Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DES application issues

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: DES application issues

The LEDs are flashings likely because you either have Smart Backup enabled, or as they are Supposed to flash with DES installed and running

Ya, I do see what you mean though for sure! No, I dont use it and have not tested it out yet either as I am a overclocker

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    The LEDs are flashings likely because you either have Smart Backup enabled, or as they are Supposed to flash with DES installed and running

Ya, I do see what you mean though for sure! No, I dont use it and have not tested it out yet either as I am a overclocker
    I was referring to the power LED on the front of my case and not the LED's on the motherboard which are meant to be lit when they are actived by the DES software.

I have flashed back to F6b again and my power LED is working normally again. I have available all my CPU time for things that I want to do rather than something which I don't want. It's just a pity that Gigabyte don't provide Bioses without DES Advanced so people can choose. I bet most people, particularly power users and overclockers would not want it slowing their systems down as much as it does.

You say you don't use it, but if you have a DES Advanced Bios installed then your system will, if it is like motherboard, be wasting lots of CPU time, in the region of 20% on hardware interrupts to work the DES Advanced features. The DES Advanced software is only to set the features but is not required for DES Advanced to function. Your system will be wasting 20% of your CPU power by just having a DES Advanced Bios installed.

I have tried 3 windows installs and 3 different Bioses and the results are as I say.

I had my system overclocked to 3.5GHz earlier while video encoding. The encoding speed was significantly lower than a very similar encoding I did a week ago when my CPU was clocked to 3.2GHz. That's how bad these Bioses are.

But putting the system into a standby state does seem to stop the high CPU utilization. I stopped the encoding and I put my system into standby and then resumed it and the CPU usage had dropped significantly. I then started the encoding again and the encoding speed was faster than it had been the week before.

So your overclocked system is behaving like a system with a 20% lower clock speed because of your Bios. That is if it works the same as my motherboard which I suspect it will. You have no choice in it whether you want DES Advanced or not.

Just check your CPU time while your system is doing nothing, or check your processes using Process Explorer which is on the microsoft or sysinternals website. There is an interrupt process that shows, check how much CPU time it is using. It should be less than 1%.
    Last edited by RedDwarf; 11-09-2008 at 01:46 PM.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Intel Q9450 2.66GHz 8 x 333, 8 x 438 (3.5GHz when overclocked) 1.35V with Intel Power saving enabled
    Windows XP Pro SP2 32 bit
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Gigabyte GV-RX385512H HD3850 512MB
    Western Digital WD5000ABYS 500GB SATA hard drive
    Western Digital WD5000YS 500GB SATA hard drive - disconnected
    Seagate 250GB SATA hard drive
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB
    BenQ 1640 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    NEC 3520 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    Pinnacle Dual DVB-T PCI Tuner
    Mystique Dual PCI-e DVB-S2
    mCubed T Balancer Fan controller controlling 6 case fans and CPU fan - CPU fan recently changed after system freezing started with new higher speed CPU fan.
    minifan blowing through northbridge

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I was referring to the power LED on the front of my case and not the LED's on the motherboard which are meant to be lit when they are actived by the DES software.
    So was I. But I did mean case hard drive activity light not the Power light though.

I will test DES advanced this week with 2 BIOS's on my board and see how it does.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information