Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 997 of 1087 FirstFirst ... 49789794798799599699799899910071047 ... LastLast
Results 9,961 to 9,970 of 10862

Thread: GIGABYTE Latest Beta BIOS

Rojer64 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: GIGABYTE Latest Beta BIOS

Just checked the cpu compatibility list : Broadwell not part of it ! That was unexpected ....
    RMA on the way :(

Trying to find the best CPU, as I do not wish to stay with the Pentium any longer, I made a spreadsheet with platform, main specs and some prices (France, Sep. 2015) with a handy rating field. That might help people like me. Feel free to download, comment or edit if you have relevant items to share or want to sort/filter to your liking.

Sad and disappointed. I hope the BIOS team comes through but I don't see it happen any time soon. SOC and Broadwell... Oh my.
    Last edited by Rojer64; 09-12-2015 at 10:01 PM.

Default Re: Gigabyte latest bios

Quote Originally Posted by Rojer64 View Post
    Is the SOC FORCE just unable to deal properly with Broadwell, as mine seems to be? Will it stay so ? Should I return the processor (3 days left before return window closes)
    Or is there some ongoing work at Gigabyte with Z97 and Broadwell that might benefit this mobo too ?

I have not opened a ticket with Gigabyte support yet, as I am in serious time constraint. I believe I might need to make a decision before the CPU RMA window closes and support will not deal, I suppose, with beta...
    The question is, will Gigabyte ever support Broadwell properly with any of their boards? The bios support in common is horrible at Gigabyte, nothing but hot air, but no solutions, only delaying tactics. The Gigabyte support knows since 2 months the problems, i told them, they answered they will forward it to taiwan since then till now we are no longer on speaking terms.
    Gigabyte has slackened massively over the last three years.
    The Z97 SOC has even without Broadwell bugs, the heaviest one is the cold boot bug, where suddenly the mainboard won't start like there is no current or your power supply is gone.
    It happens to me too, only one time and from nowhere.
    Only clearing the CMOS will help. Then it has regular problems with rebooting when it was completely shut down with some USB devices attached. You have to wait about 1 minute before you can reboot or you will be lost in a continous bootloop. Only enabling fast boot with partial usb initialization will help.
    The development in taiwan has no clues nor enough ressources or competence. It seems some business people are ruining this company with bad allocation of financial ressources. My Z97 SOC Mainboard will be the last one of Gigabyte, if there is no full supporting bios till the end of this year. PCIe won't work either correctly, it hangs always in energy save mode which means 1.1 instead of 2.0 oder 3.0.
    You should keep broadwell and send the ****ty Gigabyte mainboard back. You can reason it with that on website of Gigabyte Broadwell Support is advertised, also PCIe 3.0. Because it won't work with both beta bios and you need the beta bios, because with the latest official bios version on their website claiming for Broadwell support the mainboard won't even boot when a discrete graphics is in the system
    This says everything about status of Gigabyte at the moment, in Austria we call this "Sauladen".
    Go instead for a Asus like the MAXIMUS VII HERO with bios 2015/07/31, sad but true.
    *Rant off*
    Last edited by Hell of a Member; 09-12-2015 at 11:23 PM.

I have no quarrel with Gigabyte, as I found their products well designed + fairly priced and I like their customer policy and interaction better than that of Asus.

I quit MSi with their x58 mobos which really made me angry -like you seem to be with GA right now, possibly with good reason. The SOC mobos are nice pieces of gear at terrific prices; no competition here. You shouldn't give up that easily.

I fail to see how your cold boot bug is not a defect worthy of RMA'ing the board ? Are we talking Xtreme cooling here ? In that case you might have picked the wrong board... Same with USB boot; that's more a sign of hardware defect than a bios issue imo. And still falls in the RMA category to me. I have all sorts of USB devices attached at al ltimes (even added a USB3 daughter board on a PIC3 slot) and I never came accross such a thing, whatever fancy bios settings I tried.

