Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One Ethernet not working. How do I fix it?

Default One Ethernet not working. How do I fix it?

I have a GA-X48-DS5 and I decided to try one of the newest Bioses as I wanted to try DES Advanced. I was using Bios 6b and decided to try Bios 8a. I will point out that I regularly use both my ethernet interfaces, one connected to my router and the other networked to another PC.

So I flashed the Bios and it seemed to go okay. Rebooted and loaded optimized defaults before setting up the Bios. I booted into a new Windows installation which had only been installed the day before and did not have all the drivers installed. The ethernet drivers were missing. So I installed a Firewall as I don't like having ethernet without a software firewall. But as soon as installed the ethernet, the first ethernet connection shows a yellow exclamation mark on it, the second is working normally. I uninstalled the drivers as they were new and I had not used them before and installed the drivers that I had been using on my other windows install, which had worked successfully. But the connection still had the exclamation mark on it. It says Code 10 the device cannot start.

So I though it might be worth clearing the DMI data, so I tried the flash program to do this as I could not find anything in the Bios to do it. I ended up re-flashing the Bios to clear the DMI data. That did not work so I tried a manual CMOS clear which also did not work.

So I have a none working Ethernet connection after a Bios flash. The Bios does detect a connection at the correct speed using the Smart test but in windows it does not work.

So my guess is that the Bios flash somehow destroyed the MAC address of the ethernet interface as I have had a similar problem after flashing a nForce 2 system. With that using the flash program to re-program the MAC address got it working again. But with the Gigabyte flash program I don't know if that is possible.

So how do I get it working again as I really need the ethernet for my networked PC?
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Intel Q9450 2.66GHz 8 x 333, 8 x 438 (3.5GHz when overclocked) 1.35V with Intel Power saving enabled
    Windows XP Pro SP2 32 bit
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Gigabyte GV-RX385512H HD3850 512MB
    Western Digital WD5000ABYS 500GB SATA hard drive
    Western Digital WD5000YS 500GB SATA hard drive - disconnected
    Seagate 250GB SATA hard drive
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB
    BenQ 1640 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    NEC 3520 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    Pinnacle Dual DVB-T PCI Tuner
    Mystique Dual PCI-e DVB-S2
    mCubed T Balancer Fan controller controlling 6 case fans and CPU fan - CPU fan recently changed after system freezing started with new higher speed CPU fan.
    minifan blowing through northbridge

Default Re: One Ethernet not working. How do I fix it?

Have you tried flashing back to the old bios that worked?

yes, I did that immediately after I saw how much CPU usage the 8a Bios was using in Task Manager when idling, 20 to 30% compared with 0 to 2% with the 6b Bios. That's doing nothing.

It's not just happening on one windows install, it's the same on the one I am using now and the ethernet was installed and working before the Bios flash, but now it is not.
    Last edited by RedDwarf; 11-02-2008 at 11:12 AM.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Intel Q9450 2.66GHz 8 x 333, 8 x 438 (3.5GHz when overclocked) 1.35V with Intel Power saving enabled
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB
    mCubed T Balancer Fan controller controlling 6 case fans and CPU fan - CPU fan recently changed after system freezing started with new higher speed CPU fan.

had the same thing,even the green lguht on the ethernet plug wasnt on as it should be,this wasnt the only problem,i ad many oc problems and so on, replaced the board and everything is fine now.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

After you flashed did you load and apply optimized defaults and save and reboot back to the BIOS? If not you must, and then you would need to set your disk settings again, and enable both LAN's in the BIOS as well.

Qflash will allow you to clear the CMOS and DMI pool. Just flash again to any BIOS and Disable "Keep DMI Data" when you flash, then once you reload the BIOS and load optimized and reboot back to the BIOS for your changes and then save and reboot to windows you will see DMI Pool will be created again and applied once you post past the IRQ screen

Then I would Advise you install the latest RealTek Lan driver again to be sure your version had nothing to do with the issue >>>

GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Driver Download

Or latest Direct (Newer then Gigabyte's page) 5.706.1020.2008 WHQL
    ftp://66.104.77.130/cn/nic/PCIE_Install_5706_1020.zip

Quote Originally Posted by Dweirdo View Post
    had the same thing,even the green lguht on the ethernet plug wasnt on as it should be,this wasnt the only problem,i ad many oc problems and so on, replaced the board and everything is fine now.
    The lights work on mine. The ethernet worked fine, prior to the 8a Bios flash as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    After you flashed did you load and apply optimized defaults and save and reboot back to the BIOS? If not you must, and then you would need to set your disk settings again, and enable both LAN's in the BIOS as well.
    Yes that has been done without success. The Lans are both enabled by default but were checked. Only the boot roms were not enabled.

Qflash will allow you to clear the CMOS and DMI pool. Just flash again to any BIOS and Disable "Keep DMI Data" when you flash, then once you reload the BIOS and load optimized and reboot back to the BIOS for your changes and then save and reboot to windows you will see DMI Pool will be created again and applied once you post past the IRQ screen

Then I would Advise you install the latest RealTek Lan driver again to be sure your version had nothing to do with the issue >>>

GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Driver Download

Or latest Direct (Newer then Gigabyte's page) 5.706.1020.2008 WHQL
    ftp://66.104.77.130/cn/nic/PCIE_Install_5706_1020.zip
    I tried QFlash as you suggested and it made no difference. It did say rebuilding DMI pool after the IRQ screen but that made no difference.

