Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nightmare with GA-MA78GPM-DS2H build!!!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Nightmare with GA-MA78GPM-DS2H build!!!

Hmm, still sounds drive (CD or Hard) related to me. It cannot be your CPU as if your CPU would not boot if it was incompatible really. But I do see that board IS on it's first BIOS release only, so ya maybe a BIOS update will get you going smoother. I do see that CPU is not in the support list at all, so it may never work with that board >>>
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=2859

Have you tried different cables and Drives (CD) to install with, I see you said you tried a IDE install

You never answered me about the disk, do you burn your own???? I see very similar install errors with disks that have been burnt to fast.

Well, I dont know what else to say... Hope your supply guy can get you a answer

I have a MA78GPM-DS2H with and AMD 4850e (I think you meant this, not 4805e as I can't see that on the AMD site).

I did install Vista Home Premium as I wanted the current Media Centre.

Everything just worked first time, hardware, the Vista install, the TV card, the HDTV interface and so on. I think the drivers were in Vista SP1, so no F6? Easiest build ever for me so keep trying.

Hmm, thanks! I wondered why I could not find it in the list, seems like that guy who he is working with to try to get this fixed is really trying to pull a fast one over on him for sure.

Did you see what he said to him about he came here and found posts about that CPU not being compatible

Thanks for catching that! Here is the threads here about that CPU and all work fine with that CPU (And to mogwai28) you will see that NONE of them had any CPU issues or power issues at your guy told you he found here. >>>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-m...-any-os-27680/

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-m...ng-bios-27726/

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-m...-issues-27533/

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-m...problem-28391/

Oops, yeah, I do mean an AMD 4850e.
    Sorry about that, this computer is driving me mad, didn't spot that mistake.

The WinXP disk I burnt my own a long time again, should be on the slowest speed. It happens with my Win2000 disk so that is why I don't think its the media. But I will try and borrow a different WinXP disk off my friend later this week to make sure.

I have tried installing Windows using an IDE DVD writer and its the same errors, but I could try another one, I have plenty.

I have looked at those posts Lsdmeasap but my board is the DS2H one, so it should be slighty different right? That S2H board has a few BIOS revisions to it. Also I have noticed that there is a REV 2.0 for my DS2H board just come out, do you think that one maybe better. Thanks for your hard work in helping me so far.

@jbrucegraham
    At least I know now there is someone who has gotten this combination to work. Would you mind posting your full specification please?
    I realised after buying my gear that the Corsair Memory I have is not on the Gigabyte support list, but assumed it may still work. Would be interested to see if you have got a full working system with memory not on the list.

I may also have to get Vista to try.

My old systems IDE Hard drive with WinXP and all my data didn't work before. I'll probably transfer all of that off it and format that and see if it helps.

As the computer shop will not accept the board is at fault I have no way to send it back. Is there anyway to contact Gigabyte themselves apart from the Technical Service Zone on the website. If I can't get it working soon, I think I'll have to buy another board from a different brand. They have charged me enough to vaguely "troubleshoot" the problem at the shop.

Re my working system. Mine is the DS2H version 1 board. From memory it is exactly the same as the cheaper board but adds 128MB of sideport graphics memory. I used the original BIOS. I also used 2 sticks of 1GB inexpensive AData DDR2-800 memory - also not on Gigabytes approved list - runs memtest all night. I haven't overclocked (i did check that everything ran OK with a 10% overclock just to see if I had a safety margin, then returned it to stock). It sits under my TV (HDMI) used mainly as a High def TV tuner and recorder.

Someone suggested you take the board out of the case and check it again. I didn't see you report what happened then - definitely worth a try if the shop made it work outside the box.

Other parts of the config:
    Antec Minuet tiny case with inbuilt 350W supply (to fit in my TV cabinet).
    Seagate 500 GB sata disk. (I think I set it up for AHCI for hot swap esata, but no RAID)
    Logitech ex90 wireless keyboard and mouse.
    cheap Leadtek DTV1000S PCI tuner card, cheap DLink wireless G PCI card

Hello, actually from post no.10 I have been trying with the motherboard outside of the tower.

I'm leaving for my friends house now to borrow his WinXP disk to try. See how that goes.

Managed to get a pristine copy of Windows XP Pro from my friend.

Tried the install, partition created, formatted with NTFS (Quick). Windows Files copied over, PC Reboots..... get WinXP Pro logo.

Then get Check Disk, this completes, reboots and Check Disk again. This completes and then get:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

AGAIN. This was done again on my other Hard Drive, same message.

I then dug out my IDE Hard drive which has a working OS on, same message. I plug my IDE Hard drive into my Macbook with an IDE to USB adapter and the data is on the drive and is fine.

I'm off to the computer shop (no not that one) tomorrow to buy some cheapo RAM to see if that makes a difference. I think I have proven that it is not the Disk Drive or the Media, as my IDE Hard drive with working XP on is coming up with the same message.

So other little tidbits, if I reset the computer sometimes I get:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
    The registry cannot load the hive (file):
    \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
    or its log or alternate.
    It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

This was this afternoon, after I came back from work, around 12.20am. I turned the computer on and got a new error, its too long to type here, but all of my problems have been captured on my digital camera.

The error heading is:

TRAP 0000000E ============== PAGE FAULT ===========

Lots of other mumble jumble underneath which makes no sense.

I've also in the last few minutes checked my 2 Samsung (320GB, 500GB) SATA Hard Drives when connected up to my Macbook via the SATA to USB adapter and all Windows files are accessible. So these 2 Hard drives are working fine too.

Does this help/shed any light on my problems?

Wish I knew AMD but Sounds like maybe Ram settings are causing corrupt data? Can you post your full settings you are using jbrucegraham so maybe that will help him along, SATA Disk page settings as well?

Have got some new cheapo memory:
    DANE-ELEC VALUE 1GB DDR2-800MHz (PC2-6400) Non-ECC CL5 240 PIN DIMM
    Tried it with WinXP Pro, partitioned and formatted HD fine. Copys Windows Files ok, reboots and get WinXP Pro Logo, then Check Disk. Reboots then get:

STOP: c0000021a {Fatal System Error}.... etc

Reset PC, get Windows Setup, 39 minutes to completion page. Then get a popup:

The file or directory is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

Click OK, then after a few setup pages later get:

The file or directory C:\WINDOWS\system32\quartz.dll is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

Click OK, and setup finishes and it reboots to same error message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I have tried the new cheapo memory in another slot and also tried NTFS/NTFS (Quick) and also FAT. Same thing.

I have an old PC Tower lying around and connected the speaker cable to my Gigabyte board as my Antec Mini-P180 does not have a built in speaker. When the computer is turned on, it makes the correct 1 beep sound for boot up.

I have no idea what else to do now. Should I test it on a different Power Supply. Is there any symptoms of a bad PSU in everything I have detailed here? Also I don't know about RAM settings, but are there any other timings I should do?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information