Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nightmare with GA-MA78GPM-DS2H build!!!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Nightmare with GA-MA78GPM-DS2H build!!!

It does not sound like a PSU issue to me, you can test another if you have one or can borrow one. But I would not go buy one just to test.

Post me your ram settings bios images and I will see if anything looks off. 2x1 or even 1GB should be fine in auto (Aside from voltage may need manually set) but it is usually only 2x2 or more that you need to adjust things from Auto.

Maybe you just got bad board, it happens. Can you easily RMA to where you bought it, if so you may want to do that before you are out of time

Lsdmeasap asked me to give you my settings. Sorry for the delay but I have been away for a week. My config was in an earlier post in this thread.
    I am using Vista 32 (Home Premium) SP1 which includes all the AHCI drivers.
    I set everything to optimised defaults (F7) then had to change a few things.
    First screen (MIT) load opt defaults F7 (it set ddr2 volts to 1.97V and VCore to 1.23V measured by the PC Health Monitor BIOS screen)

I disabled the floppy (don't have one)

I have a wireless USB keyboard, so I had to enable that.

I set on-chip SATA type to AHCI (because I want to use eSATA)
    I set SATA port 4/5 to As SATA type

I enabled SMART

If you send me a private email with your email address I will send screen shots.

S3 sleep works beautifully after I disabled USB wakeup (my usb wireless keyboard sent noise sometimes)

I do not see any settings listed. I would like images of MIT section or you can manually write them all out, sorry I dont have a Template for AMD Systems to help with that though

So, are you all up and running now then, since you say S3 is working I would assume so?

I dont pass out my email, but you can just post images here if you want, use img tags >>>
    [img]Direct Url of Image here[/img]

I just wanted to see if any ram timings looked off, but since S3 is working for you sounds to me like all has to be in working order now

OK. So I feal your pain. I have a new build with a GA-MA78GPM-DS2H with a AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core Processor AM2 2.4GHZ 4MB 95W; Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 1066 Dual Channel Kit, CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W PS. I started with a 1TB Seagate HD. I installed windows XP MCE 2005 first but was having some overlay issues with the ATI video card and the old mediacenter application (but thats another issue). So I installed vista and was happy for about a week. I turned off the computer last week, and when I turned it back on the HD failed to initilize. I originaly installed it using AHCI. After the failure, when the drive was being recognized by the controler, it would just freeze. I switched to native IDE, and the computer would not boot at all. So I tryed a known good drive. It recognized fine. My Diagnosis....Bad HardDrive. Well, I returned the seagate 1TB and got a replacement. At this time I also got a new Seagate 320 to act as my OS drive. Installed the new drives. Both were recognized by the AHCI controler. Problem solved? NO! after a few attempts (Vista threw up some errors the first two times I attempted to install, things like drive not compatible? and sometimes the drive would not be recognized) I got the OS installed, then tryed to install a driver from my DVD rom. It gave an error and the "C:" drive disapeared from the my computer list of drives. Tryed to re-install vista, but vista install no longer recognized the 320G, only the 1TB was recognized. I took the new 320G to another machine. It recognized and formatted fine. So I believe I have the same issue you have. I get blue screens, cash errors ect. all the same as you have discribed. Ram test is fine etc. I have been building computers for years (I am an OEM) and have never seen such issues. There are a few things left to try, like flashing the firmware of the 7200.11 HD, but I am going to contact Gigabyte directly for a resolution and I will post my findings.

I am the guy that had the trouble free build that posted earlier and promised pictures. Hopefully, here they are.

1. The familiar Gigabyte BIOS main screen. I just loaded optimized defaults.

2. The MIT screen. I left everything stock.

3. Standard CMOS. I removed the floppy.

4. Advanced BIOS. For HTPC I wanted HDMI out, CoolnQuiet, SMART to check HD temp in the little case, and no floppy.
    [img]http://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gama78gpmds2h04le1.jpg
    [/img]

5. Integrated peripherals. I set SATA type to AHCI, and port 4/5 to Sata
    I also needed a USB mouse and keyboard.
    [img]http://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gama78gpmds2h05sy4.jpg
    [/img]

6. Power Mgmt. I set to S3 suspend and disabled the USB wakeup from S3 to stop noise from the USB wireless keyboard waking up the computer.

7. PnP/PCI was left as auto for both settings.

8. Finally - PCHealth screen shows that F7 optimised defaults set the memory volts to 2v and the cpu core to 1.2V
    [img]http://img392.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gama78gpmds2h08hl3.jpg
    [/img]

9. Here is my grandson putting in the motherboard. His first build.
    [img]http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img7922jhtpcemailhm4.jpg
    [/img]

Hope this helps.

Looking at the litany of errors, I'd be first trying another PSU, preferably on a breadboard (out-of-box) assembly, starting with the bare necessities to get it going and adding components one at a time until either the system is fully loaded or the errors show up.

BTW, you probably DO need to install SATA drivers in XP via the F6 method even if not using RAID, but the fact you get the same errors from an IDE install suggests you may have a component problem.

I usually start with PSU, motherboard, 1 stick of RAM, DOS floppy, an old PCI video card, mouse, keyboard and screen (just enough to access BIOS, set it to its lowest configuration and run stress tests.)

From there it's a simple (though time-consuming) matter to change and add components until either you reach the desired configuration or something fails.

Once you have it driving the components you plan to install, it's time to load your OS.

If all is fine so far, set BIOS to its optimum factory configuration and run your tests again.

Only when it reliably passes all tests should you assemble it into your chosen case then run the tests again.

Now, when all seems perfect, is when you can think about such follies as overclocking.

That system (modified a bit as the parts supply developed, of course) has served me well for many years I built my first computer (with a soldering iron, mostly, plus a multimeter, screwdriver, pliers, hacksaw, a heap of very expensive bits and pieces and not much confidence...) in 1977.

Strangely, it worked as have nearly all the machines (literally hundreds was in the business for most of the 1980's, then retired) I've put together since.

If you can't get a stable system this way you may well have a faulty motherboard, but at least you'll know how to isolate a fault.

Incidentally, I'll be assembling my first P45 system shortly (a UD3R with E8500 and 2x2GB the first Intel system I've done for quite a while.)

Thanks for the Pics jbrucegraham, so you are all stable right?

PCbuilder you are adding memory controller voltage, setting your ram voltage and setting refresh to Act delay (tRFC - not sure in AMD) to 195 or 327 for 2x2GB right?

Hello guys, thanks for all the posts, thought you had all forgotten.

The truth is, the problem is...... SORTED!!!

Haven't got time to explain now, as have to go out. But will in due course.

So happy!!!

Please do post back what all you did, there is another member who is now having a similar nightmare.

I say... Intel all the way!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information