There is a command line option to do that in the Bios flash which I already tried, except I did not check for the rebuilding DMI pool data as I missed it on that occasion.

Again I checked the problematic ethernet in the Bios using the Smart Bios check option. Without a cable connected it said no connections but with my other PC connected it showed a 1Gb connection of less than 10m, the cable is about 3 meters.

I tried the 2nd Ethernet driver you gave and again it made no difference.

I did only flash the 6b Bios as I do not want any of the newer Bioses as they are rubbish and I do not want my CPU time wasted with such Bioses. But I have been using the 6b Bios for a long time without any problems.

How can the newer DES advanced Bioses use so much CPU time while doing nothing? Task Manager shows a massive amount of CPU time, as much as decoding a 1080p HD video.
    Last edited by RedDwarf; 11-03-2008 at 04:36 AM.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Not sure why it uses so much, is that when you are using the new BIOS with it? Do you really need to save a few $$ a year? I mean that is all DES will save you

I'd go back to the BIOS you know works that you had no issues with.

Since you may have already (not sure if you did or not) and you still have the issue, since you see tests OK in BIOS then I would assume it is a windows issue.

So... Have you tried a clean install or a repair install, and or reinstalling the Intel Chipset package

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Not sure why it uses so much, is that when you are using the new BIOS with it? Do you really need to save a few $$ a year? I mean that is all DES will save you

I'd go back to the BIOS you know works that you had no issues with.

Since you may have already (not sure if you did or not) and you still have the issue, since you see tests OK in BIOS then I would assume it is a windows issue.

So... Have you tried a clean install or a repair install, and or reinstalling the Intel Chipset package
    I have tried 2 different windows installs as I have 3 primary partitions with windows installs on my hard drive, one which was only installed a few days back and it is the same with both installs. The one install, which I am using now, the ethernet worked fine before the Bios flash to F8a. I went straight back to F6b which I had been using for a long time after seeing the CPU usage on 8a. I have tried F7 before and that caused high CPU usage and I tried F8a to see if that had been fixed. So there is no reason for me to do yet another windows install when there is a hardware problem preventing windows from using that ethernet connector. The other ethernet connector works, it is connected to my router for my internet. I think that the MAC address needs to be set to get it working.

It's useless having a Bios which means the PC can never enter an idle state. I suspect that Gigabyte are using an interrupt to make DES Advanced function but for some reason it has a very unpleasant effect of very high idle CPU usage. I am surprised that no else has noticed this or made a comment about it.

As I mentioned I did have a similar issue with an nForce 2 system after a Bios flash where windows would not allow the usage of an ethernet device. To fix that I had to use the flash command line program to re-program the ethernet MAC address which is fairly simple to do but with these Realtek ethernet devices I don't know where the MAC address is set. There does seem to be an option for a MAC address in the ethernet properties but it does not seem to change the hardware MAC address. I did try setting a MAC address slightly different to the working ethernet but it made no difference.

The problem with using older Bioses is that the fixes that are added to newer Bioses to solve hardware and system problems will not be fixed when using the older Bioses that do not have the high CPU usage problems that all the newer Bioses have.

I think that Gigabyte should produce two sets of Bioses so that people who do not want DES Advanced (ie very high CPU usage) do not have to have it just to have Bios fixes.
    Last edited by RedDwarf; 11-04-2008 at 02:35 AM.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB

I have re-flashed to the F7 Bios, resetting the CMOS, DMI Pool and reloading the optimized defaults. I did try the Ethernet Smart test again and the result was not as promising as it seemed last time. Testing ethernet #1 which is usually connected to my router with the cable disconnected from my router showed an open connection of less than 10 meters. Testing ethernet #2, which is the one which was having the problem, showed nothing in a similar situation with the lead connected to my PC but nothing connected to the other end. No lights or anything. Nothing was detected at all. Only when my 2nd PC was powered on was a connection detected. So this ethernet is behaving differently to the first ethernet so something seems wrong with the hardware.

I have flashed to F7 and in windows using the standard DES software, the CPU usage looks normal. So it only seems to be DES Advanced that causes the high CPU usage when it is installed and not the Bios itself.

So the high CPU usage is solved, but still why there is high CPU usage while using DES Advanced remains. But my 2nd ethernet is dead and unusable. I need that ethernet connection to network my PC's and my motherboard is still under guarantee. So is there anything else that might fix this?
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB

Quote Originally Posted by Dweirdo View Post
    Did your ethernet stop working AFTER a Bios flash?

To Gigabyte support:

It seems very strange how a Bios flash could destroy the functionality of an ethernet connection when no cables were touched/replaced or altered and the Operating systems were working prior to the Bios flash. To me it seems like the Bios flash has altered something that is not normally affected which is causing this problem such as a hardware MAC address. Can you please ask someone at Gigabyte if there is any way to correct this without returning the motherboard?

I even repeatedly (3 times) downloaded the Bios from different servers to check that they all had the same Md5 signature before beginning the flash. In my Opinion Gigabyte should provide Md5's to check such files to help prevent corrupted Bios images and even Md5's for drivers etc would be helpful.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information