Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Purchased a GA-MA78GM-S2H need help with memory.

Default Purchased a GA-MA78GM-S2H need help with memory.

This is my first AMD Build ever, I am building a cheap computer that will be able to play WoW and surf the net on my dad's TV.

I purchased the following:
    GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard
    AMD Phenom 8450 Tri-Core Processor
    2x1GB OCZ 1066 Ram
    Seagate 250GBHDD
    LG DVD Drive (Read/Write)
    380Watt Antec Power Supply (should be more than enough for a system this light)

So the problem I'm having is the Memory is being read at 667Mhz instead of it's rated 1066Mhz (which I understand isn't a written standard, but 800mhz is, so why isn't it reading at 800mhz)

When I manually switch it to 800, or 1066mhz (Ungagued?? a new feature for me had no idea what to do with this so I left it the same) it loads but when I get to Vista screen it just goes blank and doesn't load.

When I switch it back to 667mhz it loads fine. I am not sure if this is a memory error, or a board error, but it is really baffling, he just had a dual Knee replacement surgery and he's pretty much going to be doing therapy and laying down for 3 weeks, and I'd like to give him this gift because his current computer is 10 years old, and he currently has a hard time running WoW the way it is.

Thanks for your help/advice.

-ARF77

Default Re: Purchased a GA-MA78GM-S2H need help with memory.

Any help please, this post got buried. Thanks.

My question is the memory clock not showing properly.

be little patient .... you only post for 1 1/2 hours and you expect to have a response ??? wish can help you but don't know anything on AMD motherboard ... never even seen one in person ...

there will be a response but you need patient ... getting free advise .. can't be choosyyy

UPDATE:
    Ok, I found this location
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/...ma78gm-s2h.pdf

I guess I don't understand what any of this means.
    "Due to AMD AM2+ CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is only supported by 1 dimm per channel"
    So I bought 2x1GB that should be ok right?

Also what is 1pcs/2pcs for single-channel/dual-channel?

I guess my question was sort of answered, but what 1066mhz RAM can I buy and have it supported by the motherboard?

Thanks for your help again,

ARF77

i read about this from few forum ... i'm sure Lsdmeasap will have an answer for you ... but try to read in this forum also ... maybe you will find the answer quicker and also other experience on the ram

Quote Originally Posted by godto View Post
    be little patient .... you only post for 1 1/2 hours and you expect to have a response ??? wish can help you but don't know anything on AMD motherboard ... never even seen one in person ...

there will be a response but you need patient ... getting free advise .. can't be choosyyy
    1.) I'm new here
    2.) I posted 13 hours ago, not 1.5 hours ago. There were newer posts than mine that got multiple responses.

I don't appreciate being treated in the manner you treated me in your post. Let the mods deal with me if they don't like me bumping a post, I don't need you coming here and telling me what I deserve and to be patient.

One thing I learn from support forums is only reply if you have something to add. If someone says something you don't like, ignore it. Report it if it's in some violation. I feel my post buried 3 pages deep deserved to be bumped since it was obviously passed up by a mod. Considering he responded to about 30-40 total posts above and below mine.

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt because I do undersand the chance I would be passed up by accident was possible considering there is a lot of traffic here.

i'm sorry if i ofended you .. i though it was 1 1/2 hours .. just the time you poss is when i saw him normally off line ... and he won't go on normally another 3 more hours from now ... and he is very good with all the new post ... i do watch and do see that ... so don't worries about your post got bump. once again sorry

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, sorry about missing this post again man! I really do try to answer ALL new posts each day when I get in, so you are right I somehow must have missed it for sure!

Onto the help........

First off you do want to set that Ganged/Unganged to Ganged for Dual Channel. More info on that here >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/dual...nganged-28369/

As for your 800/667 question. First of all after you built the system did you load and apply optimized defaults in the BIOS and save and apply? If not you MUST. Then it should get picked up as 800. And as you see, you must set it to = 1066 if you want to run that speed.

DO you have a setting called Performance Enhance in there? If so, set that to Standard then you should be ok with all the rest on auto if you want.

Except you will need to manually set the ram voltage, likely it is 2.0-2.1. Check your ram sticker and set accordingly. The BIOS default is 1.8V so for 2.0-2.1 you would be settings either +0.2 or +0.3 respectively

Ya, from your QVL ram list That means to use 1066 in Dual Channel (Both sticks in same color slots, opposite banks 1+3 or 2+4) you cannot use 1066 Speed.

So...

You can either run 1066 in Single channel mode (Same banks (1+2 or 3+4) opposite colors) Like a stick in each slot one and two being opposite colors. This would be and you should set Unganged mode

Or You can run Dual channel (Ganged mode again to be clear) and just have the ram sticks run at 800 speed

So if he does need more Ram performance you could either get 2x2Gb 800Mhz sticks for him, or run what you have with tighter timings. Being that it is 1066 ram rated to run likely at 555-15/18 since you are underclocking it you could most likely use much tighter main timings of 444-12/15 (And subtimings if you set them manually) .

Ya know, I went and look at your boards page here (Same applies to all revisions) >>>
    GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev.1.0)

And I do not see why the QVL says what it says about 1066 because the page specs say Dual channel 1066? And I see users at newegg saying they use it fine as well >>>
    Customer Reviews Of GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Sorry, My slowness I suppose! Told You I dont know much about AMD. It depends on what CPU you have wether you can use Dual Channel 1066 or not is all. And your CPU DOES Support 1066 Dual Channel ram it is just some of the older AMD's do not >>>
    Model Number and Feature Comparisons - AMD Phenomâ„¢ Processors

So you will be fine with my initial thoughts.

Sorry again about the missed post and late reply! Please do let me know if you need anymore help or have any other questions or issues with getting your setup running and I will try to help best I can

Thread Information