Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3P and trouble with DVD Writer

Default GA-EP45-UD3P and trouble with DVD Writer

Just put together the above; very easy install, probaly the easiest I've put together over the past 15 years. I am using Vista64. I installed an LG combo DVD Writer (model GH22NP20, from Newegg)......it will read DVD's, CD's, CDR's, etc., but will not write....can't figure out why. I had a phillips DVD writer in Vista64 in previous box with no trouble at all (using writing apps inherit in Vista- none other). The drive is set up as an IDE. Everything in the BIOS looks fine..but Vista doesn't even show a Recording tab in the Properties box. Checked LG site-nothing....extensive searches turned up a few registry edits, but not applicable to my registry (no indicated values in my OS). Any thoughts?

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3P and trouble with DVD Writer

uhhh...on second thought; just checked media....its only 4x....I think the LG only does 6x or higher. I would think it would by compatable with slower speeds?? Am I on the right track with this?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Could be the media for sure, some drives are picky about what will and will not work in them

You do have Intel Chipset drivers install right? >>>
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...?ProductID=816
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 11-03-2008 at 12:08 PM.

The only Intel Chipset drivers I installed were the ones that came with the motherboard disk (also whatever Vista update may have added- although I don't remember seeing that done). I went to the link you suggested, but they were no longer available for Vista 64 Ultimate. I will continue to follow up on your suggestions later, when I have more time to research that website.....Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    The only Intel Chipset drivers I installed were the ones that came with the motherboard disk (also whatever Vista update may have added- although I don't remember seeing that done). I went to the link you suggested, but they were no longer available for Vista 64 Ultimate. I will continue to follow up on your suggestions later, when I have more time to research that website.....Thanks again.
    Don't pick the Vista Ultimate link in the drop down menu, just select Vista 64.
    The Ultimate. premium, basic etc are for addon specifics, ie not general stuff that applies to all versions, as this does.

You need to try this:-
    Intel┬« Chipset Software Installation Utility┬*INF Update Utility - Primarily for Intel┬« 4, 3, 900 Series Chipsets
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Thanks VorLonUK-

I will try that later-I had a few minutes and tried my other drive (Phillips) that was in my previous Vista box (and working properly); in the Gigabyte box, it froze my Computer dialogue box (when I checked to view Properties on the LG tab), so it definately may be driver related....

Another thought as it looks like you have the Gigabyte SATA2 chip (as per my board) which could be a Jmicron JMB363, is that you could load the Gigabyte SATA2 driver and select IDE in the setup program - rather than use the generic Microsoft Driver.

The Gigabyte SATA2 Specific Driver allows you to select for IDE or SATA/AHCI as I remember.. Which is a Jmicron driver in disguise.

Edit:
    Another Thought...

I assume you have updated your Vista 64 with Vista 64 Service pack 1 ?
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 11-04-2008 at 12:54 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

...I installed the Intel drivers, no change. I am using the ICH10R controller (set to ACHI in bios). I did install SP1, also.

Whats really weird is the following; Inserted a previous recordable DVD (with some various files), went into Explorer and copied a file off my HDD and pasted it to the recordable DVD..and the task was completed (drive DID write)....so I used an exact same blank disk and the new media won't work (Vista doesn't even give the option to format)...dialogue box comes up stating "Windows cannot read the disc..etc"...this is very weird...I keep thinking that it may be a bad drive..but as indicated before, previous working drive (Phillips) will not work.
    It's really not a big deal- I have a couple of other boxes networked with this one, so all backup prodedures are available....but I do like to have things working properly...and the drive does read and does WRITE to an already formatted DVD-RW. Any other thoughts would be appreciated...as I said everything else is working flawlessly, and do like the performance of the MB.

There are limitations to Vista's own burn engine, so i suggest you try the Nero 9 Trial, just so you can fault find and/or test things.

Nero - Trial Version

I use the newer Builds of Nero7 with Vista 64 and it works fine.

Other options include making a test disk and checking the drives with Nero CD/DVD speed
    http://www.cdspeed2000.com/files/NeroCDSpeed_47716.zip

I have both (2 x DVDrw) an SATA Drive on the ICH9r (ahci enabled) and an EIDE drive on the GB sata/eide controller and both do work ok.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 11-04-2008 at 03:41 AM.

Went ahead and installed Nero 7 Essentials (it came with the LG drive OEM package); this version works fine with Vista64.... and burn functions are working properly (drive is picky with several different brands of DVD media I had laying around); CD-R functions work properly with Nero, also; so all is well....

I guess I was guilty of "contempt prior to investigation" because my previous Vista machine DVD drive worked so well with the Vista burn engine, that I never needed third party software...

Again, thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information