Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Mixing RAM types

Default Mixing RAM types

If I have 2gb (2 x 1gb) running at DDR2 800 4-4-4-15, and I add another 2gb (2 x 1gb) at DDR2 800 4-4-4-12, is this bad? They are running at the same speed, but the timings are different.

Thanks,
    - Eli

Default Re: Mixing RAM types

From my EXP.with running different ram companys causes problems and running at different timming im sure this is not helping with proformance and or stability.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CoolerMaster 932haf
    ASUS P6T DELUVE V2
    Inte I7 920-4.0/4.2
    CoolIt DOMINO A.L.C
    CoolIt DualBay Gpu Cooler
    ASUS 4870-815/1050(crossfire)
    OCZ Platinum6GB DDR3-1600
    WesternDigtal VelociRaptor 300gb
    Corsair THX 750watt
    Vista Premium64sp2
    3DMARK06:28,515
    3DMARK VANTAGE 20,006

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yeap, it will only cause issues. Even often if it is the same brand, sometimes even the same model purchased at different times.

Sure you "May" be able to get any to work together at looser timings and poor performance but you will have more headaches then you want/need and will likely end up corrupting your disk and causing other issues that you may think have nothing to do with the ram.

You may be able to run them both at 800 with 4-4-4-12/15 but they are different chips inside the ram so it is suggested that you not do so. And being that you are going to run 4x1 that is already going to stress your NB so I would advise you get the same exact brand and model/speed/timings for best performance and compatibility

Sounds good, I'll just wait until I really need 4gb, and do 2x2gb, then. I'm not running an OS that can see 4gb, either, heh.

Ya that is a good plan, as 2x2 would be much easier on your system anyway.

2x2 is cheap these days, how much do you have saved already and maybe I can find you some decent 2x2 right now

I just spent money on the 2x1gb last week to set up the system I'm working on, so it is sorta bleh to throw those away. I'm planning to set up a small HTPC system in a few months, though, and I'm going to hope DDR2 is still going to be cheaply priced, even though the i7 is coming out. Or I could just get them and leave them there or something... I've seen recent deals for around $25 for 2x2gb (like this one - Newegg.com - CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory) - what do you think, any other recommendations? I'm not restricted on budget, I just don't want to spend it wastefully if it's not needed, ie, I don't think I'll be needing any fancy expensive type of memory. :)

When you say 2x2 is easier, what do you mean by that? Best case is I'll dual boot with Vista when I have to, but otherwise I am good with 32-bit XP at the moment.
    Last edited by eli2k; 11-07-2008 at 04:25 PM.

Sell them on ebay

2x2 is easier on the Northbridge then 4x1 as there is less strain on the controller.

Well I always suggest Mushkin when asked as I find it to be super flexible and very nice
    Newegg.com - mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Those you linked would be good though as well. What board are you using?

Eep that's somewhat expensive, rebate expires today, okay maybe I'll wait a bit more or something.. =/

I'm using GA-EP45-UD3P board, which you're currently helping me with a problem with the audio driver freezing when coming out of standby in this other thread. I'll be home tomorrow so should be able to post the BIOS settings...

- Eli

Rebate will normally be renewed or changed each week there if you are interested. I see some sales there and at Tiger for various other brands for cheap as well.

I think I saw a crucial sale for 19$ after rebate at NCIX w/ free shipping, but since you are not looking right now I guess it is no biggie

Standby thread, have I commented back on that? I should have as I post a reply in all new threads when I get back in each night. If you see I have not and you have replied Bump the thread and I will for sure get to it

Rebate will normally be renewed or changed each week there if you are interested. I see some sales there and at Tiger for various other brands for cheap as well.

I think I saw a crucial sale for 19$ after rebate at NCIX w/ free shipping, but since you are not looking right now I guess it is no biggie

Standby thread, have I commented back on that? I should have as I post a reply in all new threads when I get back in each night. If you see I have not and you have replied Bump the thread and I will for sure get to it

Thread Information