Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: P31-DS3L CPU ratio stuck. Help!

Default Re: P31-DS3L CPU ratio stuck. Help!

The multiplier can be manually changed to 7,8 or 9 but all of them revert back to 6 after saving and restarting.

I suppose too, that CPUz CPUID indicates that the maximum multiplier either under load or with EIST/C1 disabled is still 6x whilst in windows?

Otherwise I suppose it could be a CPU of Motherboard fault. Although i wouldn't give up flashing the bios, with an old version (although not so old it didn't recognise the chip) and trying a few more attempts of that.

Short of that, it's worth seeing if anyone else can give you some more feedback.

Just another thought:-
    Have you tried reducing the FSB down or even up for that matter (memory permitting) to see if the CPU is refusing to clock any higher.

IE Underclock to see if the CPU multiplier can be raised. Overclock to see if the the CPU Speed can be increased, whilst the CPU multiplier remains the same.

You could also change the Memory multiplier to 2.00x , as to drop that right out the equation.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 11-05-2008 at 05:58 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

That's interesting, I never thought of doing that before. I just tried it and it does underclock and overclock from 2ghz absolutely fine untill it reaches 500. 500x6= 3ghz. It just refuses to run at 3ghz and above.

Quote Originally Posted by SWOOORDs View Post
    That's interesting, I never thought of doing that before. I just tried it and it does underclock and overclock from 2ghz absolutely fine untill it reaches 500. 500x6= 3ghz. It just refuses to run at 3ghz and above.
    Thats very good a 2000Mhz (Quad FSB). So if you did put and I'm assuming you did your memory multiplier to 2.00x, then if you are using 800Mhz PC2-6400, that is probably running at it's peak, ie 1000Mhz and maybe the limiting factor in this experiment - rather than the CPU.

Just out of interest, I assume your ATX12volt 4 pin connector is connected?

If you underclock, say to 300Mhz or lower, can you push the CPU multiplier up?
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Actually I just did abit more testing, It stops saving the FSB when it reaches 475. So I can get it to 2.85ghz before it dosn't like it. What does this mean then? Just a bug in the BIOS? The 12 volt 4 pin is connected.
    I still don't understand how it ran fine with a 9x multiplier when I first put it all together and now it just won't budge from 6.
    Tried underclocking the FSB and rasing the multiplier. No luck, back at 6.
    Last edited by SWOOORDs; 11-05-2008 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SWOOORDs View Post
    Actually I just did abit more testing, It stops saving the FSB when it reaches 475. So I can get it to 2.85ghz before it dosn't like it. What does this mean then? Just a bug in the BIOS? The 12 volt 4 pin is connected.
    I still don't understand how it ran fine with a 9x multiplier when I first put it all together and now it just won't budge from 6.
    Tried underclocking the FSB and rasing the multiplier. No luck, back at 6.
    Well it seems that your CPU will run almost to stock speed with a different combination of FSB and CPU multiplier and as I said previously it's probably you ram saying No at 950Mhz, especially if its rated at 800 Mhz and you are using the 2.00 memory multiplier for this testing.

So i'm back to thinking that it is purely a multiplier issue, but as to why, I'm not really sure.
    It could be something obscure, or i haven't thought of, to a partially corrupted bios, faulty CPU or even a bent Pin on the LGA775 Socket (ie a bios to cpu "communication" problem).

You could try further bios flashing with Q flash, or Dos Floppy method, but NOT @Bios in the meantime and/or wait to see if you get some further suggestions on here.

OK, thanks alot for your suggestions. I'll keep messing with it and see If i can figure it out.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yeah I would suggest you update the BIOS, or at least Load optimized defaults and start over again. As said above DO NOT USE @BIOS. Here is a Qflash guide >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Exclamation Re: P31-DS3L CPU ratio stuck. Help!

#################################
    I got the same problem as my friend here and I'm in need to refresh this topic for a solution.
    #################################

Hmm but from the beginning I will explain what's have occurred.

I bought parts to build my pc around June 2008. I build the PC with following Parameters:

Main board: Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L
    CPU (Processor): DualCore Intel Pentium E2160 Or simply Intel Pentium Dual Core e2160 it is 1.8GHz processor.
    Graphic Card: Galaxy NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
    On Board Memory RAM: At first i got 1GB and in about beginning of 2009 i bough the second one so now i got 2GB Of ram. It is a ram with max 1066 MHz (if somebody would like to OC it a little)
    I think this specs i posted should be enough for now.

############
    Time for the Problem
    ############

My PC was running without OC overclock for couple of months, i dunno exactly how much but i would think that minimum 4 or 5.

I was in need to OC it because some software, game, and Emulator of Wii which i was testing then needed more power and i knew at that time that my CPU is good for extreme OC (with some good cooling device) but since i didn't have anything good for cooling, just the BOX fan which was with my CPU when i bought it.

