Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tweaking 48xt dq6

Default Tweaking 48xt dq6

hi all !

I'm new to this forum and new to gygabyte products (i have experience but only tried asus/msi and abit MB before) and therefore i would need a little help for tweeking my board as a start.

I recently (this week end) bought full new parts and assembled my pc. Every thing went fine. The parts are :

- Lian li - P80
    - Corsair HX 1000w
    - Gygabyte x48tdq6
    - intel core 2 quad 9650 (3Ghz- 1333FSB) with Noctua u12p cpu rad/fan.
    - 2*2Go 1600MHz PC12800 Platinium Cas 7 OCZ3P16002GK (tried the 1600Mhz because my aim is to reach a 3.6 Ghz with 400 FSB)
    - 1 Gainward Radeon HD4870 x2
    - 1 samsung spinpoint F1 raid 500Go
    - windows vista ultimate 64 bit

I play heavy fps games such as Farcry2 and make a lot of video encoding (is that the right term ? what i mean is that i encode VODs on to divx).

I see that some people seems to have problems with ocz 2Go wich is not my case (maybe i'm lucky^^). The ram is stable and i have been encoding videos, stressing the pc since saturday 3 o'clock in the afternoon. The voltage by default is 1.9v (i changed nothing). And the 7-7-7-24 timing of the ram was well discovered by default.

The only stange thing i had was when i first installed the CPU it was seen as 8*333= 2.6Ghz. so i raised up the multiplier to 9 instead to fit the 3Mhz spec of the proc which was ok. I guess maybe that i should update the bios and that maybe then the q9650 would be set properly by default.

Apart from that i have several question upon the Gb motherboard and seeking help on tweaking (no oc just tweak for a start).

1- i just bought 1 disk drive for the moment but what i would like to do is have the 2 raid controllers up and running (the GB and ich9r) according to fit this :
    6 spinpoint in Raid 5 controlled by ich9r. (this part will hold vista 64bits, my documents, utilities such as office/photoshop/any other kind of utilisties including tweakings, and i wanted to have a huge place for file backups)
    2 WD Velocirator 300Go in Raid 0 controller by Graid. (for games and vod to divx conversion)
    Since i just have 1 drive i couldn't test to see if it is possible to use both raid controllers. Any idea ?

2- Each time at the pc's cold boot i hear a "beeeeep" but absolutely no errors reported on the post and everything works fine (i have the alt on all errors activated, and the floppy is disabled since i have none). I guess it's normal but is there a way to disable the "beep" sound when booting ? I didn't had any noise on my previous MSI neo2 platinum and that beep sounds anoying for my ears and those of my girlfriend (when tweaking i reboot a lot and she get upset sometimes moreover when it is 2 o'clock in the morning^^)

3 - Is the "A guide to Gygabyte Overclocking and bios Tweaks" announced to be dedicated to X38/p35/p965 also applyable for X48T ? It seems that there is no much difference between x38/x48 or p35/p45 so i'mjust wondering........

4 - hum.. that will be enough for a first post and great thank to anybody who could answer or simply trying to help to answer my questions.....

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Tweaking 48xt dq6

Yeap, you sure can use both controllers like you mentioned. NO problem.

That beep is normal, one beep means system booted properly/normal. You can remove the case speaker if you like (But keep it around, incase you need to hook it up later if you run into issues)

Ya, that guide is perfect for X48T but of course some of the ram suggestions would need to be a little different for DDR3 is all.

So, if you do need some help with settings, let me know I can help for sure.

Since you said your CPU was picked up improperly then yes, you likely do need to update the BIOS, or at least Load optimized defaults. But a update is suggested if you are using a older BIOS as there has been improvements for 45nm CPU's and other items for your board.

DO NOT USE @BIOS, Here is a Qflash guide I wrote >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

And here is your BIOS download page >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-X48T-DQ6

If ya do, post me your settings now and what you would like to run or what issue you are having setting-wise and I will advise back >>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8] 
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450] 
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] 
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] 
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] 
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] 
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

well thank you for the answer ! The drive organisation is for me a major issue since i seek power/safety and huge storage ! having 6 500go samsung spinpoint will give me a huge 2to of usable space at a relatively low price while the 2 velocirator in raid 0 will be great for encoding videos (momentary datas only) and games that consumes a lot of disk access (such as role playing game/management etc...). The game part while be synchronized on the raid 5 backup volume (with synckback) so that i will not loose any backup and huge installations such as wow (with all the patches it takes ages to reinstall if you have to do it from scratch).

