Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: P31-DS3L CPU ratio stuck. Help!

Default Re: P31-DS3L CPU ratio stuck. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by yuu View Post
    The way it senses overheat is probably by #prochot lga contact pad, you could insulate it, it is risky. I don't understand how you could have such problems. I mean how could intel integrate so many useless powersaving features and overheat protection that works against us.
    I already know about 20 or more people who got problems like that... the worst part is You don't have to do anything to make this problem...it's just randomly poop out after some time...

I got a question here...
    #prochot lga contact pad What the hell is that O.o" ?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by grunt3 View Post
    I'm running a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P with the latest F10 bios. I have this same problem with the stuck multiplier. It happened either after trying EasyTune6 or using the Low Power Mode in DES. I was running fine with a 9 multiplier for a year and now it got stuck at a 6 multiplier. Uninstalling and disabling both didn't work. The only thing that worked was turning off TM2, though I haven't tried reflashing the BIOS yet. I don't notice a lag like you've said. rmclock doesn't like Win 7 at the moment. I'm really curious why, after a year, I need to disable TM2 to keep my default 9 multiplier.
    Clear your CMOS fully using the long method outlined in post 2 here
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Then update your BIOS to the latest version
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...st-bios-28441/

Use Qflash and disable "Keep DMI Data"

Sorry to bring this ancient topic up again. I've recently gone back to the PC in the OP. The problem is still there. I recently upgraded the PSU to a 550w to see if that might help but alas, the ratio won't budge from 6. I'm still running BIOS 9 and I see on the Gigabyte website they have pretty much stopped supporting this board. Do you think it would be worth rolling back the BIOS to rev 2? Remember my E6850 worked at 3ghz in this mobo straight out of the box for 4 or so months. Is there anyway of finding out what BIOS my motherboard was running when I first installed it? Sorry again for reviving this topic.
    Cheers.

EDIT- Sorry just so you don't have to keep going back to the OP, here are the specs:

Gigabyte P31-DS3L (BIOS 9)
    Intel E6850
    550w PSU
    2GB dual channel RAM
    Last edited by SWOOORDs; 10-09-2010 at 08:04 PM.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Have you tested the CPU itself in another board or/and a different CPU with this board?
    With optimized defaults set, does the CPU multiplier stay on 6 under load?

Eeeeeeeerm, yes I think I do remember testing it at a friends and it running fine at 3ghz. That was over 2 years ago now. I think the problem is with the mobo. It's funny because when you right click on my computer and it brings up the sytem specs it says running @3ghz. Steam says it is running at 3ghz. Running Everest it clocks it at 2ghz and running the intel id utility has it expected at 3 but is reported as 2.
    Setting optimized defaults in bios jumps it to 9 initially but after the reboot it's back at 6.

BIOS show 6 but it is actually running at 9?
    Download CPU-Z that apropriate to your operating system and run an application that consume CPU and see if it changes from 6 to 9.

Ok, you are all going to think what an idiot I am, but......it's working. I took the CMOS battery out for a few mins. Stuck it back in, loaded optimized defaults, disabled that C2 thingy in BIOS. Booted up and for the first time in over 2 years it stuck at 9. Loaded in windows tested CPU-Z. Reporting 2ghz idle 3ghz when I run an application.
    I know what you are all thinking, but I swear if I did those steps once I've done them over a 100 times. Strange indeed.
    Is it generally reccomended to turn speed step off all together or shall I just be thankful that it is now working as it should be?

BIOS should have shown 9 anyway, I was just wondering if it show 6 but actually runnung at 9 when needed (under load).

OK, I've just had a bit of a play in the BIOS. It seems that the C2 (the one which turns down the cpu clock if the cpu gets too hot) is the setting that is directly related to this. When I turn this off, the multiplier sticks at 9. If I turn off both C2 and Speedstep, the multiplier reverts back to 6 and cpu z reports it as such and it does not go any higher than 2ghz. This is strange to me because my CPU is at a steady 32 degrees. It seems that C2 needs to be off and Speedstep on to allow the multiplier to stick at 9. Is this common? Or a bizzare quirk on my board?

Seems like a problem with the motherboard.
    In BIOS it should always be 9 as default.
    Did you check actual speed when it show 6 in BIOS?
    Any chance the board still under warrenty?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information