In the end, I have made my SOC Force mobo jump through hoops these last months and I found it second to none in stability and compatibility. That is until Broadwell. Which it still supports rather well at stock clocks, btw. Normally I would not give up that easy as I really like both the board and cpu but I have little hope of anyone investing any kind of resource in further supporting 65W, end of life chips with that board. If so, I would definitely give it another try. Maybe I'll just sell the board and pick one with great BDW support. Technically I could RMA it as well, since it was purchased with Broadwell in mind and "fith generation Intel processors" was proudly displayed on all Gigabyte and retailers banners, specifically for that very board.

I read that Asus BIOS must flash with Windows on at list one, famous, z97 mobo (Z797A?), otherwise OC won't do either. That's Intel's IME stuff at play; thank you Intel. I tried flashing from Windows (with my horrified consent) in case my board fell into the same trap. To no avail...

You might be right that the "suits" are damaging the company: I have sadly witnessed it happen over and over. People counting the beans ruling over those actually growing them... I must say that few people are complaining with Gigabyte though. Mostly Asus fanboys. Geeks need to be fans sometimes...

I would still prefer dealing with Gigabyte than Asus, as my experience over the many* years has been positive with them and I find Asus policy somewhat too restrictive for me.

In the end, it's a sad start for such an amazing breakthrough in consumer grade electronics : a socketed cpu with good enough dGpu with sub-notebook-like TPD and workstation performance. how did it happen ?

To end my part with this specific incident, let me say that I will check whether Broadwell support is improved on GA boards and if this can be ported to the SOC line. In which case, I'll definitely get another chip : it got me that impressed. Now I wouldn't trade the SOC Force for any other z97 mobo, I have use for it all, including the OC brace, deadly useful in a custom audio rack.
    Last edited by Rojer64; 09-13-2015 at 12:01 AM.

So that RAM sticks are configured / setup to be within spec too? Just a reminder that broadwell only supposed to work at DDR3L voltages. I'm not saying that's yous guys problem in this specific instance. It's just another avenue / other things to check up on...

You know I'm so glad to have waited the extra 1 month for Skylake. I returned my Z97 SOC board back to amazon, got a full refund within the 30 day window. Now have an i5-6600K with the ga z170 gaming 3.

yep, ddr3l, just ordered for this cjip. Not sure it's mandatory though. I still wouldn't go over 1.50v, which is supported btw. You'll be fine with skylake. A bit early for me and I don't like the price with mobo +ddr4 + so so dgp. Big disappointment with GA and Broadwell ultimately: this is an awesome piece of silicon. Hope someone jumps in and makes us a proper bios to deliver as advertised for months by Gigabyte !

stasio is online now GIGABYTE Elite

The best things to do is to contact GB Technical Support and explain your issue with Broadwell CPU.

In the mean time ,I have latest Broadwell CPU Microcode Rev.12 (if helps),attached bellow and try to flash
    latest ME firmware 9.1.32.1002 in BIOS.
    Last edited by stasio; 09-13-2015 at 09:19 AM.
    GA-Z170X-SOC Force , Kaby Lake...
    GA-Z97X
    -SOC Force ,
    Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.7 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG
    @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 8.1 x64;
    Win 10 x64

Quote Originally Posted by stasio View Post
    The best things to do is to contact GB Technical Support and explain your issue with Broadwell CPU. In the mean time ,I have latest Broadwell CPU Microcode Rev.12 (if helps),attached bellow and try to flash latest ME firmware 9.1.32.1002 in BIOS.
    Thanks, that would help if I knew what to do with a cpu microcode.

I'm glad that the latest ME firmware can be flashed in f8d. Unfortunately, this is where I started from, resulting in boot failure + wrong readings + backup kick-in when "windows overclock".

We are way beyond the incompatibility limit and well above the point where a final customer should troubleshoot themselves. Besides, the cpu not being in the compatibility list kind of killed it. I appreciate your efforts though. would I still be that guy, I would jump in and fix/break things, for fun;.Not so much at this point...

