Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DES application issues

Default DES application issues

Hello all.

I have a EX38-DS4 motherboard which has the dynamic energy saver feature.

I have the DES application installed (last version "B8.0129.1") and it seems to me that the application sometimes is "buggy", for example:

- sometimes after turning on the energy saver function (big round button on the DES panel) and minimize the panel to the system tray, I get a ballon message over the DES icon in the system tray saying something like: "E/S function is not enable, click here to enable it", although I HAVE turned it on :S

- other times, after windows boots up, the panel just sticks in the middle of the screen, with energy saving function OFF, although I HAVE selected "Always run on next reboot" option in the tray icon. After I turn the energy savings on and minimize to system tray I sometimes get the message I mentioned in my above paragraph.

I tried the DES application in Windows XP Pro, Vista 32-bit and Vista 64-bit and noticed these bugs in the application.

I just wanted some feedback from people who have also experienced this issues with the DES application so I can rest my mind and be assured that these happens to everyone and not just me :)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Default Re: DES application issues

I get the same problem with it saying it's not enabled. But once enabled it stays that way unless I get a system crash/reboot or something similar then it will be disabled.

I have not experience a problem with it sticking in the middle of the screen at boot up. Are you closing it using the close button or the minimize button? I use the close button (X).
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Intel Q9450 2.66GHz 8 x 333, 8 x 438 (3.5GHz when overclocked) 1.35V with Intel Power saving enabled
    Windows XP Pro SP2 32 bit
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Gigabyte GV-RX385512H HD3850 512MB
    Western Digital WD5000ABYS 500GB SATA hard drive
    Western Digital WD5000YS 500GB SATA hard drive - disconnected
    Seagate 250GB SATA hard drive
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB
    BenQ 1640 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    NEC 3520 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    Pinnacle Dual DVB-T PCI Tuner
    Mystique Dual PCI-e DVB-S2
    mCubed T Balancer Fan controller controlling 6 case fans and CPU fan - CPU fan recently changed after system freezing started with new higher speed CPU fan.
    minifan blowing through northbridge

Quote Originally Posted by RedDwarf View Post
    I get the same problem with it saying it's not enabled. But once enabled it stays that way unless I get a system crash/reboot or something similar then it will be disabled.

I have not experience a problem with it sticking in the middle of the screen at boot up. Are you closing it using the close button or the minimize button? I use the close button (X).
    I use the close button too.

I only experienced the "sticking in the middle of the screen at boot-up in disable mode" issue when using Vista (32 and 64bit). In XP Pro I only notice the other problem you mentioned having aswell (it saying it's not enabled when you use close button (X) although you have enabled it).

So I guess it's just the application being buggy? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sueisfine View Post

So I guess it's just the application being buggy? :)
    Seems that way.

I have tried a newer Bios which is meant to enable DES Advanced and I un-installed the DES software that we have both been using and installed the newer DES Advanced version.

But........there was a massive amount of CPU usage while my system was meant to be idling. 20 to 30% CPU usage when doing nothing which is just like playing a High Definition 1080p video in terms of CPU usage. When DES Advanced is not installed it is 0 to 2%. So I did not stay with that for very long.

The high CPU usage means that the CPU never idles so the power saving never really kicks in. The CPU throttling was always showing as at maximum and it never reduced like it does in the version that you and I are currently using. Even though the regular DES software does show the CPU throttling as moving up and down, the DES Advanced version never went down at all.

So it may be a bit buggy, but at least it works....sorta lol
    Last edited by RedDwarf; 11-07-2008 at 02:24 AM.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Intel Q9450 2.66GHz 8 x 333, 8 x 438 (3.5GHz when overclocked) 1.35V with Intel Power saving enabled
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB
    mCubed T Balancer Fan controller controlling 6 case fans and CPU fan - CPU fan recently changed after system freezing started with new higher speed CPU fan.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDwarf View Post
    Seems that way.

I have tried a newer Bios which is meant to enable DES Advanced and I un-installed the DES software that you have been using and installed the newer DES Advanced version.

But........there was a massive amount of CPU usage while my system was meant to be idling. 20 to 30% CPU usage when doing nothing which is just like playing a High Definition 1080p video in terms of CPU usage. When DES Advanced is not installed it is 0 to 2%. So I did not stay with that for very long.

The high CPU usage means that the CPU never idles so the power saving never really kicks in. The CPU throttling was always showing as at maximum and it never reduced like it does in the version that you and I are currently using. Even though the regular DES software does show the CPU throttling as moving up and down, the DES Advanced version never went down at all.

So it may be a bit buggy, but at least it works....sorta lol
    Thanks a lot for your posts and feedback on this issue RedDwarf, I just wanted to make sure it was not only me experiencing that funny DES app behavior :)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

It only saves you a few $$ a year anyway, and if you overclock it is pretty much a moot point.

But I do get what you are saying about the errors, not sure what to suggest though?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    But I do get what you are saying about the errors, not sure what to suggest though?
    Do you mean you experienced those errors too? Well I guess there isn't much to suggest here since apparently the DES app is indeed buggy.

Only thing we can hope for is Gigabyte releasing an new version of the DES app with those bugs fixed.

You think that's a possibility ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sueisfine View Post
    Do you mean you experienced those errors too? Well I guess there isn't much to suggest here since apparently the DES app is indeed buggy.

Only thing we can hope for is Gigabyte releasing an new version of the DES app with those bugs fixed.

You think that's a possibility ?
    I highly doubt it as they have released it's replacement, DES Advanced. But if you use that then you end up with the issue I already mentioned which is why I will not use it.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

They may try to update it, but I would assume it is not at the top of any list. As suggested above, it has been replaced

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    They may try to update it, but I would assume it is not at the top of any list. As suggested above, it has been replaced
    Yes it has but are you aware of the bugs in DES Advanced? Even when not actually using it!

I have been doing some testing with Bioses and found a few things.

I currently have Bios F8a flashed and I am using that, but I have tried F6 which did not fix the standby issues like it was supposed to do. F8a causes my power LED to flash on and off at 4 second intervals, 4 seconds on and 4 seconds off.

I should point out that I don't have the DES Advanced software installed, only the older DES software as I thought that it was the DES Advanced software which was causing the high CPU usage when idling.

After booting my PC and starting process explorer by microsoft/sysinternals here is what it showed for the first two pictures. Notice the very high hardware interrupt CPU usage. I cannot believe Gigabyte released these Bioses with this bug.>

Here are the results AFTER putting my system briefly into standby and then resuming, notice how low the hardware interrupt CPU usage is now. The overall system idling CPU usage is much more like it should be>

It does this on 3 of my windows installs, one of which was only installed a couple of days ago as I mentioned in my ethernet thread.

I do intend sending these pictures to Gigabyte Technical support when I get a chance with a message about the apparent bugs in DES Advanced and the Bioses.
    Last edited by RedDwarf; 11-08-2008 at 03:48 PM.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information