Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New, better bios needed it's time =)

Default MayDay, MayDay...Houston we have a problem!

Heellooo...

Well, I got my new RAM yesterday. Running at 1066Mhz, it feels a lot more stable but think there's need for some LCD style Tweaking
    I ran memtest86 + 2.01 for about 2hours and I receive some strange errors. Let me tell you.

First run gave errors in 3 of the tests 8,5,7. So I ran these tests again. Strangely enough I now get errors on test 5 (move blocks) only!? How is this possible? I hope this information gives you anything. I'm about to try out your settings now. Atm I have +3v on RAM, +2v On MCH +1v on FPS.

TST..PASS..Failing.Address...............Good..... ...Bad..........Err- Bits
    8......0 (2)..0011bd835c4-4541.1MB.175a5fa6...175adfa6..00008000
    5......1 (3)..00092106e30-2337.3MB.00000000..10000000.10000000
    7......1 (2)..0001a3663d0-419.3MB...8c50228f...cc50228f..40000000

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: New, better bios needed it's time =)

Test each stick first one by one at stock to be sure none are faulty. Then please tell me again what is your new ram and how much of it you are using. And full settings would be best for me to help you out

Default Finally!

Wasssssssup??? I think I've solved it goddammit!!! I just ran 4 Passes without any errors at 1000Mhz all set too auto except voltages. +3v on the RAM and all other set to normal.

That got me thinking how come a jump down by 66mhz work but not 1066Mhz? the difference is so small this is just sick. So I checked what settings was set by auto on 1000Mhz. "Static tRead Value" was changed from 6-5 but most impotently "Static tRead Phase Adjust" was changed from 0-1 so that was the problem.

Everything working good so far. Gonna do a final test tonight just to be 100%, now running at "Performance Enhanced with Extreme"

I have a couple of more questions :)

1. Fsb/dram 1:1 is the best right? so 2:3 is pretty good right?
    2. It seems I didn't had to raise voltages on MCH but am wondering if Memtest86+ put the same load on the RAM/MCH as if I where to play a heavy game for example? or something that would really stress the MCH Bridge?
    3. According to CPU-Z Recommended/max? voltages is 2.0v and am at about 2.20v is this a problem?

(I want to thank you for all that time you spent trying to help me really appreciated, couldn't have done it without you, I still have a lot to learn)
    Attached Images Attached Images New, better bios needed it's time =)-crucial-jpg 
    Last edited by Blackkatt; 11-22-2008 at 12:36 AM. Reason: updated

1:1 used to be the best, but not anymore. Fastest FSB usually will always come out on top no matter what

Ya, a game may put more of a strain on things for sure, especially with 4x1GB

Well, 2.0 is the max warrantied on the new chips, but there is no way for them to tell unless you physically burn them. I would imagine you for sure do not need 2.2 and if you think you do or find you Have to use it I suggest you put a fan directly on the ram or you will be RMA'n pretty quickly. 2.0-2.1 should work fine. You may need 2.1 at 1066

Performance enhance extreme overrides your settings and voltages so best to keep that on standard and set things yourself

What you are seeing for static tread in the BIOS on the left is/was not used likely at all, that is just what the board either picked up for stock 800Mhz from the chip or what it had used in the BIOS at one time or another. You can see in both your above screenshots 8 is used (Performance level)

Phase adjust should always be on Auto

Thanks for the kind words, and GLAD to see you are getting somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    1:1 used to be the best, but not anymore. Fastest FSB usually will always come out on top no matter what

Ya, a game may put more of a strain on things for sure, especially with 4x1GB

Well, 2.0 is the max warrantied on the new chips, but there is no way for them to tell unless you physically burn them. I would imagine you for sure do not need 2.2 and if you think you do or find you Have to use it I suggest you put a fan directly on the ram or you will be RMA'n pretty quickly. 2.0-2.1 should work fine. You may need 2.1 at 1066

Performance enhance extreme overrides your settings and voltages so best to keep that on standard and set things yourself

What you are seeing for static tread in the BIOS on the left is/was not used likely at all, that is just what the board either picked up for stock 800Mhz from the chip or what it had used in the BIOS at one time or another. You can see in both your above screenshots 8 is used (Performance level)

Phase adjust should always be on Auto

Thanks for the kind words, and GLAD to see you are getting somewhere!
    Your welcome

I tested all day yesterday and I have not managed to get the memory to run at 1066MHz. If it was not "static tread" or "Phase adjust" There must be a limit when you try to run at 1066MHz with a 4x1024 setup or something similar. Running memory at 1000Mhz is not a problem. either with Performance Enchanted: Standard or Extreme with 5-5-5-15 +3v = ~ 2.10V

I had just done some testing when I noticed that the memory voltage had change. I checked my settings in bios, +3v was set but instead of giving me ~2.10v as it did before, it now gave me ~2.20v...bug right? So I changed to +2v I save and reboot. Well inside in Windows Everest now shows 2.10v ok fine it works who cares the let the bug be right? BUT after about 10min the voltage had change to 2.05v!!! So now I have to reboot and change to +3v AGAIN! wtf?

