyte motherboards are.

But all is okay, for the moment. I better just cross my fingers in future and hope my luck holds up.

The message from Gigabyte online support>
    Code:
    1. We had validated that flashed from F7 to F8a (/or F8a to F7 BIOS), it does not change MAC address value, please refer to attached files. We suggest contacting your vendor checking or RMA.

2. Standby (S3 mode), BIOS and Windows settings are defaults and system doesn’t keep waking up in 10 minutes if you’re doing nothing. Suggest you check memory modules are in good condition.

3. Hibernate (S4 mode), please change Windows setting and system won’t fail to hibernate. Suggest you check memory modules and HDD are in good condition.

4. However, F8a is a beta BIOS, we still recommend you have release version of BIOS.

P.S. Our validated configurations are still the same in previous mail.

Last edited by RedDwarf; 11-21-2008 at 08:49 AM.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Intel Q9450 2.66GHz 8 x 333, 8 x 438 (3.5GHz when overclocked) 1.35V with Intel Power saving enabled
    Windows XP Pro SP2 32 bit
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Gigabyte GV-RX385512H HD3850 512MB
    Western Digital WD5000ABYS 500GB SATA hard drive
    Western Digital WD5000YS 500GB SATA hard drive - disconnected
    Seagate 250GB SATA hard drive
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB
    BenQ 1640 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    NEC 3520 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    Pinnacle Dual DVB-T PCI Tuner
    Mystique Dual PCI-e DVB-S2
    mCubed T Balancer Fan controller controlling 6 case fans and CPU fan - CPU fan recently changed after system freezing started with new higher speed CPU fan.
    minifan blowing through northbridge

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Sorry to hear you lost your huge reply! I do that often myself with firefox!

Sorry to hear, you did RMA right? Hope all goes well with that!

Thanks for the kind words!

Ya, that is kinda shi-ta they would not send you a simple MAC Changer, but I can understand maybe why. MAC Address is hard set normally for Purposes of finding users who are up to no good, so they may likely not be "allowed" to share such a program. But you know they for sure have one!

Well, busy night for me... I have to cut this short as I have about 10 more posts to reply to and I should have been outta here long ago

Let me know if you need help with anything, anytime. And if your RMA'd please do post about your experience with that once you get your board back

Fortunately I did not have to RMA it as the MAC address corrected itself after the BIOS flash error that I mentioned previously when it reported a Bios CRC error immediately after the flash and then copied the F5 Bios from the 2nd Bios. That restored the MAC address for some reason. Not an ideal situation or way of restoring it but it worked. But it seems too much like playing russian roulette to me.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Intel Q9450 2.66GHz 8 x 333, 8 x 438 (3.5GHz when overclocked) 1.35V with Intel Power saving enabled
    Windows XP Pro SP2 32 bit
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Gigabyte GV-RX385512H HD3850 512MB
    Western Digital WD5000ABYS 500GB SATA hard drive
    Western Digital WD5000YS 500GB SATA hard drive - disconnected
    Seagate 250GB SATA hard drive
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB
    BenQ 1640 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    NEC 3520 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    Pinnacle Dual DVB-T PCI Tuner
    Mystique Dual PCI-e DVB-S2
    mCubed T Balancer Fan controller controlling 6 case fans and CPU fan - CPU fan recently changed after system freezing started with new higher speed CPU fan.
    minifan blowing through northbridge

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I thought so, but wasnt sure.

Glad to hear you did not have to RMA! I suppose now you should ask or look/google around about new BIOS releases to be sure they are ok and if you hear so I would still wait a week or so to be sure

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information