Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GV-R485MC-1GH dead silent HD4850! Should I buy it?

Question GV-R485MC-1GH dead silent HD4850! Should I buy it?

Hi. I was planning to buy HIS HD4850 ICEQ4 Turbo. But it was not a so silent card and I came across this model of Gigabyte (GV-R485MC-1GH). Seems to be the exact solution to my silent pc dream! But I wonder if it can run without a hitch in a mid-ATX case with only one 12cm. exhaust fan (excluding psu's 12cm fan) Will this card perform as I expect? Should I buy it or prefer an active cooled one like Powercolor 4850 PCS+ (21dB)?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GV-R485MC-1GH dead silent HD4850! Should I buy it?

If you plan to game at all, I would suggest a actively cooled card for sure

I'm not a hard gamer but I'll play for sure from time to time. So you say that this card is no good for me? I'm still undecided (you know that noise thing) :( Btw thanks again, you are the only one who runs this forum alone..

I bought the Gigabyte 9600GT SLI 1GB DDR3 PCI-E, and it's fantastic -- completely silent, which goes nicely with my silent build. I haven't had any struggles running 3D games at 1920x1200 resolution.

The only trouble I had was that it didn't like the new NVIDIA drivers when I installed them; the computer wouldn't boot into the OS after GRUB loaded.
    The solution was simple: update motherboard and video card firmware.

Thank you for your advice. But I'll prefer ati as gpu. And sli-crossfire solutions are too much for me. What I want is performance with silence. I mean real silence! Some people say HIS iceq4 is silent, but it's not (30dB! idle from 1 meter). You know what I mean? ;)

I have this card. I have it slightly OC'd 740/1045. It runs about 50C idle and can go up to about 65 load. I have 2 120mm scythe fans blowing on it. It games just fine at 1440 x 900 res that I use, but it is a little hot for my liking.

I plan on upgrading it though when the next gen cards come out, or when I weaken and buy a 4870 x2 or something fancy like that. In the mean time, I might get a non stock fan/heatsink for it though.

It's a decent card, but I'd go for the one with active cooling if I were to choose again! Plus my fan/heatsink on my processor sounds like a jet engine so I'm not so quiet .

2 "Ninja" Scythes blowing on it so it's hardly cool! :) Well without fans helping it, it might fry in my mid-atx case. I was inbetween Powercolor and this. Powercolor's idle and load temperatures are as high as gigabyte's. (59C and 85C) So I thought why buy an active cooled one? But it seems gigabyte will be waaay hotter in my case than powercolor. So in that case my silent card will be powercolor :( Added extra fans annoying me. Btw thanks for sharing your experience with this not much known card ;)

Newegg.com - Scythe SY1225SL12H 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan - Case Fans

2 of those, still not the best but good enough. At any rate, it could be worse, i.e. nothing .

The nice thing about the active ones with stock fans is they blow heat out the back, which takes out a heat source. And with 8.10 catalyst it easy to adjust the fan speed to make it run cool, from what I hear. You just have to live with the noise in that scenario.

I need to resist the temptation to buy a new video card that I really don't need, and hold off for the next gen ones, but it's so hard! lol

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JLB2414 View Post

I need to resist the temptation to buy a new video card that I really don't need, and hold off for the next gen ones, but it's so hard! lol
    I know that feeling! I am looking to get two new cards but wanna skimp on the price and still get something good. I dont game, but want a good set of cards anyway, but cheap!

So I am always waiting for a deal and the new cards keep passing me buy and I never find what I want.

Still using 1 Sapphire X1950PRO 256MB but I want to crossfire with 2 full size cards, cheap with Blue PCB and just have not found that great deal yet

Well my only left option powercolor (decided to buy it 'cause of their silence) does not use a fan that blows outside of the case. Hope it won't start a fire inside :) I'll share my experiences with this card as soon as I get it. Stay tuned :P And as for the temptation, mine is irresistible 'cause I got an ati 9550 with a relatively old computer :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information