Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Building a new GA-EP45-DS3L machine

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Building a new GA-EP45-DS3L machine

Ya, you can always do a Repair install on XP and then all you would need to install again would be your windows updates, all your software and such would still be there.

Here is two guides about doing a repair XP install >>>
    How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

W/ Images >>>
    How-to repair Windows XP

You would need to set AHCI in the BIOS and boot right to the CD to start the process, that way AHCI is loaded/set. Then just be sure to hit F6 and load the driver

I'll give it some thought.

On another note, I'm pretty sure I hooked up my audio properly but when I plug my headphones into the front panel jack it doesn't switch from speaker out to headphone out. I also don't have anything plugged into the microphone jack on the back but plugging it in on the front doesn't have any effect. Internally, there were two different sets of cords leading from the front panel, one marked Intel High Definition Audio, the other, AC'97. Since the on-board sound is Realtek I went with the AC'97 but as I mentioned before, I put in a PCI sound card, which is what my speakers are plugged in to. I am guessing that it's this disconnect that's causing my problem.

So, how do I solve it? :)
    Capslock is cruise control for cool!

Well you have HD onboard Audio so you should connect the HD and hope your AC Connection did not fry it. As for your add in card, you cant have both I do not think. If you use the card you should disable Azalia in the BIOS, but you may be able to use both so for sure test it out.

I am pretty sure your headphone/front jack issue is you used the wrong connector as the pinouts are different it would not work for your hadphones

Eww. That bad, huh? I'll have a look tonight. I could have sworn the board supported AC'97 and that that's how to hook it up...

It does support it, but you have to switch the wires around. The manual has the pinouts for each way

OK, I took a look around and honestly, I'm not sure how there could have been a short. To my knowledge, I hooked everything up exactly as you're supposed to for AC'97. Bottoms of the jacks look identical even if they're wired slightly differently. They even both have the same hole blocked out which is precisely where there's a gap in the pins. I switched over to HD, uninstalled the drivers under Windows and let the computer detect and re-install them. Detected everything OK and automatically installed the drivers but still, no dice.

Now, there are two concerns. First, I have an "Unknown Device" listed under Other Devices in my device manager. It's always been there. No idea what it is.

Second, and I think this one's important (and perhaps related), when I first loaded everything up I got a nice big Gigabyte sound control panel. Neat. Except it would NOT go away. I tried clicking "OK," I tried closing it, I tried minimizing it, every few seconds it would pop up again and fill most of the screen. I looked around for a "leave me alone" button and couldn't find any. So... I uninstalled it. In retrospect, probably not the best idea since now I can't seem to get it back, at least not with the install CD. Looking in the manual, I see that there are some functions to do with the front panel and AC'97 support and whatnot that I'm supposed to do through there. I'm downloading a copy of the latest HD Audio drivers from Gigabyte's homepage now and it's almost 30MB so that's a little promising but we'll see. :/

By the way, is there really any benefit to me using AC'97 over HD Audio?

Oh, I just took a better look at the Unknown device the details seem to indicate it is indeed part of the HD Audio system. I'm hoping it's the driver I uninstalled. Hoping hard. :/

Made some progress! Installing the drivers did make the control panel come back and did get the Unknown Device to uh.. be... known. It's also not popping up like it used to. It detects when I plug my headphones and mic into the front panel but instantly detects that they're UNplugged, usually. Once or twice it accepted that the mic was still plugged in. :P I did a search and found it's not an unusual problem and that the "fix" was to turn off detection. I did that and now it doesn't bug be about plugging and unplugging, and everything works (took me a little tinkering to get the mic to work).

I've got about 4 recording devices and 3 playback devices listed under my sound options now. :P But really, the HD Audio is pretty good. Makes me wonder if I should just take out the sound card. Not like Creative Labs' "EAX" is all that impressive. I've plugged my speakers into the back panel and it'll actually use both my speakers and the front panel headphones at the same time, but that's fine. That's what power buttons are for.

So I guess my questions are:

- How do I get the front panel to work with my Sound Blaster card? I have not tried disabling Azalia in the BIOS yet.

- Is it worth it to get the sound card working?

- Now that I understand the system a little better, should I stick with HD Audio or switch to AC'97?

Nice to see you are getting somewhere. About the front panel headers, even though the plug is the same the wires inside for each type are not. Just telling you since you asked about that. You can see the difference on page 26 of your manual

Azalia would need to be disabled for the addin card to work, I am not sure how, if at all, you could get that to work with the front panel.

You may be able to leave azalia on for the front and use the card for the back, but I am not sure how that would work out with different drivers needed for each.

I can tell you if you want to stop the realtek device from being in your tray at startup you can and it will still work fine. I do this for sure with mine. In windows defender go to tools then software explorer, then be sure you are in the category "Startup Programs" and scroll down and find the HD audio control panel and disable it. When you reboot it will not start with windows anymore. Yes you can open it anytime from the Control Panel and it will work as normal.

HD is better for sure, but it may not matter if you are only using 2 small speakers. I guess It all depends on your speakers and what you use them for

You may be able to leave azalia on for the front and use the card for the back, but I am not sure how that would work out with different drivers needed for each.
    I can do that but my computer won't output to both sources at once.

Thanks again for the help. I guess I'm just going to use the HD audio until I find a compelling reason to use the sound card.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information