Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Tweaking 48xt dq6

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Tweaking 48xt dq6

Ahh! Well you may just have to reinstall vista. If you do so, all your stuff from the old install will still be kept. It will be on the C drive in a folder called windows.old. Vista will tell you about this

Hey, when you do the repair, do you load the driver at all? Or can you?

well, when i selected repair i didn't have to load the ich9r driver it was already loaded ! i could see the drives but the repair mode couldn't see the os wich is strange.
    I tried a first reinstallation and everything went right. Then i wanted to rplace the windows.old files (windows,prog files, etc...) to the operational windows folders (booting from my stanalone installation) and i made a mess^^ so i'm reinstalling it again. I hope i won't have any problems with activation... Well i'll see what happens but at least the main problem seems fixed.
    It's a good thing i have a laptop so i can still do somethings...
    the next step will be bios flashing then after reinstallation of all the drivers !

When i install a new pc i never install the progs in the system disc but always apart in another partition so i don't care about loosing the previous windows since you have to reinstall the drivers anyway. The ghost i made wasn't reliablke since it was missing the boot loader. Finally it's not a drama this happened now i'll make a new ghost with a really fullyinstallation made.
    Last edited by jeffster; 12-04-2008 at 03:32 AM.

Ya, you cant just move programs over to the new install. That is there only so you can grab your documents, music, desktop items, ect.

Good luck with the clean install, I will be doing one here next week

hehe ok, so i can scrap these directory cause my documents are all been moved to another partition (i always do that). What i did with my raid 5 :
    - system 200 Go (c)
    - games 500 Go (d)
    - utilities 500g0 (e)
    _ My documents 500Go (f)
    _ Backup 1T2 (g)

and i wanted to add a raid 0 to that for :
    - pagefile sysstem
    - temporary files
    - encoding

i noticed that now i had a menu at every start d you know how i could just keep the good vista install (i remeber it was in a boot.ini but now on vista it seems different)
    Last edited by jeffster; 12-04-2008 at 04:09 AM.

well, brilliant !

just in case, when i created my raid 5 array, the ich9r was not able to crete volumes larger than 2To, and not able to create more than 2 volumes. With my 6 640 Go (1g=1000 MO) each disk was recognized in a 1024Mo base wich made 596.2 Go wich is normal !
    596.2*6 makes 3577.2 Go 1024 basis wich made 2981 Go at final.
    This is just to say that 6*1To makes 5To (1000 basis) usable. I that case you will surely loose disk space, since the ich9r don't manage more than 2 volumes larger than 2To.
    The largest disk array should be somewhere like 6*750 Go if you don't want to loose space.

This morning i'm going to try to activate the gb, boot with the raid 5 and see if at least vista sees the gbcontroller. If he sees it i'l try to use the gbraid windows soft to create a test raid 0. If it works i'll go buy my velociraptor !

Haha it works!!!!!!

The gigabyte raid configurer saw the 2 raptors (1 74 go and 1 150 Gb), i could create the raid array for my test volumes, and format it so it worked that way ! Brilliant result, i think my purse will be hot this after to catch the 2 velociraptor !

I made tests just to see and the conclusion is :

raid 5 with samsung something like 3 times more quick than the raid 0 raptor sata 1 raid 0 in reading.
    Raptor sata are about 1 time and a half quicker than my raid 5 partition wich astonished since the raptors are only sata 1 drives! I guess i will really gain a lot with velociraptors instead! but in reading process i already know that 2 velociraptors in raid 0 are much less quicker than a 6 raid 5 array of samsung.
    I should be back in around 3 hours with the velociraptors installed !!!!
    Last edited by jeffster; 12-04-2008 at 06:09 PM.

Nice to hear! Ya ICH9R is limited to 2T RAID, but after that 2T RAID Volume you can add additional Disks though

Actually looks to be 2-256T limit on ICH9R >>>
    http://support.intel.com/support/chi.../CS-022304.htm
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-05-2008 at 02:43 AM.

Yeah everything now works correctly ! I can now seriously start overclocking ! My pc is optimized @stock in the final stage, backups are made, ghost images are made, i can now start the next step^^

One thing i noticed is there is are at writing 10% more performance (used ATTO) between a raid 0 75GB raptor and a raid 0 150gb velociraptor on the gbraid controller while there is a 20% performance gain on reading. This made me a bit disapointed as i thought the differences would be much more than this.

Since i can't make a test do you know if performance are better on the gbraid or on the ich9r for a 2 disks raid 0 array ?
    Last edited by jeffster; 12-05-2008 at 03:32 AM.

The Intel Controller for sure is faster, since you have ghosts I would go ahead and make new Arrays on the Intel controller and install your System to that.

What Ghost are you using to Ghost RAID with?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information