I changed my CPU to work with 2.0GHz at multiplier 9x, C1E and ...wait dunno why but my bios didn't have EIST functionality then...(it showed up like a 10 months later when i upgraded the BIOS software to newer one and then the functionality appeared but it was already too late... thought I will come to details later on In this post)

As I was saying I changed my processor speed to 2.0 GHz at multiplier ratio 9x which was default MAX in Bios.

C1E [ CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ] and TM2 [ CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ] Was ENABLED for all the time until the problem occurred (multiplier stuck at 6x) and i didn't have EIST option at bios... (if you want a foto from that time, i could provide one because i have it on my HDD)

Also I didn't know back then how to set up my Voltages so i turned it from Normal to Auto and leaved the PC like that for next 6-7 Months when i Switched for Windows XP and Vista (at that time i got both OS'es there) to Windows 7 Beta.

######
    Around March 2009
    ######

After a week or two (maybe 3) on Windows 7 x64 Beta I noticed that my pc is runing slower than before, I opened the CPU-Z and looked at parameters. I knew since the beginning that when cpu is in IDLE state your multiplier is set there at 6x and it was working with 1.3GHz speed. So i got something to stress it a little, now i don't remember did i Get Prime Software, or runned some game or something, I just simple stressed it to the point where ration should jump to 9x and my PC should started to working at designated 2.0GHz as always before....but It didn't.... it was stuck at 6x multiplier with a 1.3 GHz ratio. . .

I've repeated the test like 5 times, done restart and stuff but nothing still 6x.

I've Noticed that when my pc bots on the memory and components check screen that my CPU is set to be working with 6x multiplier and was set at 1.3 GHz ... So I've entered the bios > the oc Settings and was surprised O.o

My Multiplier was set to 6x...What the... I've changed it to 9x back, Saved the settings and exit.

After reboot...*looking at the bios screen* CPU is 6x at 1.3 Ghz ...

I'm entering the bios again > OC Settings .... Multiplier Ratio is set to 6x again...

I've reseted all the bios to defaults so my pc should now work with 1.2GHz at 6x and 1.8 GHz at 9x, I just double checked that the ratio is at 9x... Saved...Reboot...Entering Bios...Again it is set to 6x...

From that point of time my multiplier In Bios was stuck on 6x and never changed to 9x since today...

I've searched internet, Upgraded, and downgraded my bios... after Upgrade option EIST appeared, i read about EIST, C1E, TM2, TM1 and all kind of s**** but nothing worked :cry:

My CPU was bond to be working with multiplier 6x at speed 1.2ghz... i gave up like 3 times with searching for rescue here and in that time, I've set my CPU to be working with 2.0 ghz on 6x multiplier... even later when i needed more power i'v switched it to be working with his stable max which is 2.11 GHz and thats the speed I'm running now on multiplier ratio 6x >.> (my windows 7 sees the pc as 3.17 GHz one =.=") (btw. since the problem came to light i switched my voltages to normal, and never switched them to auto again, I've read somewhere that it was a bad idea...)

I can't set higher because the computer occasionally just crash and I need to reboot. My Temperatures are stable as a side note.

...ah! i forgot about one thing after another 10 months since the problem occured and I was running a new version of Bios, i Disabled C1E, EIST and TM2... set ratio to 9x ... and it worked O.o for the first time my ratio was set to 9x but there was a problem in windows with that... Everything was laggy, runs slower when it was set to 6x, HD Ready movies (720p) wasn't playable at all (i didn't have any problems with playing them at full speed before) Points in some games and fps drooped for like about 60 or more % >.>

There was a huge drop down in system performance so i came back to 6x (enabled all the s*** like C1E and stuff) and my computer started working faster...

That would be all of the explanation about the problem. Any ideas what is going on? Is it some damage to procesor? or to Main Board? What exactly is damaged? What's is wrong? I'm not asking anymore about the fix to that, but if you know how to fix it

PLEASE TELL ME!! I'm desparated at this TT_TT :cry:

PS: Sorry for the long post You must now read but I've wanted to explain this as detailed as possible.

EDIT: I've done some testing (again) it seems like the CPU Multiplier only change to 6x when i ENABLE CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ... what should this mean?

"When Thermal Monitor 2 is enabled, and a high temperature situation is detected, the Thermal Control Circuit (TCC) will be activated. The TCC causes the processor to adjust its operating frequency (using the bus multiplier) and input voltage (using the VID signals). This combination of reduced frequency and VID results in a reduction to the processor power consumption."

"When the Thermal Monitor feature is enabled, and a high temperature situation exists (i.e., TCC is active), the clocks will be modulated by alternately turning the clocks off and on at a duty cycle specific to the processor (typically 30–50%)."

Some lag can be experienced whereas cpu is overheating and thermal monitor (2) is self-activated, it happends at exactly 85C.

Download the Intel "Intel Thermal analysis tool", you will see what happends exactly.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information