For the cpu issue i have the latest non-beta bios for my board (F5), i saw the F6 beta but i don't feel like trying a bios at my own risk on my brand new machine. Since there is no probleme changing the multiplier it works well when i changed it at 9*333 without any problemes.

my Ram is said to be working at 1.9v for 1600Mhz with the 7-7-7-24 timings.
    For the moment the ram is at 1.9v for 7-7-7-20 at 1333 Mhz with the 4.0B multiplier (wich is normal). I took this ram specially to be sure that with oc there will be no issue with the ram hitting a 400FSB, wich will be my ultimate goal (this is why i got a noctua u12p for the proc). Let say i have around a month to test/tweak/oc everything since i'l buy the 5 other spinspoint, the 2 velociraptor and 2*2go more ( same brand same model - i also play with virtual pc so i need a good amount of ram ) at the beginning of december. My aim is to have my full pc up and ready for that date !

I'll collecte all the information you asked when home (huh i'm working yet but have 4 days of next week )

Forgot a thing :

I use virtual pc as an emulator only to older systems such as win98/win server 2003 the virtualization is disabled in bios and virtual pc is running well. So do you have an idea of the impact of this setting ?

Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

I make no PtoV's like you can do on vmware esx and i guess it has an implication only if you use one of these but don't really know that's just a suggestion.

After a small search through inet i found this on virtualization if anybody is interesting :

"There are two ways you can do virtualization - in software or in hardware. Before recent CPUs that support hardware virtualization, this was always done in software with programs like VMWare or Virtual PC. These software solutions "virtualize" a second processor to run a second OS, and obviously there is some overhead involved in this (hence why a virtual OS never quite performs as fast as a native OS).

However, with the introduction of hardware virtualization, a single CPU can act if it were several CPUs running in parallel, allowing the system to run several operating systems at the same time. In theory hardware virtualization should be more efficient than software virtualization.

Software such as Xen, VMWare and Virtual PC support hardware virtualization. Xen is a little different than programs such as VMWare and Virtual PC that run on top of a conventional OS in that it uses a thin software layer known as a hypervisor (basically a virtualization-enabled kernel) that is inserted between the server’s hardware and the virtualized operating system(s), so there's not really an underlying OS as such like Windows. Xen is very popular with hosting companies that want to host multiple virtual servers on a single hardware server.

Also, I believe if you don't enable hardware virtualization in your bios, on a C2D system you would only see a single core processor on your virtual machine as the virtualization would be performed in software."<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Ya, that virtulization must only affect that aspect of vmware then. I had no idea virtualPC could run with it off. I use Vmware myself So I have it enabled, never tried it disabled so I am not really sure about if it would still work then.

Ya, with that info you posted I do think you are right at the bottom, as I can set one or two CPU's in Vmware and I cannot on some other systems with this setting disabled now that I think about it

Hi again ! Let's play a bit now and here is the info you asked :

CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [Auto] (i saw everybody having the 102 fixed but i found no real info on the pcie16x 2.0 bus frequency)
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [4.00B]

CAS Latency Time________________ 7
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 7
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______7
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 20

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 5
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 10
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 60
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 5
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 0 [Auto]

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.100V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [Normal]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [Normal]

C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled] Not having this
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled] Not having this
    Virtualization Technology................: [enabled] hehe put it back on then^^

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Enabled]

i posted these to have advices on the settings without o/c for the moment.

I did a test with a slight oc pulling the fsb to 350 just to see and this first test was brillant. I used orthos test for about 20 minutes and core temp didn't raise over 47° at 100% cpu usage it seems a good start i guess.

Here try these settings >>>>

CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100] (i saw everybody having the 102 fixed but i found no real info on the pcie16x 2.0 bus frequency)
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [4.00B]

CAS Latency Time________________ 7
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 7
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______7
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 20

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-6
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 5-12
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 10-14
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 62-80
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-8
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7-12
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 0 [Auto]

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.100V] This is only 1.6 (Default is 1.5) so you want +.3-.4 for 1.8v-1.9
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [Normal] << Set +.2-.3
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [Normal]

C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled] Not having this
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled] Not having this
    Virtualization Technology................: [enabled] hehe put it back on then^^

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Enabled]

Everything you have looks ok really, I just added in ranges for when you raise your FSB. You should set the MCH and Ram voltage though before you start overclocking

Well, thank you very much for the quick response ! I'll try these when i'm back home (it's 10 in the morning here in france) !
    Don't you have any idea of a "safe" overclocking with such mainboard/cpu (the ram shouldn't be a problem since it is pc12800) ?
    I know that each case is different but do you think a 9*400mhz (3.6Ghz) is makeable with air-cooling (the nocta seems to refresh well and my tower's fan too) ? I have no real idea about the oc's resistence of the proc/nb nowadays (my last one lasted me 4 years ans for the first time i tried an intel proc always had AMD^^), the same for ATI graphic board i always had nvicia before, well many changes for me.
    Anyway i'm already pleased with my machine actually and any +s i consider as a bonus, with the great pleasure to tweak^^

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information