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Rojer64; 09-13-2015 at 02:54 PM. Reason: line breaks are still broken in FF !!!

Hi. I have a question about these beta BIOS:

How can I see a rolling changelog of what is actually fixed / improved in these updates? When I go to the 1st page here. Then there is a link for me to download the latest BIOS file(s) for my board. Which is the z170 gaming 3. But inside that archive file is just the BIOS binary file itself. There is no changelog or release notes to actually tell me / give me any informed choice that things have been added since the version I happen to already be running. That is a bad practice for such updates. Especially for a Firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojer64 View Post
    Thanks, that would help if I knew what to do with a cpu microcode.

I'm glad that the latest ME firmware can be flashed in f8d. Unfortunately, this is where I started from, resulting in boot failure + wrong readings + backup kick-in when "windows overclock".

We are way beyond the incompatibility limit and well above the point where a final customer should troubleshoot themselves. Besides, the cpu not being in the compatibility list kind of killed it. I appreciate your efforts though. would I still be that guy, I would jump in and fix/break things, for fun;.Not so much at this point...

Thanks a lot.
    Broadwell has a very well performance per watt, better then Skylake. And sometimes better performance if the application is sensitive to the EDRAM.
    You should give a try with Asus one. It is the only vendor which has the newest microcode integrated in their newest bios. The user "Fugger" from www.xtremesystems.org has with his Maximus VII Gene even better overclocking results thanks to the newer microcode.
    It's a shame that Asus is the only vendor who inserted he newer microcode and ME firmware in the bioses of some Mainboards from their Z97 lineup. Microcode and ME firmware is long available, but every manufacturer but Asus is too lazy to integrate them or it is pure intention to push the mediocre Skylake. Mediocre when considering the former high expectations and that you will have to buy a expensive Z170 board and invest in DDR4.<cite class="_Rm bc"></cite>

Yeah I was one of the people who found it a hard choice. And didn't want to get Skylake. But I did in the end and am not unhappy / in regret about it. I don't fully agree with all your comment being so black and white. It's not. But there is some truth in it.

For example the power effeciency comment. In particular, if comparing the Skylake i5 TDP to the Broadwell i7 TDP. But then I don't worry too much. And between all of those CPUs (and i5 / i7 versions). The performance is 'near enough' about the same most circumstances. You'd really have to be running some specific benchmark to actually notice anything. Including the 4790K in that list.

Minor point:

It has been reported that the Skylake's EDRAM cache mode implementation isn't quite the same as Broadwell. They changed how it works a bit. Too bad about the IGP though. GT2 is a dog. Intel are not winning any fans or friends by witholding a Skylake Desktop GT4e part.

Quote Originally Posted by Hell of a Member View Post
    Mediocre when considering the former high expectations and that you will have to buy a expensive Z170 board and invest in DDR4.<cite class="_Rm bc"></cite>
    Broadwell may work with standard DDR3. However the recommended DDR3L (low voltage) is about the same price anyway. I got my DDR4 LPX 2400 (16 GB) with good timings for 80. Getting a crucial ballistix DDR3L for Broadwell instead of that would have cost me almost the same amount of money.

And it is a similar story with the mobos. A Z97 SOC (for Broadwell) would have cost me 105. And not actually worked properly. Wheras my GA Z170 Gaming 3 cost me 122. The difference is hardly earth-shattering. And to buy a USB 3.1 add-in card and 2x m.2 PCIe adapter as accessories would have made the Z97 option more expensive to include those same features.

So it's kindda 'meh'. Either option seems good to me. Too bad about the Broadwell support. I agree those motherboard vendors not integrating the Intel microcode - it's not good of them. I myself would have been one angry customer, if had gone fully down the Broadwell route. Maybe they were too all busy working on many superfluous Z170 boards to make it a priority... Or maybe because there was practically nobody buying the Broadwell SKUs. Everyone still keeps buying the 4790K / similar. Even now.

Thread Information