Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte EP45-DS4P DPC Latency issue

Default Re: Gigabyte EP45-DS4P DPC Latency issue

I assume you are using the RealTek Codec, ie onboard sound. If you are, i found whilst i was using Onboard sound that there was good Linux support for Realtek.

Just for fault finding, have you considered burning a Linux "Live CD"?

With a live CD nothing is installed to your PC, you simply boot off the cd/dvd and data is stored in a "Ramdrive".

Ubuntu, Mandriva, Sabayon & Mint are my favourites, with the sabayon distro packed full of codecs - so ideal to test out your MP3's etc.

Links from here:-
    DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

The sabayon one is a live or install dvd:-
    DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

Depending on what you want to test, you might be able to get away with a live cd, so your download will be smaller.

You will need to burn the ISO file to a CD or DVD and boot from that. When the Linux menu appears - you don't need to install it - just run the Live cd/dvd part.

This may help you to discover if it is a hardware or software and/or OS problem.

If you are unsure, please ask. I don't recommend a Linux full install if you are not sure how to dual boot and/ or you have valuable data on your HD.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 12-01-2008 at 01:42 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Hi VorLonUK,

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm not using the onboard sound, but an outboard firewire. The problem is not whether the soundcard is connected, but that the high DPC latencies make the sound crackle and the firewire card stops working after a while.

Running it under Linux may be a useful test though. Does Linux have a similar concept of DPC and a tool to measure it?

Hi,

I think I have solved the problem. I brought the board+CPU+RAM to the local distributor, and after some testing it was ascertained that the board was bad.

With the board swapped out and everything else intact, the latencies were consistently around 5us. With the original board, the bars were spiking all over.

I'm doing more tests with the new board now, to confirm that it's indeed a board issue :)

Alright, after some tests... I made a few observations.

- Using Prime95 torture test Blend with 4 threads, the latencies shoot up to around 100us or so.

- Using CPU-Z, the latencies shoot up to more than 1000us consistently.

- Using a wireless adapter causes regular spikes in latency. The frequency of spikes depends on bandwidth used. The latency values of the spikes can be up to 20000us.

- When idle without any network devices, everything is fine (max at maybe 20us).

Can anyone confirm that these observations are normal?
    Also, how can I improve the latency values?

The good thing: my audio interface no longer requires restarting under normal circumstances.
    The bad thing: large spikes can still occur sometimes, especially when using wireless, and it still causes crackling audio (dropped samples).

I've had a quick look through the thread and are not sure what you have connected to the PC.

Has the motherboard got an onboard FireWire connection or are you using a PCI or PCI-e addin card.
    If so what have you got connected?

I suppose you are using a Wireless USB stick too?

Both these items have been known to hog the Pci Bus..
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Hi I am using the onboard firewire port. I had initially suspected faulty onboard firewire ports and bought a PCIe firewire card, but it didn't help at all.

The problem was identified as a bad motherboard and I have already gotten a 1-to-1 replacement for it. Now it seems to be ok. I just wish to confirm that my observations of the DPC latencies are normal.

Can someone just run a quick test on Prime95 and CPU-Z?

Also, those with wireless adapters, how bad are the spikes, if any?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I have a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard, XP Pro SP3, and a Plextor PX-760A CD/DVD (IDE) burner. I was unable to burn a DVD from an iso image using either ImgBurn or CDBurnerXP Pro. The problem was apparently due to high DPC latencies caused by the Gigabyte EnergySaver (GSvr.exe) service. Using "DPC Latency Checker V1.1.0", with GSvr.exe running, the system DPC latency was around 500Ás. When I disabled GSvr.exe, the DPC latency dropped to around 5Ás, and my Plextor burner worked properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    P45's are not affected like P35 were, so you would not have saw a BIOS update about this.

Do you have all the latest drivers direct from the manufacturer?

It is something either in your hardware or Drivers or software.

See, here is my EP45-DS4P Scan so you can see it is not a BIOS issue or a Board issue >>>

Not sure how you can narrow it down other then a clean install and install things only one at a time testing as you go. Could be any number of things or a combination of them as well. Such as DES installed? Overclock unstable? And as said above, drivers, software and hardware can also all cause this issue.

Here is the P35 page for this, and linked is several things that may cause it >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/p35-...tml#post264733

Also please see this reply for a Gigabyte Direct Quote (About P35 issues, so you can know P45 does not have the issue in itself) >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/p35-...tml#post261907

Your statement on DPC latency problems not affecting P45 motherboards is UNTRUE. My EP45-UD3P has suffered badly since the first day I got it. And if you search around this forum and others, you will see other P45 setups also suffering from DPC latency problems !

My particular DPC latency problem shows up during all sorts of activities including Audio, Video and even has the Cursor jumping about. In fact you could more realistically say that just about every bit of software/hardware that is run on my EP45-UD3P has high DPC Latency issues as a side effect ----> which means this mobo may be a good overclocker for some, but to me it is becoming a large pain in the neck. Latency spikes can typically be anywhere from 2000us to 140000us. And depending on what software/hardware is running, can appear as single spikes or trains of spikes sometimes running for 10-15 secs at a time ---> which is obviously why they can have a dramatic affect on real time activities, eg. Audio, Video and lets not forget Gaming ----> where the more obvious effects would be stuttering and lockups!!!

To determine which piece of hardware or software was causing my DPC latency issues, I installed a "CLEAN" OS with Everything but CPU, Memory, HDD, vga card (pci or pcie, didn't matter), mouse, keyboard disabled at the mobo/bios. In this condition, whilst doing nothing but idling at desktop, DPC latency spikes were typically in range 2-20us. However, click on and activate, windows explorer, express, or just about any software and at least one LARGE (4000-6000us) DPC latency spike appears. And the more dynamic the software, the larger the spike and guarantee of seeing multiple spikes running in sequence.

My experiences to date have been emailed to the Gigabyte tech people.

A supplied F8b bios however resolved nothing. But maybe more concerning was a recent communication from them "arguing" that if the Motherboard with a CLEAN OS install and minimum drivers shows nothing but low level DPC Latency spikes, then the motherboard (and therefore obviously all attached components and the Bios) must be OK. My immediate concern with such a "defensive conclusion" however is that it totally disregards the fact that large "red" latency spikes are still generated by running almost any software on this "minimum setup"

Assuming my EP45-UD3P is not just faulty, my testing and experiences so far would more realistically conclude that the EP45-UD3P motherboard and/or it's Bios has a design flaw ---> where the design flaw may be nothing more than how it deals with proper co-operation between DPC's and IRQ's; and/or maybe even a bad design choice on how IRQ's are shared ?

The bottom line is that DPC issues on EP45 motherboards is far from a closed topic !
    Last edited by jimmor; 02-16-2009 at 07:49 AM.
    The more I know, the more I know I don't know...

On my GA-EP45-UD3R mobo, the Gigabyte EnergySaver (GEST or GSvr.exe) service was the DPC culprit. Using "DPC Latency Checker V1.1.0", with GSvr.exe running, the system DPC latency was around 500Ás, and my Plextor PX-760A DVD burner failed to write. When I disabled GSvr.exe, the DPC latency dropped to around 5Ás, and my DVD burner worked properly.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information