Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GV-R485MC-1GH dead silent HD4850! Should I buy it?

Default Re: GV-R485MC-1GH dead silent HD4850! Should I buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I know that feeling! I am looking to get two new cards but wanna skimp on the price and still get something good. I dont game, but want a good set of cards anyway, but cheap!

So I am always waiting for a deal and the new cards keep passing me buy and I never find what I want.

Still using 1 Sapphire X1950PRO 256MB but I want to crossfire with 2 full size cards, cheap with Blue PCB and just have not found that great deal yet
    The tech/geeky side of me really wants to set up a crossfire config to play with and setup, also. I use my computer for a large variety of things including the occasional gaming - some games just look to nice now-a-days to resist, but I get bored of games quickly.

At first, I was leaning heavily to picking up a second card and equipping them both with an accelero twin turbo and some mx-2 to help the cooling, but my EP45-DS3R as you know is 16x slot 1 and 8x slot 2. I don't know how much that would affect performance. And then to consider a lot of games, applications, and so on so forth don't support crossfire or utilize it enough to justify me spending an extra 200 dollars plus the 60 I would spend cooling both of them.

Where as, I could just wait a while and not have to worry about any of that and get a 4870 x2 that will probably last longer; or if I can be iron willed and wait till early/mid 2009 when something comes out that will be even better.

I think I can honestly hold out because at 1440 x 900 the 4850, slightly oc'd, handles everything I throw at it beautifully. And that processor OC you've been helping me out with isn't bad either .

And in reguards to the powercolor, if you have good air flow it shouldn't be a problem. Also, that should be a nice upgrade, and let us know how it goes .

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

P45 boards are PCI-E 2.0 so that x8 slot is about the same as two X16 slots anyway. You would not notice any difference really between p45 slots and a Dual x16 like the X48. As most all cards cannot fill one x16 PCI-E 1.1 bandwidth yet anyway.

Kinda like SATA II does not use close to all of it's abilities yet either

Sales Pitch more then anything, with both for now

4879 X2 ? There will be better out when you decide to get that... What to do! HAHA

Hope the NO Cooler card works out for you, I often see this is not the case. But then again that is with gamers. You could always add a 80MM fan on the heatsink if it did get too hot, if you have room

Interesting thanks for telling me that.

Now, if there was only more support for Crossfire I would seriously consider picking up a second card in the mean time. I just don't like the idea of paying 200 for another card I will only be able to utilize half the time.

My better instincts tell me to wait until next gen cards, which I will probably do.

In the mean time, I'm going to get this: Arctic Cooling, see if I can OC my card a little more and drop some temps. Maybe my pc won't be a space heater any more.

I decided against getting an twin turbo. I got creative and ripped a fan off an old amd 3800 I had.

40C idle, 50C load at 740/1070. vs 54 idle, 70 load.

Not too bad!
    Last edited by JLB2414; 11-09-2008 at 10:44 AM.

I finally got my powercolor 4850 pcs+. It runs really hot but very silent. It's like passive gigabyte with a silent fan :) Even though it makes inside of the case a fireplace I liked its silence.

IS a oven worth the silence? Really?

And how hot is it when you game?????

Haven't played yet, been installing essentials and backing up my old hdds. But I'll tell as soon as I play. It stays around 60-70 C when idle; at least it undercloks itself to 500Mhz maybe it's catalyst's feature. Well you know my first option was passive gigabyte and this one is as silent as a passive one nearly :) Maybe a card with a fan blowing outside of the case like HIS IceQ4 could be a better choice for keeping cool inside, but it has an annoying whistling sound :( So this oven makes me happy as it stays running and not catch a fire :)

60-70 Idle, isnt that HOT? WOW, a load would be 90-100C likely!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information