What should be the aim when overclocking? is it to have as high FSB as possible and run the memory at the highest possible Mhz? or should I have as narrow timmings as possible?
    Last edited by Blackkatt; 11-22-2008 at 08:35 PM. Reason: edited, updated

About your +.3 being 2.2, that was likely because you set performance enhance to something other then standard so not a bug

Na, you can run 4x1 at 1066+, maybe you just have a setting to tight or something. Not sure since you did not post full settings. If you want me to have a look post what works for you at 1000 and then what fails at 1066 and I will see if I can tell you why.

Well you would have to benchmark both ways to see which is better for you as far as faster FSB or tighter ram.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    About your +.3 being 2.2, that was likely because you set performance enhance to something other then standard so not a bug

Na, you can run 4x1 at 1066+, maybe you just have a setting to tight or something. Not sure since you did not post full settings. If you want me to have a look post what works for you at 1000 and then what fails at 1066 and I will see if I can tell you why.

Well you would have to benchmark both ways to see which is better for you as far as faster FSB or tighter ram.
    I'm pretty sure Performance enhance was standard. It's now extreame.

RAM voltages is now much more dynamic ranging from 2.0-2.18V at (+2v) with the F12e beta. So far np but am still afraid my RAM get's to much voltages and sooner or later they will break.

My Settings for 1000MHz

Robust Graphics Booster__________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio _________________ [9]
    Fine Clock Ratio _________________ [0.5] (not available)
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)_________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)_____ [3.00] (No strapping aka nothing after or before)
    DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)______[Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Extreme] or [Standard] still wont boot at 1066Mhz

CAS Latency Time________________(5)
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay________ (5)
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay______ (5)
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)___________ (15)

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ [Auto] (3)
    Rank Write to READ Delay_________ [Auto] (3)
    Write to Precharge Delay__________ [Auto] (6)
    Refresh to ACT Delay_____________ [Auto] (52)
    Read to Precharge Delay___________[Auto] (3)
    Static tRead Value________________[Auto] (4)
    Static tRead Phase Adjust__________[Auto] (0)

System Voltage Control___________ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control_________ [+0.2V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_________ [Normal]
    FSB OverVoltage Control__________ [Normal]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control_______ [Normal]
    CPU Voltage Control_____________ [1.27500]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Disabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)...............: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ..........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology.................: [Enabled]

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect............: [Enabled]

My Settings for 918MHz

Robust Graphics Booster__________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio _________________ [9]
    Fine Clock Ratio _________________ [0.5] (not available)
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)_________ [367]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)_____ [2.50] (No strapping aka nothing after or before)
    DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)______[Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Extreme] or [Standard] still wont boot at 1066Mhz

CAS Latency Time________________(5)
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay________ (5)
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay______ (5)
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)___________ (15)

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ [Auto] (3)
    Rank Write to READ Delay_________ [Auto] (3)
    Write to Precharge Delay__________ [Auto] (6)
    Refresh to ACT Delay_____________ [Auto] (52)
    Read to Precharge Delay___________[Auto] (3)
    Static tRead Value________________[Auto] (6)
    Static tRead Phase Adjust__________[Auto] (1)

System Voltage Control___________ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control_________ [+0.2V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_________ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control__________ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control_______ [+0.2V]
    CPU Voltage Control_____________ [1.40625V]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Disabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)...............: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ..........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology.................: [Enabled]

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect............: [Enabled]

(Btw MemSet can cause Vista to boot extremely slow. There is a problem with some port dll)
    Attached Images Attached Images New, better bios needed it's time =)-working_settings-jpg 
    Last edited by Blackkatt; 11-30-2008 at 12:37 AM.

NO, the max voltage shown in that image is 2.0V 0.1V

Memset has nothing to do with vista booting or vista startup?

That is Unless you are trying to use it to Save setting to be set at bootup, which you should not be at all.

It should only be used to apply a setting, not save!

Please read above post aswell . As for Memset it can slow down booting of vista ALOT! I discovered this sometime ago and I troubleshoot it, logs from event viewer told me that a .dll used by MemSet (according to google) was causeing problem and so on.

"That is Unless you are trying to use it to Save setting to be set at bootup, which you should not be at all"

- Not doing any of that.

"Memset has nothing to do with vista booting or vista startup?"

- It's reading values from RAM at startup, this can cause slowdowns I guess. Anyhow something with the program messes things up. I just try d the Beta version and this seems fine.
    Last edited by Blackkatt; 11-30-2008 at 01:50 AM.

Then you must be setting Memset to be a startup item or something? Or like I said trying to save a setting to be loaded at startup because memset does not run at startup, nor does it load a .dll at startup unless you set it to.

It only runs normally when you click the .exe, unless otherwise set to like I said

I use and have used several old versions and many new versions in vista 32 and 64, nothing from memset runs at startup unless you set it as a startup item or click save instead of apply

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information